• thalassa
    replied
    Re: The voices in our heads might be friendly

...thought this might be interesting to toss in the convo

Leave a comment:

• Dez
    replied

I've kinda avoided this thread...but just wanted to toss my own experience into this.

I've had visual and auditory hallucinations before. Negative ones during times of extreme stress and depression, as well as positive ones. They aren't a common thing for me, so I haven't really let it worry me, but I've found that it does make things complicated religiously, since a positive experience of that sort was part of what launched me on my current path, after years of fear and indecision.

Leave a comment:

• Hawkfeathers
    replied

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
    That seems to be one of the points that this "movement" is making - interpreting the "voices" as symptoms of mental illness is a cultural issue. Other cultures don't seem to have a big problem with them because they are integrated into the surrounding culture.
    Great point, in general! Whatever constitutes a cultural norm in a particular culture may be viewed as incorrect or "ill" by another culture, at any time, about anything. The way we dress, slang terms we use, etc. SO, cultures that accept "magic" or "supernatural" things readily wouldn't think it odd for someone to have visual or auditory things going on.

Leave a comment:

• Caelia
    replied

Well, I hear the voices in other people's heads. Seriously, folks, keep it down. *IhopefolksknowI'mkidding*

Leave a comment:

• Corvus
    replied

Originally posted by perzephone View Post
    Well, I am certifiably crazy, so two of you here are safe.
    They haven't committed me yet. So am I sane until further notice?

Leave a comment:

• Ophidia
    replied

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
    I'm insane so does that leave two other people on thread sane...
    Well, I am certifiably crazy, so two of you here are safe.

Leave a comment:

• Jembru
    replied

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
    See, I wasn't sure which side of the line I was on, but you have reassured me.

Leave a comment:

• MaskedOne
    replied

Leave a comment:

• B. de Corbin
    replied

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
    Why do I never think like this? It's so true ^^ Considering your typical pub moot is jammed full of people who hear voices... oh it explains so much!
    I'm not from Vegas, so I'm likely wrong, but isn't that 2:1 odds in favor of sane?

I'd bet on those odds in my own case...

... but maybe not for a babysitter.

Leave a comment:

• Jembru
    replied

Originally posted by perzephone View Post
    One in three doesn't seem like great odds, does it? It's like, if you're in a group of three people who hear voices, and two of them seem fine, it's probably you that's actually crazy.
    Why do I never think like this? It's so true ^^ Considering your typical pub moot is jammed full of people who hear voices... oh it explains so much!

Leave a comment:

• Ophidia
    replied

One in three doesn't seem like great odds, does it? It's like, if you're in a group of three people who hear voices, and two of them seem fine, it's probably you that's actually crazy.

The thing about a traumatic event triggering the voices, that's what's interesting to me. I have always heard voices, since I was little, and since I was in an occult-influenced home, it seemed perfectly normal. It was ghosts, spirits, guides, fetches, whatever. I had support, though - my sisters & parents all heard voices, and I was taught how to filter out more negative voices.

The ghostly voices were usually helpful and protective. But when I got hit by a car and died and came back - that's when the voices changed. They were more likely to encourage me to engage in self-destructive actions. I had also lost my support system - my mother was dead, my family was split up, and I was living with an abusive relative. I couldn't talk to anyone about the voices any more. Even now, when I go through therapy binges, I don't talk about the voices because I don't want to end up on anti-psychotic drugs. If it's true that it's more normal to hear various voices, the next time I go to a therapist, I may bring it up. Is it weird to feel that I'd hate to lose the ability to hear the other voices? They have given me some insights and help, right along w/the ones who make more, uh, interesting suggestions.

Leave a comment:

• B. de Corbin
    replied

Originally posted by Corvus View Post
    I've always thought that the voices people hear are an external thing than an internal problem. Spirit guides, angels, demons, whatever you want to call them
    That seems to be one of the points that this "movement" is making - interpreting the "voices" as symptoms of mental illness is a cultural issue. Other cultures don't seem to have a big problem with them because they are integrated into the surrounding culture.

Leave a comment:

• Corvus
    replied

I've always thought that the voices people hear are an external thing than an internal problem. Spirit guides, angels, demons, whatever you want to call them

Leave a comment:

• anunitu
    replied

I go off into my own little world from time to time,but I do know where reality is. its that place where real dangers can come along,and you have to always be aware of your situation. My away place has none of those problems,and I think it is good to have a secret place of peace to go to sometimes. Dreams are kinda a natural one,but having your own controlled place is even better.

Leave a comment:

• Jembru
    replied

That made me smile. Thanks for posting this. When I had my breakdown at uni (the one in which I believed I was Gollum), I had something like 3 sessions with a therapist (it was meant to be more, but I have a habit of thinking a can fix things on my own as soon as I feel even a little better). I expected her to freak out when I spoke about the voices, my imaginary friends and the dreamworld I spent over an hour a day in! She advised that I needed to create a stronger boundary between 'this world' and 'that world', because I'd clearly lost sight of what was real and imagined, but otherwise, she told me I was very lucky to have the gift of imagination and that I should always nurture it. That was 9 years ago, so I guess some professionals have considered the voices positive for a while now!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X