Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Homeschool-type Resources

Hi, Thal,

I was homeschooled "all my life" (I attended courses at the local college for high school, a practice in my area equated with the highest levels of "home school" even though it's not really).

I don't have hard resources right now, but depending on your kods' ages (sounds like they're young), I can suggest some activities from my early curriculum. We used to get newsletters from a really cool scientist guy who designed simple science activities for children.

1. Hot Air Rising--make your own hot air balloon!
    (For hot sunny days)
    You will need:
    A black garbage bag
    A string
    Lots of Sun--start early in the day

a) Open trash bag and fill with air, probably best done by simply catching as much air inside as possible and quickly tying it closed

b) Tie string to the bag--this can be your seal, or you can knot the bag shut and tie the string before the knot

c) Sit the bag directly in sunlight. It may have to be adjusted throughout the day.

d) Tie the other end of the string loosely to something

e) Wait!

The balloon should eventually rise in the sunlight. While you're waiting, you can explain the principles at work. Hot air rises; black attracts sunlight; the bag is light enough to rise.

I personally had much delight carrying around my self-made giant trash bag balloon. It was well over my perhaps six-year-old head.

More to come if you find it helpful. Many of the experiments I know include ice cream, because the scientist was a sweet tooth. Sometimes, he would just unrelatedly tack on to the end of experiments: "Then, fill a bowl with ice cream. Get a spoon. Enjoy!"

Comment

Re: Homeschool-type Resources

Siloh, thanks! Those are some great ideas...

Also, I've been working on slideshow phonics "flash cards" for Chickadee--she likes to use the computer, and its good reinforcement for our phonics stuff.
      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
      sigpic

Comment

Working...
      X