This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: belated

Which are some of the cooler tarot decks you've found? I've been thinking about branching out from my standard issue Rider-Waite, but I'm not sure where to go beyond the standard issue suggestion of Crowley's Thoth Deck.

Comment

You sound wonderful.

Welcome to the Forum!

Mostly art.

Comment

Hey! Welcome to the boards
        My Tumblr
        My Webcomic
        My Twitter

Comment

Aeran, the RWS was my first deck, and even now I like to keep it in mind while doing a reading with another deck. My general approach is to base my reading primarily on the symbol, or symbols I see on the card(s), and how they are connected to the situation at hand. I never use astrology - I can't say anything against it, and in fact, my wife even graduated from the Moscow Astrological Academy some time ago, but after long talks with her I had eventually decided that it's not my cup of tea. I used to study Kabbalah, the history of Tarot, religious symbolism, Jungian ideas, and they might be helpful during a reading, but they are of secondary importance. As to basic numerology and the symbolism of the suits, court cards and major arcana archetypes, well, these are unavoidable.

I am saying all this just to outline what I expect from a deck in order to be useful. Rich symbolism and surreal, twisted imagery have priority over all systems and correspondences embedded in it.

So now to the particular decks. I have only recently bought Barbara Walker's Tarot. It's truly pagan and surreal, and there are deities in place of court cards. I've heard an opinion that this deck is too dark - can't say I understand why.

Tarot of the Trance - some cards look like abstractions, but you can always recognize the details. It's not unlike Paul Klee's approach, but very different in style. Has a strong indigenous feel.

Sun and Moon Tarot - simple, bright and beautiful. Minimum of details, human figures are small, faces indistinct; but highly unusual and inventive implementations.

Deviant Moon Tarot - it seems that everyone likes it. Feels as if you are in an out-of-business doll-house, and suddenly the dolls begin to move, which might be terrifying or exciting, depending on your attitude.

The Tarot of the Silicon Dawn - can't describe it, except that it is radically modern and non-traditional in many aspects. I haven't used it much, but it is certainly worth of mentioning.

The Secret Tarot by Jane Lyle - simple and stylized, quite pagan. Dionysus in place of the Devil, Phoenix in place of Death.

There are also so-called historical decks. They look now very unique and unusual, and mostly people find them difficult to use, which maybe means that they were created not for divination, perhaps just for art's sake.

Also I think now you can find a deck based on any particular theme - tribal, ancient Egyptian, medieval, Lovecraftian; steampunk, vampires, animals, particular painters, anything you want. Some of these thematic decks are good. I like, for example, Medieval Scapini (very Kabbalistic) and Medieval Tarot by Guido Zibordi Marchesi.

Well, I can talk about it indefinitely, so if you have questions or anything to share, I am glad to continue.

- - - Updated - - -

And thank you, Volcaniclastic and Wisp!

Comment

Late but Hi lol

I guess I forgot to introduce thyself :^^: ::. I've been hanging out in the chat where I've made friends and one of the mods of the chat pointed out my stupidity in forgetting to introduce who I am.

My user name and the name I wish to be addressed by is Serria and this is actually my penname and the main character in stories I write, Serria Yisasia.
            I am a 16 year old Solitary Wiccan.
            I am not Fluff, ask my lil chat friends haha :^^:
            I am relatively crazy and opinionated

I love candles, fire(pyromaniac mwhahahaha :devil and eucalyptus
            I connect to cats (like my furry familiar girl whom I loveee), snakes, horses, and the mythical phoenix

I like to take Pride in my knowledge of spirits of almost any form and I am able to easily connect and contact them and I don't really fear them too often
            I generally use a lot of candles and fire in rituals because it sums up my personality
            I follow Apollo and Selene but I am closer to my Goddess Selene
            I love Astronomy, designing Wedding and Prom dresses, writing stories, and drawing/reading/watching manga/anime.
            A Happy Little Wiccan:^^:

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Because who needs a life when you have a chatroom.

Comment

Re: Late but Hi lol

Welcome aboard!
              [4:82]

Comment

Hi

Used to be a member here, and then lost access to internet for an age, and track of the forum. Here I am again. I still have a menagerie of animals, who are my dearest friends.

Comment

Re: Hi

Welcome to the Forum!

Mostly art.

Comment

Welcome to the forum!

Mostly art.

Comment

Hello and welcome to the Fabulous Forum of Friendly and Funny Frogs and Fishes.
                      MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                      NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                      don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                      http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Welcome, Sierra

Comment

We've already chatted, but Hello! Nice intro
                          My Tumblr
                          My Webcomic
                          My Twitter