X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Jesus- the lord in heaven

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
    The problem with Christianity (IMHO) is that it promotes only itself, and rejects everything else.

That's just a bit too tight for my personal comfort.
    That's actually what caused my mom to reject Christianity.

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
      If you're going to start that discussion, Dufonce then toss up examples. Otherwise you're just baiting the newbie.
      He probably is just another troll that popped in to preach and will never return.

but two I can think of off the top of my head were that the story of adam and eve, and the flood (epic of gilgamesh) are both from sumerian arent they?

not to mention a ton of similarities between Jesus and other older deities that i dont feel like listing at the moment due to being about ready to leave for work... its easily researched though. if he is to pop up and ask then maybe tonight when i get home i can respond.

but thats my reason for discounting Christianity as the one true answer. Im one of those people that dont care what you believe, as long as you believe. But even those who dont believe in anything, I respect their thoughts and dont pressure mine on them.
      "Sometimes bad things happen, and theres nothing you can do about it, so why worry?" ~ Timon

Comment

Originally posted by habbalah View Post
        Welcome. My view on Christianity? I tend to agree with Gandhi. "I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. They are so unlike your Christ". It's also fascinating, from a historical standpoint.
        I have never heard this quote but I love it! That's very much my feeling too. Although I DO like some Christians. Not the ones who try to convert others, or even instigate violence, but that can happen out of any faith I guess.

The ones I love, are like my boyfriend's gran. She bakes cakes for her church's coffee mornings, she makes hand made cards to sell at their summer fair. She treats everyone with kindness and hates to see people suffering. It doesn't matter to her whether you believe in her God or not, because she trusts that He will love and believe in you regardless so there's no need to try to 'save your soul'. Sadly, Christianity isn't a big thing here and I see another Church closing all the time. These sweet granny Christians are dying out and leaving empty churches in their wake. Then what will be left? The fundies? The angry forceful un-Jesus like ones? If this is the fate of Christianity, then it is a sad fate

Anyway, I'm glad you've found a faith that fits for you Calmreflect. Be sure to celebrate your faith from your heart and I'm sure you'll make Jesus proud.
        夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Thanks for all the responses and welcomes; I appreciate them and did read the replies.

There are some bible verses that show that Jesus is more than just a regular person.

Mark 14:61-62 But Jesus remained silent and gave no answer. Again the high priest asked him, "Are you the Christ, the Son of the Blessed One?" "I am," said Jesus. "And you will see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of the Mighty One and coming on the clouds of heaven."
          John 8:58-59 "I tell you the truth," Jesus answered, "before Abraham was born, I am!" At this, they picked up stones to stone him, but Jesus hid himself, slipping away from the temple grounds.
          John 11:25-27 Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me will live, even though he dies; and whoever lives and believes in me will never die. Do you believe this?" "Yes, Lord," she told him, "I believe that you are the Christ, the Son of God, who was to come into the world."

There is life after this one. It's good to have a relationship with Jesus through prayer and to accept him!

I'm not a biblical expert. I was an agnostic who saw several signs that Jesus is the truth.

I do not believe the bible took from other religions but I don't know everything about the bible. I'm promoting a person seeks faith in Jesus and a relationship with him as he is the lord in heaven and heaven is everlasting life so it's important!

As for Christianity rejecting other beliefs..there is a truth about life. Not everything here is true. Christianity has a lot to support for it being true but I do not have anything against other beliefs. Usually belief systems reject others being the truth.

The bible doesn't mention a Mother Goddess; the trinity of God is: Father, Son(Jesus), and Holy Spirit.

Jesus did teach about everlasting life so I think it's important to pray to him. If you are uncertain, it's helpful to make an effort through praying to him regularly to open your heart to him and the bible.

For people who do not like Christians; we're just people..we make mistakes and sin. We aren't better than others.

For those who find people who attempt to convert others rude.. it's just to try to help people because I've had experiences and seen signs that Jesus is true so I believe Christianity is.
          Take care all. God bless!

Comment

Originally posted by Calmreflect View Post

There is life after this one. It's good to have a relationship with Jesus through prayer and to accept him!

I'm not a biblical expert. I was an agnostic who saw several signs that Jesus is the truth.

I do not believe the bible took from other religions but I don't know everything about the bible. I'm promoting a person seeks faith in Jesus and a relationship with him as he is the lord in heaven and heaven is everlasting life so it's important!

As for Christianity rejecting other beliefs..there is a truth about life. Not everything here is true. Christianity has a lot to support for it being true but I do not have anything against other beliefs. Usually belief systems reject others being the truth.

The bible doesn't mention a Mother Goddess; the trinity of God is: Father, Son(Jesus), and Holy Spirit.

Jesus did teach about everlasting life so I think it's important to pray to him. If you are uncertain, it's helpful to make an effort through praying to him regularly to open your heart to him and the bible.

For people who do not like Christians; we're just people..we make mistakes and sin. We aren't better than others.

For those who find people who attempt to convert others rude.. it's just to try to help people because I've had experiences and seen signs that Jesus is true so I believe Christianity is.
            Well, many people here (but not me personally) believe in an afterlife, although they have other deities who are concerned. It doesn't have to be Jesus.

Christianity actually did pick up and borrow from other religions. I don't believe that many scholars dispute that any more. Everything comes from something, Christianity did as well.

The Bible does not mention a mother goddess, true. But what does that prove? Only that the Bible doesn't mention one. Many, many other religions do mention, and look up to, a mother goddess. What does that prove? Only that there are mother goddesses in other religions.

That you find it comforting to pray to Jesus is good. That others find comfort praying in other ways is also good. What is bad is when a person is obliged to worship in a way that does not work for him or her. This is why it is good to have an assortment of religions.

I do regret that there are some pagans who have a chip on their shoulder about Christisnity, just as I regret that there are some Christians who have a chip on their shoulder about pagans. Most of us don't, though - we have friends and family and coworkers who are Christian. It's just that we find our way in life leading us to something other than Christianity.

I appreciate your desire to tell us something important to you, and I thank you for it. May the powers be kind to you.
            Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

What is rude is coming to someone else's home, without a proper introduction or any bother of getting to know anyone, and assuming that you know what is better for them. We've had Christian members of this forum, we also have Jewish and Muslim members of this forum, and they've managed to participate without proselytizing. I don't come to your church and tell the congregation that I think your belief in Jesus is trite, historically inaccurate and ignorant and that I've had experiences and seen signs that Jesus is *not* "true" or that the Bible is a semi-historical work of mythology no better or worse than The Illiad...I don't think its too much to expect the same consideration (and there are actually forums for that sort of behavior)

I'm happy that you, whomever you are, have found a path that brings you peace and meaning. If you actually want to participate in this forum (which is what we are concerned about here, rather than what religion you follow, as this sort of drive-by-proselytization-posting tends to be disruptive), we have an "Ask a Christian" thread--feel free to post an introduction, and answer people's questions, or start a topic on the Bible or something. But have the freaking decency and intelligence to realize that we aren't Christian, and that most of us were at one time or another in our lives, Christian...and more that likely aren't interested in becoming Christian again. And if by some chance of statistics one of us were, we are surrounded by thousands of denominations IRL and online, and that we are savvy enough to find them ourselves.

I'm going to give you a tip on "witnessing", from someone that rejected the claims of most Christianities years ago--the best way to be a good Christian (at least in a way that makes you seem decent to the people you want to convert) is to be a good person. Don't proclaim your faith, act your faith...and actually make it the parts of your faith that JESUS is attributed to have actually said in the Bible, and not the other crap that he was supposed to have overcome. It will make you seem a whole lot less obnoxious to the people that are firm in their faith, and make you seem more legit to the people that aren't certain where they belong.
              Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
              sigpic

Comment

This is, at least, the second pagan forum you've signed up on to try and find converts. You already know why your particular approach is rude and ineffective. Did you really expect any truly different results here?
                Hearth and Hedge

Comment

Something that I have learned over the past couple of years is that it is always best to ask someone if they want help before offering it unsolicited. Sometimes people want to find their own way of doing things. It's great that your faith works for you, but most of us here don't feel that our faiths or beliefs or lack thereof are broken in any way, shape or form. Most of us will not take kindly to any attempts to 'help' us. Unless we ask for it. Often times, unsolicited assistance is met with hostility and opens you up for many misunderstandings along the way.

And then, it's always better to share your own experiences with similar problems instead of throwing around quotes or creating link-storms. That is general forum/debate etiquette, and isn't just dedicated to religious discussions. If you want to testify or spread your message around, then do so without trying to convert people to your way of thinking and worship. Everyone likes to hear good news, but not everyone wants a subscription.
                  The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

It's good to have a relationship with Jesus through prayer and to accept him!
                    I think this should read 'It's good for me to have a relationship with Jesus...' I am sincerely happy for you that you have found a faith that you find fulfilling but the fact is so have the majority of the people on this board and it is not Christianity. Unlike many others who have responded, I have never been involved in Christianity and have no desire to. I have studied it, I have spoken at length with people about it but I know in my heart (sorry for the cheese) that it is not for me.

I respect your right to believe how you will, all I ask is that you extend me, and others, the same courtesy.
                    http://thefeministpagan.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                      What is rude is coming to someone else's home, without a proper introduction or any bother of getting to know anyone, and assuming that you know what is better for them.

Cutting your quote short for brevity, but THANK YOU for expressing these sentiments more diplomatically than I have the patience to do these days.
                      "Gardens are not made by singing "Oh, how beautiful," and sitting in the shade." - Rudyard Kipling

Mathbatu: A Canaanite Polytheist's Blog
                      Sparrow Wings: A Personal Blog

Comment

Agreed with all of the above.

You said the bible doesn't mention a Mother Goddess but only the Father, Son and Holy spirit. While this is true there are a few things to consider the first of which the bible does mention the Virgin Mary and that many many people think that the holy spirit is a female force rather than a masculine one. You really should do more research on the religion you try to push on people, preferably looking at unbiased sources since you admit there's a lot about Christianity you don't know.

I would like you to either stop be bigoted, rude, missionary and stop with the self righteous act or get the hell out. You shouldn't think of us as poor, uneducated heathens when it would seem we know more about your religion than you do. Having a different faith doesn't make us wrong.
                        Circe

Comment

And now I get to play...

Thanks for all the responses and welcomes; I appreciate them and did read the replies.

There are some bible verses that show that Jesus is more than just a regular person.

Mark 14:61-62 But Jesus remained silent and gave no answer. Again the high priest asked him, "Are you the Christ, the Son of the Blessed One?" "I am," said Jesus. "And you will see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of the Mighty One and coming on the clouds of heaven."
                          John 8:58-59 "I tell you the truth," Jesus answered, "before Abraham was born, I am!" At this, they picked up stones to stone him, but Jesus hid himself, slipping away from the temple grounds.
                          John 11:25-27 Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me will live, even though he dies; and whoever lives and believes in me will never die. Do you believe this?" "Yes, Lord," she told him, "I believe that you are the Christ, the Son of God, who was to come into the world."
                          Ah, ye olde non sequitur. This really has nothing to do with us not being receptive to proselytizing. In fact, it kinda enforces that's what I suspect you're doing. PRO TIP: If you're gonna proselytize it's better to use passive conversion.

No one's questioning the existence of an afterlife, just why you came to proselytize.

We're happy you found a faith that has brought you peace. Like others on this forum, I found mine. I was my most suicidal as a Christian. With my Kemetic faith I found ways to deal with it myself rather than give it to some deity. All that did was set me up for feeling abandoned. With Ma'at I found the peace I need to face my problems. I found my faith. However, you don't see me going to a Christian forum proclaiming how Osiris died for their crops.

It's been accepted by scholars that Psalms is a rip-off of The Teachings of Amenenope. You can disbelieve all you want, but there are passages that weren't found anywhere else but that piece of Egyptian wisdom literature. Just saying.

No, Christianity has lots of support because of multiple reasons. This includes, but not limited to: people converting for survival, social acceptance, a more democratic approach to worship, and a practice more simplified.

That's because those parts weren't cannonized in the Council of Trent. God very early on had a wife who was worshipped. Scholars acknowledge it, but also acknowledge she is no longer worshipped.

Jesus taught also "he who has an ear, let him hear" and "if they do no receive you, shake the dust off your sandals".

Again, a distraction from the issue. The issue isn't about receptiveness to Christians, but the audacity to come here to save us from ourselves.

That isn't helping. All you've done is come in here claiming to be some great hope (you know, impersonating a god) when you should really work on finding your peace with your faith.

And with that...senebty! Dua Djehuty.
                          my etsy store
                          My blog

"...leave me curled up in my ball,
                          surrounded by plush, downy things,
                          ill prepared, but willing,
                          to descend."

Comment

I don't think this person is a troll. I think this person is sincere. I think all of you are over reacting...alot. You get bored. One new member comes in that's not a Pagan and you want to get your 3 nails out.
                            Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
                              I don't think this person is a troll. I think this person is sincere. I think all of you are over reacting...alot. You get bored. One new member comes in that's not a Pagan and you want to get your 3 nails out.
                              I don't think this person is a troll either and agree that they are sincere. Doesn't change the fact that I am not interested in being proselytized to though. I would, however, be more than happy to have a conversation with them about Christianity if they were interested.
                              http://thefeministpagan.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by shadow1982 View Post
                                I don't think this person is a troll either and agree that they are sincere. Doesn't change the fact that I am not interested in being proselytized to though. I would, however, be more than happy to have a conversation with them about Christianity if they were interested.
                                I don't go into the Pagan sections about ceremonies and rituals etc. Because it's not my thing. I hardly browse there. And when I do I take it with a grain of salt because I think most of it is bunk. I suggest that frame of mind when going to the Abrahamic Section as well. Know what I mean?
                                Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Working...
                                X