X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Talking about wine

White Rioja Antano from Spain.

Find it. Buy it. It's my newest favourite.

Mostly art.

Comment

Anyone have recommendations for a wine newbie?

I'm living right next to the great wine valleys in CA and know nothing about how to chose or drink the stuff. So far my big lucky breaks have been local breweries, Ace Hard Cider as a welcome back gift from some friends up in Sebastiopole(reeeeaaaallly good, pear and apple: http://www.acecider.com/), and figuring out that Rabbit's Foot Meadery is practically on the back step of my new apartment.

None of that, though, is wine, obviously.
      Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

I don't drink these days. The last "wine" I had was mead, and let's face it, you probably know what it tastes like. Otherwise I had a dry Riesling.

As for what to recommend for beginners: depends on the person, which foods you're eating with it (if at all), and budget. For Americans I usually recommend dessert or sweet wines because we culturally have a sweet tooth. The next time I ask my brother I'll see what specifics he recommends (he's a bigger wine snob than I am; I'm more of a coffee and tea snob). Otherwise I like Chaucer's mead (a specific brand of mead) or a dry white wine.
        my etsy store
        My blog

"...leave me curled up in my ball,
        surrounded by plush, downy things,
        ill prepared, but willing,
        to descend."

Comment

Originally posted by Dez View Post
          Anyone have recommendations for a wine newbie?

I'm living right next to the great wine valleys in CA and know nothing about how to chose or drink the stuff. So far my big lucky breaks have been local breweries, Ace Hard Cider as a welcome back gift from some friends up in Sebastiopole(reeeeaaaallly good, pear and apple: http://www.acecider.com/), and figuring out that Rabbit's Foot Meadery is practically on the back step of my new apartment.

None of that, though, is wine, obviously.
          You live in CA now? My recommendation? Go and visit a winery and take a tasting tour. In Canada, they are usually by donation, and give you a discount on the wine that particular winery sells.

Have you ever had wine before? Ever had a red or a white you liked? Start from there. My recommendation for red (if you like the taste of red) would be to try a Malbec (Argentina makes the best, and it can be pretty cheap) ...if you're not a big fan of red, try something milder like a cab sav. As for whites, how do your tastes go? If you like sweet better, stick to the guwurtz's, the dessert wines, etc (though, there are some AMAZING red dessert wines). If you like dry (like me), go for the full-bodied chardonnay's, the pinot gris(grigio), bordeaux blanc (though, that's an expensive one from France). If you're somewhere in the middle - try a riesling.

Dessert wines are meant to be drank as an aperitif, by the way - small glasses, that stuff packs a bunch. If you like stronger alcohols...try a port or a sherry. You can find some tasty ones that are pretty cheap. Again, aperitif.

That's all the time I've got before work - hope it helps!

Mostly art.

Comment

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
            I found out earlier, that this is 'British Wine Week'. I don't personally rate British wine, but I guess I'll grab a bottle for the occasion! Well, tomorrow, when I finally get out of this place (work).
            That reminds me:

There is an interesting distinction between "British Wine" and "English Wine".

You know the difference, I trust?

Comment

Originally posted by Larix View Post
              That reminds me:

There is an interesting distinction between "British Wine" and "English Wine".

You know the difference, I trust?
              Yup. English wine is a joke, because the grapes must be grown here, and we really don't have the climate for grapes: forced grapes just don't taste the same. British wine can be made from ingredients that came from anywhere, so long as it is bottled here.

Fruit is generally not so nice in the UK as it was when I was in Germany. I guess it has further to travel.

I think I need to start a 'things we love about Britain' thread, to make up for all the negative press I give this poor little island. Think it's really just the English who lack patriotism though.
              夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

I see you know!

But may I contradict you in one point?

I do not think that English wine is a joke.

I have tried some of it when I was in the South of England, and I quite liked it!

Btw: I noticed that some of the grape varietes planted in England have German names.

Comment

Originally posted by Larix View Post
                  I see you know!

But may I contradict you in one point?

I do not think that English wine is a joke.

I have tried some of it when I was in the South of England, and I quite liked it!

Btw: I noticed that some of the grape varietes planted in England have German names.
                  Really? Maybe because German varieties are more suited to our unpredictable weather? Honestly though, I learnt all I did about British/English wines from the same show that told me about British wine week. So I don't really know much. ^^
                  夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
                    Maybe because German varieties are more suited to our unpredictable weather?
                    I think so!

Here, for example, are three German grape varieties - that I came across in England:

Dornfelder, Helfensteiner, Heroldrebe

Dornfelder

Helfensteiner x Heroldrebe

Created in Germany in 1955, the product of a long process of vine breeding. Helfensteiner is early Pinot Noir x Black Hamburger and Heroldrebe is Portugieser x Limburger.

The wine is notable for its colour and good acidity and grows well in the UK, having been introduced in the 1980’s. In Germany it is quite widely grown and capable of producing some very fine wines. Over here it is one of the grapes that shows that good red wine can be made in the U.K. Wines are usually fresh and fruity more like Syrah or Gamay than Cabernet Sauvignon.

Comment

I am lucky enough to have a very nice wine shop, with really knowledgeable and friendly owners, at the top of my street (literally, a minute from my door), so I might enquire and give this wine a try. They'll be ever so pleased that I've done my research. They usually tease me for asking silly questions, (like the time I asked for blackberry wine!).

Comment

Well, asking for blackberry wine ist not a silly question at all.

I like it, too!

Let's put it that way: There are more wines between heaven and earth than those made from grapes alone.

--------

But talking about the Dornfelder: Perhaps your friendly neighbourhood wine shop can sell it to you?

If yes, let me know about it.

I am curious.

Good luck!

Comment

Well, they laughed at me and said you can get wines with a FLAVOUR of blackberries, but that real wines are made of grapes. I was surprised too, considering I used to drink home made elderberry wine for years. I asked about this and they just said it's not real wine. They're nice people, but very snobbish about wine. They once lectured my roommate and I, because we bought a cheap, mass-produced brand of rose (that they themselves won't even have in the shop)! I thought it was a bit harsh, but they are kind enough to order in sake and asahi just for my boyfriend and I, so they make up for it!

Comment

What exactly is wine?

That is a question of linguistics.

In my mind you are quite right to call wine made from blackberries wine also!

It is definitely wine - in the wider sense of the word.

------

@ about wine snobs

I belong to a family that have been wine growers for centuries.

We had so much work to do in the vineyards that we had no time to be snobbish about it.

Comment

I have five more weeks of work up here before I get some time off, but I already know what I'm asking Tim for when I land.

I expect a nice, dry white to be chilling in the fridge, and two glasses to be sitting on the counter when I get home.

Mostly art.

Comment

Now in summer it is refreshing to drink a mixture of white wine and mineral water - called "Schorle" in German.

Comment

Working...
                                X