X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Why Do you Practice Magic?

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
    the short answer: for fun

the longer answer: witchcraft for me, is mostly about seeing to the practicalities of hearth and home–one more tool in the box of ways to connect myself and my family to the natural world, to one another, and to humanity as a whole in an increasingly disconnected society
    I like the idea of being connected. This world is growing progressively further and further away.

Comment

I don't do it just to do it. I got into the idea because of it being a spiritual practice intimately tied to my religion of choice. But over time, I've come to see it as a tool to aid or assist in mundane activity. It has a practical as well as spiritual side to it. And in ritual, both come out. I always research deeply into the meanings and associations of the eight Sabbats and, when performing a ritual, I always make it about something, with some practical purpose to it as well as forming a connection to the divine.

Comment

I use magic in much the way that a martial artist uses his body. I use it everyday, and I attempt to improve my ability and form. Why? A martial artist trains either to perfect his ability or - in the rare event - to protect himself. That is why I practice magic. I practice it to be better at it, but I also practice it in case I might need it.
        I've also found that, much like martial arts, the more you use it and show it off, the more likely you are to be sought out by someone wanting to prove themselves against you. That's why I'm solitary. I find that most groups/covens/what-have-you's can only stay together so long as they have a goal to work for together. That tends to draw unwanted attention and challenges.
        "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." - Khalil Gibran

Comment

Because it's a huge part of who I am. I've always done it as long as I can recall, and a life without it is a dull and meaningless and crippled life not lived to its fullest. Because it gives me goals to reach for and a sense of discipline - the kind of discipline a rebel like me can understand, I guess you could say; an open one focused on cause-and-effect and honor and respect, rather than imposed morality and belief systems. Because it's beautiful, like being part of a symphony of life that only few can hear and dance with even though everyone's playing it. Because it's empowering - not power OVER others, but for my own personal self-realization. And like others have said, it's a huge part of my spirituality.

That about sums it up for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Slade View Post
            I practice it to be better at it, but I also practice it in case I might need it.
            I've also found that, much like martial arts, the more you use it and show it off, the more likely you are to be sought out by someone wanting to prove themselves against you. That's why I'm solitary. I find that most groups/covens/what-have-you's can only stay together so long as they have a goal to work for together. That tends to draw unwanted attention and challenges.
            This too. I keep finding that the more I improve, the more things and people come out of the woodwork to mess with me. So it's kind of self-reinforcing...you have to get better, but then you get attacked by something more, so you work to get better--and so on and so forth.

Comment

True enough. Though I find the times like that are when you incredibly improve by leaps and bounds to come to your next challenge.

Comment

Originally posted by Arneci View Post
                True enough. Though I find the times like that are when you incredibly improve by leaps and bounds to come to your next challenge.
                Same here. I mean, when you start out on that journey, you put your foot out there ready to grow stronger and do extraordinary things...it seems like the universe (or whatever you want to call it, life, circumstance, the gods, the fates... lol) is quick to answer with "Ooookay! But you're not gonna like this!" :XD:

Comment

Working...
                X