This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What is LIBERTY?

It seems to me that you think BASIC means substandard or something. To me basic is standard. You should be able to look at it and go "Yeah, that's alright."

Imagine all those things you had, but better. That's above standard, exceptional. You know, worth paying for.
    Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

Ok, well I was talking about the systems we already have in most western countries that aren't the US, so I was confused. I wasn't saying we need more, I'm saying we need what we have (except in Germany, I think we need more, or at least better organized).

Comment

Then why all the flipping out about poor kids "only" getting basic education? That's the same thing that middle class, and even some upper class folk get for their kids.
        Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

To be fair, I wasn't the only one who misinterpreted what you meant...you weren't very clear. Basic to most people doesn't really mean what was described later in this thread. When I think 'basic' in terms of health care, for example, I think of a lot of private plans in the US that don't cover a lot of things. Whereas here, no matter what you have on public, you get covered, as long as it's for health reasons and you're not asking for a nose job or something. And 'basic' education sounds lot like just core subjects, not anything like arts or sports, which are also integral to education.

Comment

It's sad that people think of basic as less than adequate. Look at what you just said, to you basic education sounds like it would be lacking things that are "integral to education."

If it was lacking that it would be substandard, less than basic.

Comment

I don't think 'adequate' really does anything justice though. I wouldn't say our education system in Canada is 'adequate'...it's not without it's problems, but I'd say that it's 'good', not just 'good enough'.

Comment

If it's not "good" or better, then it is not "good enough." The thing about exceptional, is that it is by definition the exception... Hence the root word.

No matter how good or bad education is, there will be people who want better and can afford to make the right people want them to have better.

Comment

I guess i'm lucky...I did have an exceptional education. Part of that was the school and teachers but our system helps. That's why it's above the world average.

I still hold that 'basic' to me is sort of bottom, and you work up from there. It's like when you buy internet packages. Basic is the lowest one you can buy. I'm ok with my high taxes, but not if that's all our tax dollars got us.

I know that's not what you meant now, but you have to understand that this is where my confusion comes from, and I don't think I'm alone here because I by far was not the only one arguing with you.

Comment

Originally posted by Denarius View Post
                    If I stayed on the couch and didn't get a job, I WOULD BE POOR! Yeah, it won't work for everyone... Is that a reason not to try?

I am not saying, nor have I ever said, that all poor people are poor because they are lazy.

Are there people who are poor because they are lazy? Is that just a delusion of mine? Am I a madman for thinking that? Are they my "gremlin on the wing?"

Does the thought of such people offend you? Because it sure as hell offends me!
                    Most people are poor and work 3 jobs.

I did so. And I had a heart attack. And still work. And am still poor.
                    Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

I make just barely enough to both eat and buy videogames.
                      Oh the horrors.
                      The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
                        Most people are poor and work 3 jobs.
                        Again, you are focusing on the people who are not lazy... I have no problems with them. Why would I?

Comment

Again, you are focusing on the people who are not lazy... I have no problems with them. Why would I?
                          I think you have a view that most poor people are poor because they are lazy. In fact your views on poor people sound as if they are from some planet you know nothing about. It's quite off putting. As you can see many of the members here have pointed out. It's just weird to be honest. I don't want to be one of those who just dislikes you for your opinions. It's not that. It's something just really odd about it. Just being honest.
                          Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

I think this may help, Denarius. What I feel some are trying to illustrate is that a significant number of poor out there are called "working poor". This game was designed with that in mind:

Think you’ll never have to ask for help? Here’s your chance to prove it.
                            my etsy store
                            My blog

"...leave me curled up in my ball,
                            surrounded by plush, downy things,
                            ill prepared, but willing,
                            to descend."

Comment

Now, see I have no idea where you got that from. I have NEVER stated such a thing, just the opposite on a number of occasions.

I'd wager that most poor people are poor for reasons outside of their control, however that is not an excuse for being lazy and/or giving up.

You mention people who work three jobs and still can't get by. What about the people who cannot be bothered to even try to get work? The ones who get by selling drugs, stealing, gold digging, getting fradulant welfare, and whatnot?

My mother almost never bought food, why would she need to when there's a food bank nearby? You know what she bought? Beer, pills, and weed.

You know what food banks don't have a lot of? Fresh meat and vegetables. Hence the earlier mentioned malnutrition.

Comment

They do here...it's amazing.

I've only been once, but they pick up unused veggie platters from parties, produce that's less 'pretty' but still good from supermarkets, and you can also donate your bottle deposit at the supermarket (we take our bottles back to the supermarket here) to donate produce and other fresh goods to Berliner Tafel. I went there once to donate the extras from my tomato garden and some unwanted canned goods from my pantry and it was mostly fresh goods.

Back home it's all canned goods and I don't know why they don't do it more like Berlin?

---------- Post added at 02:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:00 PM ----------

Originally posted by Caelia View Post
                                I think this may help, Denarius. What I feel some are trying to illustrate is that a significant number of poor out there are called "working poor". This game was designed with that in mind:

http://playspent.org/
                                Playing it now...interesting game

True story, I could not bring myself to 'opt out' of health insurance, but it angered me that it was over $200 a month. WTF. If I lived in the US I'd so be protesting.

Also, how is it acceptable to raise rent without warning? How is that legal?

Back home, it depends on where you live I think (rental laws differ across Canada, I think) but in BC you can only raise rent each year up to a certain amount, at the end of the year. Here, you can only raise rents when they city says you can, and it can only be up to the percentage they say. If someone moves out, you can raise rent as much as you want, but as long as they're there, that's the rule. "If you don't like it, you can move out" is not an acceptable answer and if you call whatever office is responsible for it, they can get in major, major trouble. A coworker got illegally evicted from her apartment and the landlord got a massive fine from the city.

And getting laughed at for wanting to file workers comp?

If this is real, HOW THE HELL DO PEOPLE ACCEPT LIVING IN THIS COUNTRY????????? I honestly don't understand. A huge chunk of this stuff is totally unacceptable in a lot of the western world. Yes, we still have poverty, because as I said earlier there are a lot of mechanisms behind poverty, and yes there are still problems (less in some countries than others) but holy hell, it's not like this. Stuff like debt and bills don't go away no matter what country you're in, but stuff like workers comp, health insurance and expenses, tenants rights and pay are sooo much better.

I failed the typing test, and I type like 60 wpm (and that's a modest estimate I think...I'm known for crazy fast typing at work!)...it took me a couple of tries to realize that I use UK spelling automatically now (I have to write in UK English for my job). I was like 'wtf I type really fast!'
                                Last edited by DanieMarie; 10 Nov 2011, 05:34.

Comment

Working...
                                X