Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Talking about beer

Originally posted by Clive View Post
    I am not the least bit refined when it comes to beer and I like it cheap - Miller Lite and Pabst Blue Ribbon for me. Now and then I'll have Yuengling.
    I'm not sure if there is the same imagery in the US as there is in Canada, but...PBR, man?

We mock hipsters with thin moustaches for drinking that stuff here.

Mostly art.

Comment

I'm not that concerned with other people's perceptions of my image. I don't think drinking a specific brand of beer makes one a hipster any more than carrying a knife makes one a witch. I'm not even all that certain of what a hipster is, really.

I don't let stereotypes or perceptions alter my behavior. I drink PBR because it's cheap and I like the taste of it. Why should I avoid something I like simply because somebody might think I'm a hipster, or white trash which is the related stereotype I'm familiar with.
      Children love and want to be loved and they very much prefer the joy of accomplishment to the triumph of hateful failure. Do not mistake a child for his symptom.
      -Erik Erikson

Comment

I love beer. I was stationed in Ludwigsburg Germany for 3 years, 79-82 and fell in love with Stuttgarter Hofbrau. Then there was the Bock and Vitzen beer that you had to stir because it was so thick it would settle to the bottom of the mug. It took me a while to get used to warm beer but now I still miss it. It sucks that I cant get it here in the U.S. I drink a lot of Moosehead now as it is probably the closest thing to real beer you can get here

Comment

I only really like lambics & stouts (Founders KBS being one of my favorites, along with my partners homebrew) that's about it. I've been on the search for other types of beer I might like although it's hard because I can't stand anything that I can taste the hops in. I tend to dislike most beers but I still like to try as many as I can (you never know when you might find something you like) so I do enjoy going to microbrewery's. I also got to go to Great Taste of the Midwest which was a lot of fun.

Comment

Originally posted by raingirlred View Post
            I only really like lambics & stouts (Founders KBS being one of my favorites, along with my partners homebrew) that's about it. I've been on the search for other types of beer I might like although it's hard because I can't stand anything that I can taste the hops in. I tend to dislike most beers but I still like to try as many as I can (you never know when you might find something you like) so I do enjoy going to microbrewery's. I also got to go to Great Taste of the Midwest which was a lot of fun.
            Lambics and Stouts?
            You should try something I call a "Chocolate Covered Cherry": Young's Double Chocolate Stout (gotta get it in the nitrogenated cans, or a nitrogenated draft... the bottles are carbonated, and won't float) floated on top of Lindeman's "Kriek" (cherry Lambic)... oh... so nice (floated in the style of a Black and Tan, Bee Sting, Priest's Collar or Snake Bite, etc)

Now, to the hoppy stuff:

Personally, I'm a huge fan of Rye IPAs. Real Ale (from Blanco, TX) and Harpoon (from Boston, MA) bot make an exceptional Rye IPA. Real Ale's entry in the category is the better beer, but both are fantastic!

Wonderfully hopped (as an IPA should be), with that marvelous rye flavor.

[edit to add] I just realized that a Bee Sting is another creation of my own, so I should explain: A Bee Sting is Guinness on mead[/edit]
            Last edited by ThorsSon; 11 Feb 2013, 23:28.
            "Don't ever miss a good opportunity to shut up." - Harvey Davis "Gramps"

Comment

Originally posted by ThorsSon View Post
              Lambics and Stouts?
              You should try something I call a "Chocolate Covered Cherry": Young's Double Chocolate Stout (gotta get it in the nitrogenated cans, or a nitrogenated draft... the bottles are carbonated, and won't float) floated on top of Lindeman's "Kriek" (cherry Lambic)... oh... so nice (floated in the style of a Black and Tan, Bee Sting, Priest's Collar or Snake Bite, etc)

Now, to the hoppy stuff:

Personally, I'm a huge fan of Rye IPAs. Real Ale (from Blanco, TX) and Harpoon (from Boston, MA) bot make an exceptional Rye IPA. Real Ale's entry in the category is the better beer, but both are fantastic!

Wonderfully hopped (as an IPA should be), with that marvelous rye flavor.

[edit to add] I just realized that a Bee Sting is another creation of my own, so I should explain: A Bee Sting is Guinness on mead[/edit]
              I do like Lindeman's Kriek, I'll have to give that a try sometime. I may also have to try that Bee Sting of yours, I'm pretty sure I have some mead on hand.

Comment

Originally posted by raingirlred View Post
                I do like Lindeman's Kriek, I'll have to give that a try sometime. I may also have to try that Bee Sting of yours, I'm pretty sure I have some mead on hand.
                let me know what you think.

The Bee Sting works best, in my opinion, with a sweet mead. Dry meads don't go well with Guinness, to me, since Guinness is pretty dry itself.

Comment

My favorite beer is Blue Moon. I really like Shock Top, Guiness, Schlafly, Irish Red Ale, and mmmmm, Sam Adams. All variations, of course!

Comment

let me know what you think.

The Bee Sting works best, in my opinion, with a sweet mead. Dry meads don't go well with Guinness, to me, since Guinness is pretty dry itself.
                    If I liked Guinness, I would try this. But I don't. I actually have more mead on hand right now than I do wine (typically, it's the opposite).

Mostly art.

Comment

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
                      If I liked Guinness, I would try this. But I don't. I actually have more mead on hand right now than I do wine (typically, it's the opposite).
                      in my opinion, Guinness (at least the Guinness that is sold here in the US) is a horrible example of a stout... just so bland... the ONLY way I drink it is in mixers.

Comment

Guinness is a decent beer for cooking with, and pairs better with food than other stouts... But, yeah, it wouldn't be my first choice if I was just out to wet my whistle.
                        Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

Originally posted by Denarius View Post
                          Guinness is a decent beer for cooking with, and pairs better with food than other stouts... But, yeah, it wouldn't be my first choice if I was just out to wet my whistle.
                          I'm a big fan of pairing beer with food, even more so than wine... and it is RARE that I pair Guinness with anything... fair enough, I don't often pair any stout with food... unless is is a chocolate stout, coffee stout, or oatmeal stout with dessert... but, still... unless I'm floating it on top of something else, I nearly never drink Guinness.

Exception: Irish Carbomb
                          BUT... An good friend of mine created the Scottish Claymore, which, to me, is far superior to the Irish Carbomb: Identical to an Irish Carbomb, but rather than Guinnes, Bailey's and Jameson's, you use Belhaven's Wee Heavy, Heather Scottish Cream, and Johnny Walker Black Label Scotch

Comment

I'm a big fan ... Belhaven's Wee Heavy, Heather Scottish Cream, and Johnny Walker Black Label Scotch
                            Oh dear god.

Mostly art.

Comment

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
                              Oh dear god.
                              You're gonna try it, aren't you?

Comment

You're gonna try it, aren't you?
                                I'd have to swap the beer for something, cuz we don't have Belhaven here, but...maybe.

'cept I'd likely use single malt, since it's all I have in the house.

Mostly art.

Comment

Working...
                                X