What do you think?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do you think?

Someone made a comment elsewhere on the web that sort of threw me off...

...so I wondered what other people thought.

Do you think that "energies" linger on in/with an item once you've cleansed it?

Would it keep you from using it from something that was owned by someone you don't know?

IMO, "cleansing" is sort of "reset to default" or a "sterilization" of an item, so...it really doesn't matter, as long as you do it well (unless, perhaps, the object has some sort of crazy history behind it that is obvious every time one looks at it, and can't be escaped)...but YMMV. Opinions?
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Re: What do you think?

I kind of hope that energies don't linger at all. I collect old weapons, and I hope that my WWII German k98 doesn't have Nazi vapors attached to it.

The purification methods I use for my tools actually are intended to discharge (or disconnect?) any negative feelings I might have for the tool - so although it's performed on the object (the tool) it is actually for my benefit.
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

I think cleansing does 'reset to default', but there is a twist to this: a persons feelings can impose an energy onto something. So if you have cleansed an item, but someone associates a negative event with it, that person could influence its energy and undo your heard work. Similarly, people worry that if they cleanse, say, Grandma's ring, that it will lose connections with her, but I believe the connection is through the person, not the item, so this would only happen if the current owner knows notyhing about Grandma.

When I was training with the spiritualist church (I'm actually against mediumship these days, but I was young), we often used items that people brought in. After several months of reading this way, and seeing others do it, I noticed the messages were more frequently about the living owner's memories, rather than abstract things the sitter could not know. So I assumed we were picking up on the sitter, rather than the spirit-side relative.
      夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

No. I don't. Science tells me no. And I'm not even a scientific person!
        Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

I think it's a reset to default type thing but it's sorta like scrubbing the pan after lasagna night. Don't scrub hard enough it might not all come off.
          They moaned and squealed, and pressed their snouts to the earth. We are sorry, we are sorry.
          Sorry you were caught, I said. Sorry that you thought I was weak, but you were wrong.
          -Madeline Miller, Circe

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
            No. I don't. Science tells me no. And I'm not even a scientific person!
            Really? Science says this? Then what's a calorie? What is stored or potential energy? How does oil fuel a car? How is information on a disc, translated into music, or a movie, or documents? I think science agrees with the concept of items containing energy. ^^
            夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

I do believe items can hold lingering impressions of former owners, kind of like spiritual bedbugs. I used to be very adamant about 'cleansing' things, even new things, because who knows how many people handled them previously? Now I'm sort of lazy. I'll wash stuff physically if it's dirty or it's something I'm going to be wearing, but I don't feel a constant need to whip out the salt & incense.
              The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
                Really? Science says this? Then what's a calorie? What is stored or potential energy? How does oil fuel a car? How is information on a disc, translated into music, or a movie, or documents? I think science agrees with the concept of items containing energy. ^^
                A Calorie is the amount of energy it takes to raise 1gram of water 1 degree Celsius, it also approximately 4.2 joules . Stored energy is the same as potential energy, potential energy is the potential for an object to have energy (like a ball on a shelf has high potential energy because it can fall and impart its potential energy into kinetic energy). Oil fuels a car by igniting it in the internal combustion engine. patterns etched into a disk can be read and translated into corresponding code. /did this outta boredom
                Last edited by Corvus; 12 Apr 2012, 14:50.
                They moaned and squealed, and pressed their snouts to the earth. We are sorry, we are sorry.
                Sorry you were caught, I said. Sorry that you thought I was weak, but you were wrong.
                -Madeline Miller, Circe

Comment

Originally posted by Corvus View Post
                  Calorie= the amount of energy it takes to raise 1gram of water 1 degree Celsius. Stored energy is the same as potential energy, potential energy is the potential for an object to have energy (like a ball on a shelf has high potential energy because it can fall and impart its potential energy into kinetic energy). Oil fuels a car by igniting it in the internal combustion engine. patterns etched into a disk can be read and translated into corresponding code. /did this outta boredom
                  haha, Jembru approves of your dedication! Bet you feel ever so pleased at knowing this stuff now. ^^

Comment

haha, Jembru approves of your dedication! Bet you feel ever so pleased at knowing this stuff now. ^^
                    I knew alot of it already, just had to double check somethings and including links makes me feel smarter
                    -Madeline Miller, Circe

Comment

Originally posted by Corvus View Post
                      I knew alot of it already, just had to double check somethings and including links makes me feel smarter
                      I didn't want to pee on your bonfire and point out this is all covered in compulsary education so everyone SHOULD know this stuff. That is, that everything contains energy in one form or another. I'm the opposite though: I don't like to look stuff up online. I like it to already be in my head. I know that's asking far too much of myself, but I always do!

Comment

I don't think science says this bullet that belong to Hitler has Hitler's bad joo joo. Now do you?

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
                          I don't think science says this bullet that belong to Hitler has Hitler's bad joo joo. Now do you?
                          No. As far as I am aware, Hitler joo joo is not mentioned in any of Newton's Laws.

Comment

There is the school of thought that ghosts are the lingering energy of the departed "Soul",and perhaps this could be applied to objects also. Just perhaps part of this "Energy" would linger with objects that a person had contact with. I only bring this up as an example of why one would want to cleanse an object. I don't follow the idea of every theory to explain ghosts,so this is just a kind of FYI.
                            MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                            NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                            don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                            http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post

Do you think that "energies" linger on in/with an item once you've cleansed it?

Jembru, this is what I was answering. Science tells me there is no joo joo of another person on my item before or after I 'wash' the joo joo off. I think that's what this thread is/was about. Not stored energy.

Comment

Working...
                              X