How did you fare?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How did you fare?

This year spring came late ... Everything was a month or so behind ... Still waiting to pick a zucchinni or cuke ... Sugar peas came on the beginning of last month ... Will harvest first beans in a week or so ... AAAAAAARRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH ...

Zucchinni had male flowers for the first three weeks then started a few females ...
    I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The Chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Re: How did you fare?

Everything was very late here. Sunflowers are only just starting to open....
    www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Hmmm over here, we had a beautiful, early spring, but no summer so to speak, so didn't fare well at all. All my plants grew up well and flowered beautifully but then it got too cold and dark and nothing grew bigger or ripened. I'm only getting a few straggling tomatoes, peppers and eggplant. Nothing even close to previous years numbers though. And temperatures are dropping quickly so I think I will be making green tomato chutney soon.

Early in the season I did have a few cucumbers, zucchini, arugula and lettuce, before it got too cold.

I'm thankful to have anything at all, but part of me is quite disappointed. Not just for the lack of produce, but also I'm a summer baby and I live for sun and heat. It was far too cold and now I have to wait almost a whole year for it again

I'm saving up to go to Croatia in April...I need the sun so badly!

Comment

Lots of tomatoes on the vines but most of them are still green. Had about twenty or so that ripened nicely the rest are just there. The two tomato plants grew so large that they obliterated the pepper plants.
        Gargoyles watch over me...I can hear them snicker in the dark.

Pull the operating handle (which protrudes from the right side of the receiver) smartly to the rear and release it.

Comment

ONE DANG ZUCCHINNI AND ONE CUCUMBER ... Everything else came up great ... Late but great ...
          I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The Chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Comment

Only one zucchini! Yeesh! Normally if someone plants those they're giving them away by the bucketload.
            Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

I'm going back to planting flowers, the veggies were a bust for the most part.
              Gargoyles watch over me...I can hear them snicker in the dark.

Pull the operating handle (which protrudes from the right side of the receiver) smartly to the rear and release it.

Comment

In August I had to leave the garden I spent all spring and summer cultivating. I know we had pumpkins, LOADS of yellow summer squash, a few zucchini (seed packets were messed up somehow, I know we planted more than 2 rows), BOATLOADS of carrots, tomatoes galore, a few corn stalks that survived the midsummer storms, broccoli by the wagon-load, cauliflower, cabbage enough to make probably six buckets of kraut, and chard...that no one bought. >_<
                No one tells the wind which way to blow.

Comment

Alas my tomatoes and cucumbers got the blight. To much rain in to short of a time period.
                  Last edited by Crynnath; 17 Oct 2011, 18:55. Reason: Stupid iPhone
                  If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows. ---Henry Ward Beecher

Comment

I wasn't even able to plant until after August (I moved) so I was planting whatever I could pick up at our local nursery and some garlic. The garlic is coming up great, despite being moved into the ground after putting roots into the ground through pot bottoms... lol my tomato plant is looking kind of sickly, as are my pepper plants - but the pepper plants at least I know are okay. They seem to wilt every time we get even the slightest breeze! Still producing, though. Must have gotten almost a dozen jalapenos, and half a dozen "baby" green peppers. My artichokes are well-established in the ground already, but due to the late planting, not expecting to get anything this season out of them. My herbs (still currently in pots - haven't gotten to putting them in ground yet) are doing amazingly well - though my lavender is blooming slooooooowly compared to what I'm used to up north.

EDIT:
                    Bjorn - I WISH I had room for the kind of crop you're talking about! Oh, the fun I would have...

Comment

Working...
                    X