Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I think I paid too much for my computer...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think I paid too much for my computer...

A company in India has developed a computer which will be sold through their government for about $35 (they actually cost $45, but gov't subsidies will lower the cost).

http://www.world-science.net/exclusi...601_parrot.htm

It appears to be like a low memory iPad. The Indian government is trying to bring their less wealthy rural folk the advantages of the Internet and computing.

I wonder why American and European companies aren't working towards VERY low cost technology?

Yes, I understand that technology gets cheaper over time, but the trend seems to be to keep the costs high by constantly adding new features, or increasing the power beyond what most people actually need - unless they play a lot of games...
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Re: I think I paid too much for my computer...

Because their interested in high profits and not the poor. It's not unlike the drug company's that sell a drug overseas for ten to twenty-five cents each and yet charge us here ten to twenty-five dollars each(or more)for the same pill. Why make twenty of something when you can make one and make the same(if not more) profit.
    Gargoyles watch over me...I can hear them snicker in the dark.

Pull the operating handle (which protrudes from the right side of the receiver) smartly to the rear and release it.

Comment

LOL - then they have screwed themselves royally.

If a company can produce functional, reasonably reliable iPad-like devices (even if they are not as fast or memory loaded as an actual iPad) for $45, they will be able to sell them to pretty much every school in the world - at a rate of one per child. They will be a very cost effective alternative to textbooks, writing and testing material, as well as giving every kid an opportunity to cruise for por... er, I mean, do research, at any time during a class.

We are talking about enormous sums of money for this alone. A standard textbook - paper version - $75 per kid. They need to be replaced about once every three years. Imagine how much money can be saved...
      Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

When India says it's coming out with a "low cost computer" for their students, be wary,

In 2007, India's government said it was working to make available a $10 laptop computer. It later said the laptop would cost $100. It is not known if the $35 tablet computer is related to that project.
        While 100 dollars is still inexpensive, it's 10 times the estimated amount. Which would put the new computer at around $350, the Amazon Kindle Fire will be released this year that is very similar to the iPad for $199.

Comment

Well, If I understood the article correctly ( at least the article I posted), the $45 computer is what they came up with on their way to the $10 dollar one. And it's in the process of being distrubuted.

But, when I went back to double check the article, I discovered that I posted the wrong link, and I can't find the right one. I'm a boob.

Comment

Working...
          X