Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Police fire on Occupy Oakland protesters.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Police fire on Occupy Oakland protesters.

Originally posted by Caelia View Post
    We could always occupy the thread?

This is what I understood:

Some people are upset about the goings-ons of Occupy Oakland. Other people are saying it's deserved (I think it wasn't just LGR), and it's led to sweeping generalizations and anecdotes on both sides. At this point I think it's just discussing in general the Occupy Together goings-ons.
    Oh ok. I was reading something about Anti Semitic and tuned all the way out. I tuned out of Occupies once I saw Kanye at one of them.
    Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
      Oh ok. I was reading something about Anti Semitic and tuned all the way out. I tuned out of Occupies once I saw Kanye at one of them.
      Either way it's interesting to me. I see it as a liberal version of the Tea Party anyway, mostly in the sense that both groups are very angry, disenchanted, and feel some accountability needs to happen. I also have other opinions on the that topic, but this isn't the time to pull out the tin foil hat.
      my etsy store
      My blog

"...leave me curled up in my ball,
      surrounded by plush, downy things,
      ill prepared, but willing,
      to descend."

Comment

Originally posted by Caelia View Post
        Either way it's interesting to me. I see it as a liberal version of the Tea Party anyway, mostly in the sense that both groups are very angry, disenchanted, and feel some accountability needs to happen. I also have other opinions on the that topic, but this isn't the time to pull out the tin foil hat.
        Oh I feel you. And I would care more. But I have to do that thing that puts food in my mouth and a roof over my head. I have no time to deal with this. I'll let the optimistic people do that protesting out there for me instead. But if I see another hipster out there with one of those 99% signs, I'm going to roll up my paycheck stub, stick it in a bottle of hootch and set one on fire.

Just sayin.

*if it goes tinfoil hat time, I haz plenty to pass around.

Comment

Oh I feel you. And I would care more. But I have to do that thing that puts food in my mouth and a roof over my head. I have no time to deal with this. I'll let the optimistic people do that protesting out there for me instead. But if I see another hipster out there with one of those 99% signs, I'm going to roll up my paycheck stub, stick it in a bottle of hootch and set one on fire.

Just sayin.

*if it goes tinfoil hat time, I haz plenty to pass around.
          Oh, don't get me started on the hipsters! One hipster dipshit actually broke into a department store with Occupy Lawrence, stole a sign, and climbed to the top of the building to further their cause. The problem with what they did is the department store is locally owned and operated (has been for a century if I recall) and contributes a helluva lot to the community. I could understand a bit more if he did this at the "corporate corner" of that same street (we actually call it corporate corner) since they don't actually contribute much to the city but hurt them in taxes, but a local company? Not ok.

News source: http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2011/no...ter-climbing-/
          my etsy store
          My blog

"...leave me curled up in my ball,
          surrounded by plush, downy things,
          ill prepared, but willing,
          to descend."

Comment

Hipsters ruin everything.

Comment

Hipsters ruin everything.

Amen to that.
              Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

Originally posted by Dez View Post
                Amen to that.
                I 3rd that...I so wish people would educate themselves instead of jumping on a bandwagon not knowing it's origin, nor it's destination.....
                Allow me to lend a machete to your intellectual thicket. ~ Captain Jack Sparrow

sigpic

Comment

One of the things today that actually made me giggle to the point I about fell off my chair. I have friends on LI who are so on the whole OWS thing, thinking it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. They are rabid about how good this is for the country and the world.

Then talking about going shopping at Walmart.

This isn't a small town, this is Long Island NY. Some of the greatest Mom and Pop shops still exist there. Yet they are going to Walmart, one of the greatest icons of what OWS is supposed to be fighting.

I haven't stepped foot in a Walmart in over 7 years because of their corporate practices.

Occupy with where you spend your money. If more people did that things would be a lot different.

Comment

LGR, I agree 100%

That sort of shit drives me CRAZY!!!

I got snippy with one of the other protesters here, because she went and got her T-shirts done at Costco, while I'm standing there in the wind and snow holding a sign that said, "Buy Local, Eat Local, Bank Local". I mean, seriously, what the hell?! She lives down in Pocatello, and so there are a LOT more resources. Ten years ago, Walmart came into my little town, dropped it's prices down super-low, and then raised them again after they'd run all the little local stores out of business. I do a lot of leg work and research to avoid going there.

If we want anything to change, we have to do a hell of a lot more then just wave signs...we have to vote with our feet and our pocketbooks. Americans have to get used to the idea that buying these things cheaply means that our jobs and wages are ruined in exchange. Between livable wage and $2 shirts made in a sweatshop in Indonesia, I choose jobs, thank you very much.

Comment

This is why I can't do anything about the OWS.
                      I shop at Walmart.
                      Because I am poor.

Comment

I shop at Walmart.
                        Because I am poor.
                        Yeah, me too. In addition, my wife works there, and we need the money. The largest employer in this area is "unemployment," closely followed by Walmart. They moved in, nothing closed down (no real competitors), and a whole lot of people got paying (though shitty) jobs.

I've been reading and thinking about this thread. I took a brief leave of absence to think about these things and do some meditating, reading and research. I ended up with a blog about it. If anybody is interested in reading it, go here:

Why I Dream of Dead Eagles

I really hope that this does not offend anybody, but I think these points are worth thinking about - even if you disagree.
                        Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

*Sigh*

It's tough. I wouldn't be so stupid as to give away something someone bought for me at Walmart, but right now, if the kids outgrow something, I either sew them a new one from something bigger of mine or their dad's, or buy it at a second-hand store, like shoes. And while L was still working there, we got things like dish soap because of the 10% discount card we had.

It's like a larger version of the company store...you know? Back in the days when people who lived out away, like miners, would only have one small store run by their bosses. All it took was a little price tweaking and soon all the employees were in debt to the store, working to pay it back. Too far away from anything else to do anything about it.

ETA: Corbin...I'm going to need to think long and hard about that before I can respond properly. Thank you for taking the time and effort to write out such a thoughtful, genuine, and articulate response.
                          Last edited by Dez; 09 Nov 2011, 18:53.

Comment

I shop at Walmart.
                            Because I am poor.
                            Agreed. For me, I feel I can be behind the principles of OWS and still shop at Walmart, even though I KNOW it's a contradiction.....because of exactly, this.....I have 4 kids to support.....buying local is my goal, but when hubby gets laid off every winter and I can get a bag of 15 apples at walmart for 3 dollars or a bag of 10 apples locally for $5, I'm going with Walmart everytime to feed my family.....sucks, but it's true. BUT, on the upside, this is the exact sort of thing OWS recognizes and is something we all have to overcome -- mostly by changing things enough that we can afford to CHOOSE where we buy our apples.

*off soapbox

---------- Post added at 03:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:15 AM ----------

I agree with Dez.....well thought out B....I have some responses, but I don't want to be haphazard about them, so I will wait until I have a bracket of time to respond....thanks, though...it was a very interesting read.
                            Allow me to lend a machete to your intellectual thicket. ~ Captain Jack Sparrow

sigpic

Comment

I suppose that's one advantage to living in a rural area...

We ran out of apples, and I swallowed my pride and ignored the funny looks and went around town and picked all the abandoned apple trees. Still preserving them for winter. Can't exactly do that when it comes to wheat or potatoes, though.

I think that's a difference in perspective between us, too, cesara...due to recent events, I'm rapidly hitting a point where I feel as though I have little to lose. I can't be a true PITA to companies like Walmart, but if it means eating rice and beans one more night per week, perhaps it's just ultimately a matter of spite that I'm willing to do it.

Comment

Thanks, Dez and Cesara. You know I will be with you as soon as I can, but I have some real concerns of my own. I've been through this once before, and I've seen bad things happen to good people. And they can happen amazingly quickly.
                                Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Working...
                                X