What the heck is that?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What the heck is that?

SWEET! I have never seen a stick bug ! I see praying mantis all the time though
    sigpic

Comment

Absolutely beautiful.... I love seeing new creatures of nature. Thank you for sharing. I live in Michigan also, recently went up to the UP for a trip back in June. Northern Michigan, Lake Huron, Lake Michigan, Lake Superior... such beautiful places, beautiful formations/land untouched for thousands of years. I suggest anyone to visit Michigan's UP before it's destroyed by the human decline </cynicism and realism>. I like to think there are parts of the world that will stay in tact, but out reign has even reached the devastation of the glorious Amazon...

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
      Yup - stickbugs and praying mantises... so cool, I get excited everytime I find one!
      I have a wide soft spot for both. I adore the stickbug far more, though. I haven't been blessed to see one of those beauties in many years. I can't wait to see another.

Comment

Wonderful state, isn't it?

Did you get up to Tequamenon Falls while you were in the UP? That's one of my favorite places to camp - spent my honeymoon there...
        Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

It's been a bunper year for bugs around here...

Speaking of praying mantises, here's one I found on the window screen last night -

Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

That's really cute! Great find Corbin

Comment

Thanks, PharaohKatt!

Although I don't think I'd call the mantis cute. I was thinking more along the lines of an alien from the Planet of Sudden Death.

But cute works too .

Comment

Come on, mantises are completely cute. With their little bug eyes, the pointy feet, the blending in to grass. Insects are cute ^_^

Comment

I think the mantis is pretty cute...I mean, the females obviously think the male is cute enough to eat...

Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                  sigpic

Comment

Eewe... just eewe...

Well, I hope it was worth it to him...

Comment

Reminds me of my ex-wife!
                      Love is the centre of all things. Fear is the destroyer of beauty and lives. Anything a despot can do to a people, humanity and community can heal and undo.

"Life is too short to worry about the little things. Better to let the moms of the world do that. They are great at it." - Madelyn Alt

Comment

NOTE: I did NOT take this photo, but still an interesting bee

When I was younger I was helping my friend and her neighbor do some yard work when I heard her scream. She found a nest of these guys on the ground! I think their official name is Chrysididae, but they are also called the Cuckoo wasp.
                        sigpic

Comment

Wow! Look at those metalic colors! It looks like anodized niobium...

Comment

[QUOTE=thalassa;50315]I think the mantis is pretty cute...I mean, the females obviously think the male is cute enough to eat...

[/QUOT

That's scary!
                            Last edited by Monk; 23 Sep 2011, 05:41.
                            Gargoyles watch over me...I can hear them snicker in the dark.

Pull the operating handle (which protrudes from the right side of the receiver) smartly to the rear and release it.

Comment

Working...
                            X