Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Connecting, without drugs

Originally posted by Doc_Holiday View Post
    If I may bust in late in the thread here.

Mugwort, has been used for ages for dream work, astral projection, and lucid dreams. A lot of people claim to have had full face conversations with a god while dreaming. One out of their control, and they felt like they were actually talking to their gods. People also say they have had really detailed dreams that pointed them down some sort of road. The list goes on.

Mugwort can be smoked or drank in a tea. It can even be used as an incense.
    I used a mugwort and mullein tea once for insight. Lots of dreams that night.

Comment

Originally posted by Ula View Post
      I used a mugwort and mullein tea once for insight. Lots of dreams that night.
      Mugwort does that. I had a friend wonder why it was ok to be high as a kite while you were dreaming but not while you were awake, the properties of some herbals never cease to amaze me!
      http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
      ~Jim Butcher

Comment

My main concern with using mind-altering substances to enter a more receptive state is the uncertainty of whether any experiences that occur under its influence are real or simply an illusion created by the substance in your mind. I would prefer to reach a more receptive state through trance or meditation. I've seen people reacting to completely illusionary objects and people while under the influence of drugs so I would not like to have what I thought was a "spiritual" experience only to find it was just the drugs messing with my neurones :-/
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Artemisia View Post
          My main concern with using mind-altering substances to enter a more receptive state is the uncertainty of whether any experiences that occur under its influence are real or simply an illusion created by the substance in your mind. I would prefer to reach a more receptive state through trance or meditation. I've seen people reacting to completely illusionary objects and people while under the influence of drugs so I would not like to have what I thought was a "spiritual" experience only to find it was just the drugs messing with my neurones :-/
          I tend to feel that way myself, I do not personally use any illegal substance for anything, and honestly never have. That does not invalidate them as having been in many cases traditionally used to induce a more receptive state, or trance. There were, (and quite frankly still are) people in all sorts of traditions who use mixtures of poisions and other herbs that are not really safe at all to do the same thing. These practices happen all over the world, and some are safer than others. It is not something everyone does or even should do, but I do agrwee that there are other ways, especially if that is your preference
          http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
          ~Jim Butcher

Comment

Originally posted by Artemisia View Post
            My main concern with using mind-altering substances to enter a more receptive state is the uncertainty of whether any experiences that occur under its influence are real or simply an illusion created by the substance in your mind.
            The general suggestion I've seen among those who do use entheogens of various sorts, is that one has to develop the skills to do trance-work in a few different ways without such substances first. That way, one, you don't end up relying on any one substance (or even method) for all your workings, and two, if you do bring something like that into your practice, you'll have previous experiences to compare to. It's also considered important to build a spiritual bond with whatever substance before use.

It's not for everyone of course, there are plenty of other techniques that can be used, but it's an old practice that does work for some people.
            Hearth and Hedge

Comment

The general suggestion I've seen among those who do use entheogens of various sorts, is that one has to develop the skills to do trance-work in a few different ways without such substances first. That way, one, you don't end up relying on any one substance (or even method) for all your workings, and two, if you do bring something like that into your practice, you'll have previous experiences to compare to. It's also considered important to build a spiritual bond with whatever substance before use.

It's not for everyone of course, there are plenty of other techniques that can be used, but it's an old practice that does work for some people.
              That makes a lot of sense. I didn't think of that way. I think in many ways it is also a fear of losing control for me.
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X