My blog

"...leave me curled up in my ball,
    surrounded by plush, downy things,
    ill prepared, but willing,
    to descend."

Comment

Re: The Whack-Job Threshold

Originally posted by ChainLightning View Post
      It IS the presentation. We've seen that, quite clearly, in this very thread.

Most people on the site, here, have no bones about another's beliefs until those beliefs are presented in a fashion that offends, at least, one's sensibilities.

Specifically, as an example, if I believe in flying purple monkeys, nobody would really bat an eyelash. Maybe a quiet, "yeah, whatever" under their breath and go about their business - or at most, a tinfoil hat joke. It's when I start telling detailed stories and expect readers to believe in the same flying purple monkeys just because I said so, even though I might even try to back it up with some flying purple monkey anecdotes, that people starting putting up a hand to ward me off.

Ward off that lunacy, lest it be contagious. Or fatal.

It's really what people expect me to think (and sometimes do) that fires my WJT. And that expectation is only shown by their presentation, not by their beliefs.
      Definitely agreed.

Comment

My most whack-job limit is groups or even single people that think they have the right to force their beliefs on everyone, not just be willing to bombard you with it,but try and make laws to MAKE you follow their path.

---------- Post added at 05:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:52 PM ----------

Speaking of whack-jobs there is this.

Quote "In interviews with Peter King of CBS, The Huffington Post and other media outlets, Hill revealed he is in possession of secret scrolls that are written by beings from another planet. Those documents, Hill claims, give him the authority to assume presidential leadership without a democratic election."

Perhaps it could be said you need to be crazy to want to be president these days anyway.
        Last edited by anunitu; 21 Feb 2012, 14:09.
        MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
        NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
        don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
        http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

I'm also trying to come to grips with the otherkin thing. I know logically that self-identification is personal ad nobody else's business, and i know that by identifying as otherkin you harm no one. I just have some mean bully voice in my head saying "that's just so stupid". It's a work in progress.

I also get snorty and harumphy when discussions of demons and sanguine or energy vampires get mentioned.
          Please disregard typos in above post. I browse the web on a Nook and i suck at typing on touch screens.

Comment

I have found an entire website dedicated to some of my favorite WJT topics... like chemtrails, and the sylphs that fight chemtrails.

http://educate-yourself.org/lte/lasv...s19jan09.shtml

I dunno where people are seeing sylphs in those photos... all I see are vapor trails & clouds. Oh, and the desert sun.
            The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

I...think my brain just broke, Perz.

I wish I could say that didn't hit a bit close to home with the way I grew up, too...
              Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

My WJT... Let's see.

- Anyone with a name that sounds like it came out of a Forgotten Realms novel. That may be ugly of me, but really... If you're the High Priest of a coven and you call yourself Lord Bumsniffer with Lady Adjective-Noun, then I'm going to roll my eyes at you. I think I've actually seen a Lord Merlin and Lady Avalon on Witchvox before. Note: hippie children get a pass as do people who legally change their name.

- Anyone who thinks less of me for keeping my name. I used to hang with some folks that were into Wicca and they would press for Craft names. "What's your Craft name?" "My name is Gabriel." "Yeah, but what's your craft name?" "GABRIEL." I would like to change my last name but that's just because I'm vain (Gabriel Constantine... sounds like an effing super-hero's name, right there).

- Woo-woo people. That's an ugly term and if I'm being harsh, then you can say so. My wife and I have had a conversation like this:

Me: I wish I could be Pagan.
                Wife: Okay... what's stopping you?
                Me: Other Pagans.

Woo-woo people are hard to define but I think New Ager is probably the closest thing. If you can see my aura and convince me that you're being genuine, I won't bat an eyelash. If I think that you can SEE MY POWERFUL AURA because you want to be a level 25 Wizard-Master and be feared because you get your ass kicked at school, then I will probably hold you in contempt for the rest of your days.

What's odd about this one is that I was married to an Asatruar once upon a time. She put out offerings to the land spirits and house wights, wore a Mjolnr amulet, and always had a rubber mallet with her that she was convinced was her sign from the gods. I never batted an eyelash. I supported her completely, so this one doesn't have an exact borderline.

- Christian Scientists that perform faith-healing on their loved ones in lieu of conventional medicine. I'm sorry.. only someone completely insane would do something like this.

- People that pretend modern science has some agenda or just plain doesn't exist. Adam and Eve people, Noah's Ark people, people that believe the bones of dinosaurs are an elaborate hoax by Satan to cause good Christians to stumble (yes, really), etc.
                There once was a man who said though,
                It seems that I know that I know,
                What I'd like to see,
                Is the I that knows me,
                When I know that I know that I know.

Comment

I was super surprised that I missed this thread, until I realized that it started while I was net-less over the summer, lol.

Ummm...

Biblical Creationists. Otherkin. Vampire wanna-be. Addicted gamer shut-ins that ignore their children (I played WoW, its really not hard to put the keyboard down and go feed your baby or play a game with you kid...or to go to a job or get your GED). PETA members (mostly because PETA is one of the most hypocritical organizations ever). "Everyone should do *this* because I think *that* is wrong" people. Homophobes. The Virginia General Assembly Republicans (transvaginal ultrasounds, WTF?). Platypus (weirdest animals ever). "The South Shall Rise Again" types.

...I'm sure I could think of more, but I have'n had my (Constant Comment=Coffee) for me tea yet
                  Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                    Addicted gamer shut-ins that ignore their children (I played WoW, its really not hard to put the keyboard down and go feed your baby or play a game with you kid...or to go to a job or get your GED).
                    Seriously. I had a full-time job AND got my Associates all while playing WoW, lol. It was mainly because maintenance nights were on one of my days off, so I had nothing better to do with my time than study :/
                    The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

People who cant accept that people are Gay, thats the biggest "What is wrong with you people..." i can think of... its 2012, why is this news to some people? i would include the landover baptist church but they arnt realy people, just parasites.

Otherkin aswell, the people who dont want to be people. its fine if your doing LARP or something, but to yiff about in a massive dog costume or prance about pretending to be a vampire as day to day life... thats when you need help

Comment

When you quit your job to become a mermaid.
                        Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

I remember seeing someone made the flippers and whatnot! More importantly, what does that pay?
                          my etsy store
                          My blog

"...leave me curled up in my ball,
                          surrounded by plush, downy things,
                          ill prepared, but willing,
                          to descend."

Comment

I think I need to get on a mailing list to keep up with all the terms, I think you Caelia mentioned in another thread about Godwin's Law of Internet Arguments. I had not been aware about that one. No,I checked,and it was Jembru that mentioned that. Otherkin was another that I didn't know about,but it kinda sounds like Furbies or something. Where do I sign up for the "WTF is cool,and what does that internet acronym stand for" newletter.
                            MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                            NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                            don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                            http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by Stoph View Post
                              People who cant accept that people are Gay, thats the biggest "What is wrong with you people..." i can think of... its 2012, why is this news to some people? i would include the landover baptist church but they arnt realy people, just parasites.
                              I think you probably meant the Westboro Baptist Church...the so-called Landover Baptist Church is just a parody website.

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
                              I think I need to get on a mailing list to keep up with all the terms, I think you Caelia mentioned in another thread about Godwin's Law of Internet Arguments. I had not been aware about that one. No,I checked,and it was Jembru that mentioned that. Otherkin was another that I didn't know about,but it kinda sounds like Furbies or something. Where do I sign up for the "WTF is cool,and what does that internet acronym stand for" newletter.

Lol, I think you just start a thread!
                              Last edited by thalassa; 23 Feb 2012, 05:24. Reason: double post
                              Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                              sigpic

Comment

For me, personally...there's a lot of gray with things like furries, otherkin, "psychic vampires" etc. Personally, I find it rather strange. But I've known people who fit each of those categories and were really nice people...most of them had really messed-up childhoods, and so I tend to cut them some slack. I'd much rather deal with someone who wore a fox tail or cat ears every day, or experienced attraction to something random like certain types of rubber, and was totally harmless then someone who looks entirely "normal" due to serious repression and self-loathing, if that makes sense.

At the same time, though, I have very little tolerance for somewhat more mainstream New Age ideas like homeopathy and reiki. There are wonderful people on this board who feel very strongly about those, and I respect their opinions, but it just doesn't click for me, at all.
                                Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

Working...
                                X