Tobacco blend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tobacco blend

Does anyone know any tobacco blends that work well for cerimonial or ritual use. The local tobacconist does custom blends for the same price as his house blend so custom blends will not be an issue to get.
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows. ---Henry Ward Beecher

Re: Tobacco blend

Can you get tobacco plants in the US? Just wondering because you can here, but I can see it being something that would be more regulated in countries with better tobacco regulation.

EDIT in a move to answer my own question I googled it and it seems plants are widely available in the US.

Anyway I don't practice with tobacco but I use herbs a lot and personally I prefer to use herbs I picked wild or grew myself.

Comment

As much as I would like to grow my own tobacco it is not practicle to do so. I don't have the room nor the needed tools to prep the tobacco for smoking. There is a barn on the property but I don't let anyone in it since a random act of possum flatulence could knock it over.
      If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows. ---Henry Ward Beecher

Comment

Ahhhh gotcha.

I admit I don't really know much about tobacco. I'm pretty hardcore anti-smoking. Just figured that if people grew it here in the city (and with our death cold winters) it might not be that hard. But then again I don't know anyone who has tried either....just saw it for sale in the garden shop (the city one with largely foot traffic) and a couple of people buying it. But maybe they knew what they were doing!

Comment

Not everyone that uses tobacco smokes it. I don't smoke but I use tobacco for my medicine bundle and for making despachos and during fire ceremonies.

As for mixed blends, I need to ask my mother what she uses. She gave me a mixed blend that consisted of really old tobacco from her adoptive father mixed with some cherry blend. I don't know the brands, but I can ask my mother if she remembers.
          �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
          ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
          Sneak Attack
          Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

The common garden flower, nicotiana http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/774/#b, is an ornamental tobacco plant, with small trumpet shaped flowers (it's related to datura & tomato).

It's usually not smoked, although I'm not sure why - taste? Too high or too low in nicotine? Leaves too small to be economically viable?

Nictotia rustica is the "wild" tobacco most commonly used (traditionally) by Native Americans. You can get plants, leaves, or seeds from companies that specialize in "shamanic plants," like Bouncing Bear Botanicals - http://www.bouncingbearbotanicals.co...cco-p-157.html

You don't need special tools to dry it out. Just hang it from the rafters in a warm shadowed place. Plants grow easily in pots.

If you don't want to go that route, old fashioned twist or plug tobacco was used for trade and became the traditional form that many Native Americans used ritually http://www.smokes-spirits.com/StoreD...6/category/371
            Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

This topic has gotten a little off topic. I can get tobacco farely easy, even organic if I need it. What I am looking for is a blend be it different types of tobacco or tobacco and an herb such as deer's tongue, which is a somewhat common ingrediant in blends.
              Thank you for the replies. B.D.C. I will look into those species and I'll ask around about Nicatiana being used to smoke.

Comment

In that case, what you are looking for is usually called "kinnickinnik."

It's usually based on willow bark, and may or may not contain tobacco - and the exact herbs that are in it generally depend on the locality from which it originates.

I can't run a search right now, (internet acting wonky) but you should be able to find it on the Internet from somewhere (fur trade era reenactors often have it).

There should also be plenty of recipes floating around.
                Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Ok thank you I will do a search for it.

Comment

Working...
                  X