Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Reading

[quote author=Corvus link=topic=204.msg1477#msg1477 date=1286858707]
    my favorite book is Inkdeath by cornelia funk,series-anita blake vampire hunter by laurel k. Hamilton
    [/quote]

OOOHH! well that's an alright series.. personally I MUCH prefer Laurell K Hamilton's Merry Gentry series. Very saucy not a bad plot either haha

Comment

I haven't read it its on my list though
      Circe

Comment

good to hear (Y) its a bit raunchy but a very addictive read :P

Comment

[quote author=Corvus link=topic=204.msg3226#msg3226 date=1287182448]
          I've been meaning to get to the ender series is it any good?
          [/quote]

The first book was ok, not great, not terrible (Enders Game). Speaker for the Dead so far has a lot more meat to it so I have enjoyed it. I can let you know what I think over all after I finish the series, if you would like.

Note: I had the wrong title for Speaker for the Dead earlier. I was at work when I posted.

Comment

I loved Ender's Game in middle school, but haven't read it since I got out of high school, the rest of the series was interesting, but I personally didn't find it to be as good. At least not the books that were out 5-7 years ago... we didn't get any of the newer ones until the year I graduated.

My favorite authors: Tamora Pierce, Amelia-Atwater Rhodes, Sherillyn Kenyon, Christine Feehan, Kresley Cole. I'm working on getting all of their books on my reader.

I don't really have a favorite book, but I love fantasy as a genre.
            We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
            It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
            Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
            -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

My all time favourite novel will always be Lord of the Rings. I adore it in every single page I turn! I did my advanced english dissertation on it. Amazing!
              I also love anything by Terry Pratchett and David Eddings. Both are astounding writers.

Right now I am tucking into my old fave "To Kill a Mockingbird". Truly amazing.

X
              "You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me"- CS Lewis

https://www.facebook.com/KimberlyHagenART

Comment

I guess my all time favourite is His Dar Materials trilogy I read when I was about 13 or something. Those books made me realize that Christianity could be seen in different ways (at that time I still thought I was Christian), even though it's just fantasy without much sense of reality in it. Also one Finnish fantasy series Vuorileijonan varjo (Shadow of the mountain lion, probably not translated to any other languages except Finnish unfortunately) has had a huge effect to my views.

I'm also a fan of Tolkien's work and Garth Nix's Sabriel, Lirael and Abhorsen were one of my favourites too when I was a teen.

At the moment I'm fascinated about Paulo Coelho's style and topics, though I haven't read others than The Witch of Portobello yet.

Comment

Unfortunately I can't modify the previous post, sorry for double posting. :/

Well, I just wanted to add that I find it funny that the first book of His Dard Materials written by Philip Pullman has been on the list of USA's most hated books. xD

And my souce for this was City.fi (the online site of one finnish newspaper) and the accusations are translated by me, so I just hope they're still accurate.

Comment

In NO particular order

1. Sabriel, Lirael, and Abhorsen by Garth Nix
                    2. The Legend of Drizzt by RA Salvatore
                    3. The DemonWars Saga by RA Salvatore
                    4. Ishmael by Daniel Quinn
                    5. A Boy's Life by Robert MacCammon
                    6. Belinda by Anne Rice writing as Anne Rampling
                    7. The Conqueror Worm, a poem by E.A. Poe

I'll come up with more, I'm sure. These are just off the top of my head.
                    No one tells the wind which way to blow.

Comment

Comment

I primarily read horror or medical thrillers.

My favorite authors are John Saul, Robin Cook. I've also read about 90% of Anne Rice.

I have way to many books to list that are "favorites"

But my all time favorite book is Nathaniel by John Saul. Following close second by Dan Simmons

Comment

I thought Ender's Game was a great book. The rest of the series has a completely different tone. I liked them too. But I think my all time favorite of that collection is Ender's Shadow. It's the exact same story as Ender's Game but from a different character's (Bean's) perspective. I loved it.

Pillars of the Earth was brilliant (have you seen the miniseries - awesome! and have you read the sequel? on my list!)

Hard for me to pick favorite books. Here are a few that I've read recently and enjoyed:

The Help by Kathryn Stockett. About black 'help' (maids) in Mississippi in the 60s. Chapters are in first person from different individuals. Great writing and a riveting subject.

Lonesome Dove by Larry Mcmurtry. About a cattle drive in 1876. It's an epic tale (nearly 1000 pages in paperback) and really worth the read. Characters are beautifully developed and the storytelling is brilliant the way it weaves back and forth between the characters.

The Known World by Edward P. Jones. Speaking of brilliant story telling, I think this one takes the cake. Most interesting style I've ever read. The tale wanders back and forth across decades and people who seem unrelated until it snaps back to the story at hand. It's about a black slave owner (yes, that's a black man who owned black slaves).

Overthrow by Stephen Kinzer. If you are under the delusion that the US has a history of being a peaceful nation with no intent to control other countries, read this book! We've been at the nation-invading, nation-building game long before the current Middle East conflict.

The Pagan Porch - a Pagan Homesteading forum

Sand Holler Farm Blog - aren't you just dying to know what I do all day?

Comment

[/quote]

Haha, most do. And you're right, I think I shall add the umlaut!

As for me, Sabriel was the ULTIMATE, though I did love the culture that he put forth in Lirael - the Clayr's Glacier was fantastic. But Sabriel was my favorite and I was fairly disappointed that she wasn't the focus in the other books, even if I thought that Lirael was a very convincing teenage girl.
                            No one tells the wind which way to blow.

Comment

A lot of books for me to read. Does anyone know any good gay vampire books?I love vampire books,but I'm looking for some that have guy-guy relationships.something relatively approprite for a teenager with an actual plot and not just sex
                              Circe

Comment

[quote author=Bjorn link=topic=204.msg5792#msg5792 date=1287770237]
                                Haha, most do. And you're right, I think I shall add the umlaut!

As for me, Sabriel was the ULTIMATE, though I did love the culture that he put forth in Lirael - the Clayr's Glacier was fantastic. But Sabriel was my favorite and I was fairly disappointed that she wasn't the focus in the other books, even if I thought that Lirael was a very convincing teenage girl.
                                [/quote]

It's just because in Scandinavia it's usually a mansname and six years of studying Swedish have corrupted my mind..

And I definitely agree with you about the trilogy. I also thought that Lirael was somehow boring in the beginning.. Or well, boring is quite harshly said, but I mean it was really difficult for me to step into her shoes.

Comment

Working...
                                X