The job application thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The job application thread

I dunno. I did fine arts too, and what I learned is that experience was a gajillion times more important than schooling (actually, in music and writing you don't need to study at all...)
    If it were me, I'd do an internship at a gallery or something for the experience and then use that experience to try to get a job. If I were asked why I didn't finish my degree, I'd be honest. It's a tough economy right now and a lot of people can't afford things, so I'd be straight up and say that I needed to take some time off to earn some money before I finished.

Comment

[quote author=Medusa link=topic=211.msg3607#msg3607 date=1287275366]
      I have had experience in both ends of this.
      As a store manager for many years, I did all the hiring. I am well versed in what an employer is looking for. I have a good amount of knowledge in filling out the app and follow up and interviewing.

As an unemployed person for 3 month, I also know the ins and outs of application process, job searched (all have been found online) and the such.

First, when handing in your app, ask the person (ask to hand it to the actual person hiring for some face time) when would be a good idea to check back.

If that's already too late. Call in a week. Tell them your name and that you were checking on the status of your application. And if the position has been filled yet.
      [/quote]
      Thanks!

I'll remember that for when I'm unemployed again. Finally found a job, as a clerk. I was hired on the spot. It was unexpected.
      I was Hadad2008 when I joined Feb 2008.
      I became Abdishtar this spring.
      Then, after the Great Crash, I was reborn as Spartacandream!

Comment

The place I'm working right now has finally pushed me over the edge so that I'm looking for a new place. Really, they aren't treating me well at all and I can't survive on what I'm being paid. I have just submitted three applications, so fingers crossed!

Question: do any of you have a specific deity you go to for help or guidance in times like this?

Comment

"The Germans do not think it in keeping with the divine majesty to confine gods within walls or to portray them in the likeness of any human countenance. Their holy places are woods and groves, and they apply the names of deities to that hidden presence which is seen only by the eye of reverence." (Tacitus, `Germania', 9)

Comment

I know that's kind of my issue too. I have job experience but I'm looking for something a bit more specifically related to my study field because I wont get hired after uni without some student work experience jobs and/or internships. But even THOSE want you to have experience. And I'm like how do you get experience if no one will give you any? I don't want to work retail again because at some point I NEED to get work experience at a marketing job and even though some more money would be great, I'd prefer the experience because that will save me issues in the future.

Unemployment is still SO high here though. It *dropped* to around 12% (compared to a national average of 6.7%, but Berlin's economy still sucks), but a) I think a lot of people are also just not looking, and b) the youth unemployment rate is a lot higher.

Comment

I keep forgetting how bad unemployment is in most of the world I hope you all find something soon. I'll light a candle for you.

Comment

Working...
              X