What qualifies as a spell?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What qualifies as a spell?

To start off, please forgive me if this is either a repeated or misplaced thread. I am rather new at all of this, so feel free to correct me. I have been wondering for a while what really qualifies as a "spell" to the vast majority of Pagans. Some have been adamant that a proper spell requires precise rituals, tools, and training while others are of the opinion that a spell is simply making a conscious effort to put a bit of magick into whatever action they are doing at that moment. Personally, I believe that every breathe, movement, and thought is just a part of the magickal ritual that is our lives and that the more conscious of that a person is, the more effective they will be. What are your qualifying factors for what makes a spell and what doesn't?

Re: What qualifies as a spell?

IMO: Spells use words (written or spoken) to direct change in accordance with will.

Magic, in its most basically accepted definition by magic practitioners, is the art and science of causing change to occur in conformity of will. The "fuel" for magic (allegorically speaking) can be divinity (asking for a deity's assistance or intercession), it can be one's own will, it can be nature, group will or energy, etc. A spell is a type of magic in which a written or spoken formula is used to cause of influence events. When I bake love into the brownies I'm sending with the hubby to have a good day at work, or put some healing energy into a pot of soup, or clean the mad out after a fight, all of that is just energy work--its not really a spell, though its still magic. You don't need all the "extras"' for a spell...but (IMO) you *do* need a stated intent. The power of a spell is in the words that are spoken as much as the energy behind them--the words are the vehicle for that energy, so to say.
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Comment

Re: What qualifies as a spell?

My belief is anytime you seek assistance from a power higher then yourself to get something accomplished you are doing a spell. So I guess that would include prayers as well.
      sigpic

Comment

Working...
      X