No announcement yet.

Have you ever wanted a different name?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Have you ever wanted a different name?

I have always liked my real name, Gretchen. It's just different enough. Most call me Gretch. My nickname one group of friends use is Greedy. I know it sounds mean but it's not, lol. I use Ula cause it was supposed to be my craft name, I see no reason to change it. I like using it at all the boards so people know it's the same person.

Comment

I'm fine with Jimmy, James is kind of awkward sounding though. JAAAMMMESSS. Weird on the tongue.

I've thought seriously about changing my last name though, no one pronounces or spells it right...
      Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

Finn suits me. I had a crisis early this year where I really wanted to change it because it relates to my father buuut I realized I'm a Finn. I like the long version, Finnegan, but mostly people just end up shortening it anyway. :P

selume proferre

Comment

YES.

My name is Michelle.

No, not Michelle. Michael. My genius pops just spells it Michelle regardless of the fact that Michelle is another name entirely.

Every introduction is a pain in my ass. Every substitute teacher. Every award. Every collect caller. FUCKING EVERYONE I MEET has to have this explained to them, some of whom are asshats about it and question me about my own name.

My name is my burden. I carry it, but my god do I hate it sometimes. I'll probably just change the spelling to "Michal." I like being a Mike. I just hate the explanation and the lack of ability to PROVE my name is Michelle...Michael...whatever.
          No one tells the wind which way to blow.

Comment

Actually, yes. And I plan on legally changing my name once I save up the money to do so. I plan on changing both my first and middle name.

Comment

I like my name because it sounds like a shiny stone! I once had to pay £48 to have my name changed from Gemma to Jemma! In high school, I thought it would be cool to start writing my name with a J. The result of this was that all my qualifications, including my DEGREE, ended up in the name 'Jemma'. When I got the job in Japan, I applied for a passport, which obviously used my birth name of Gemma. Japan refused to process my visa until the names matched, so I had to change my name officially and apply for a new passport.

The change of name deed is so much fun to read out loud!

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, seems I'm too late to edit already (really? FIVE minutes?) but I have considered giving myself a different name when I visit Japan. A LOT of Japanese mishear me at first and think I've said my name is 'Jama', which translates as something like a nuisance, inconveniance or a bother. Add to this, that my partner's family name sounds a bit like the Japanese word for 'stupid', and you can understand why a fake name might become necessary in time!
              夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Comment

I dislike my name for a few reasons. It's john which is the same as my father's. The other's reason is that it's so damn common. It means God's grace or God is gracious. Growing up I really hated the way I wrote it, I really hated having a J at the beginning of it because it looked so weird to me. I've gotten over that but I still dislike it. There's a lot of names I like and I usually use them for characters I write about. I really hate it but I've had this name so long it seems like it is part of me. I've been using the name Asher for my alter egos and for blogging or writitng. It means Blessed or Happy. I chose that because my alter ego would be everything I wanted to be and I thought I might be influenced by it. The meaning of names is something I consider a lot. Would I consider legally changing my name to Asher? I don't know, maybe.
                  Circe

Comment

Originally posted by Corvus View Post
                    I dislike my name for a few reasons. It's john which is the same as my father's. The other's reason is that it's so damn common. It means God's grace or God is gracious. Growing up I really hated the way I wrote it, I really hated having a J at the beginning of it because it looked so weird to me. I've gotten over that but I still dislike it. There's a lot of names I like and I usually use them for characters I write about. I really hate it but I've had this name so long it seems like it is part of me. I've been using the name Asher for my alter egos and for blogging or writitng. It means Blessed or Happy. I chose that because my alter ego would be everything I wanted to be and I thought I might be influenced by it. The meaning of names is something I consider a lot. Would I consider legally changing my name to Asher? I don't know, maybe.
                    See, I really like the name John, but my boyfriend hates his name for similar reasons. He's called Jon-Paul because his mum liked the Beatles. He insists everyone just call him by his initials, 'JP'. It's a real shame. I'd like to call him Jon-Paul, but he won't have it! It sounds ever so posh!
                    夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Originally posted by Amelia-Mary View Post
                      Out of curiosity, how do you pronounce it?
                      Pronounce what? My real name? I didn't even list it. :P
                      �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
                      ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
                      Sneak Attack
                      Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

I've considered a legal name change a few times. But really, there's no need. My "given" name is Michael, which is a good name, but matching it up with my last name? Oy. The Minneapolis phone book has PAGES of people with the very same name (a few with the same middle initial and even some with the exact same middle name) that I've found both a boon and a bane.

In any case, the name I'd change it to? People already call me that, and have for a couple of decades, so what would be the point, really? Legal documents? I already sign like a doctor so the scribble makes no difference either.

So, have I ever wanted a different name? Yes and no.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

Working...
                        X