X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What to do with Chik-fil-A?

Originally posted by ChainLightning View Post
    This!

For anyone, if boycotting is your thing? Knock yourself out.
    If sending letters of discontent is more your style? Have at.
    If just making it through the day is enough to be concerned with? Get on it, sport.

Not everyone has to fall in line and do the exact same things as the next person. From apathy to extremism it's all just an individual's choice. I don't understand all the hullabaloo over it.
    Originally posted by Medusa View Post
    I want to believe what i want to believe!

But don't you dare believe what i don't believe!
    That is not my stance at all. Believe what the hell you want. I will believe and do what I want. If people are gonna be like this about it I can keep my opposite opinion to myself and just not bother posting what I think since it's annoying to other members.

Comment

Oooh, dirt! Good find, Shadow.

I'd have to go back a few pages to get the exact quote, and who it's from, but I'm being lazy so I'll just paraphrase. If you look hard enough, dig deep enough, I think it's pretty likely to find something on any corporation that may not agree with one's values or principles.

That's not to make a point about about boycotting this particular joint but rather that nearly anyplace that a person would want to boycott, one can find a reason. A good reason, perhaps, that they can share with others and maybe get a group together to work together on trying to make a change or at least start one.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

Originally posted by Ula View Post
        That is not my stance at all. Believe what the hell you want. I will believe and do what I want.
        Hello, what?! That's exactly what I said, just in different terms. I wasn't saying what YOU believe, I was quoting the one key point that I feel everyone needs to seriously comprehend. That is to say, not the folks here at PF specifically but, *everyone* in a very generalized way.

You'd posted that you did what YOU believed was right, basically, and felt better because of it. Yes?

Did you demand that anyone else change their views and join you? No. Did someone else demand that you follow them? No. It was a personal decision.

THAT is my whole stance. I don't care one iota which way people want to handle this uproar with Chik-fil-A. My contempt is with trying to force others to adopt a view they don't have. Ula, you said nothing of the sort! I quoted that sentence, alone, because I believe that "I felt better" bit is what matters most. People should do what they feel is right, for themselves.

***For debates, I might suggest a bit thicker skin. This is all meant in good conversational exchanges... that may often times get a bit heated.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

That is not my stance at all. Believe what the hell you want. I will believe and do what I want. If people are gonna be like this about it I can keep my opposite opinion to myself and just not bother posting what I think since it's annoying to other members.
          So If I have this belief you are gonna take your beliefs and leave? Because ...
          YOU want to believe what YOU want to believe.
          But how dare I believe what I believe.

I wasn't actually revering to you.But hell. You just outed yourself.
          Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

We don't have a Chik-fil-A here in Canada but I don't think other's outrage regarding this is saying that they shouldn't have free speech and I honestly wish people would stop interpreting it as that. They're donating to places that are committed to taking away the basic civil rights of a group (one of these groups which include Exodus International? Correct me if I'm wrong, however. I'm trying to look into that as I type this...)

And because of that, I can understand why people would be in a hiffy about it. No one is taking away anyone's free speech by simply being uncomfortable with buying products from a company that is donating money--that the individual has helped them make--to groups that are committed to taking away basic civil rights to others? I honestly don't understand how something simple like that is saying that they're not allowed to believe what they want?

If we had a Chik-fil-A in Canada, I would not buy any of their products simply because of that. That's all. They can be homophobic all they want, I just wouldn't want my money fueling that homophobia further, you know? Free speech and all that?
            Wild Witchy Dusk | TwitterMy Art Blog | My Deviantart

Comment

I find it interesting (and kind of puzzling) that people are seeing the boycott as a 'you just don't want them to have an opinion' thing, when, it's not. It's an 'I don't want my money to go to something "I" don't believe in' thing. No one said they can't have an opinion. They are entitled to it, as I am entitled to not go to their restaurant. 'You can't believe that', said no CFA boycotter -- ever.

That said, I think Boston and Chicago mayors went in way beyond their mandates and should retract their comments on this entire situation.....
              Allow me to lend a machete to your intellectual thicket. ~ Captain Jack Sparrow

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
                So If I have this belief you are gonna take your beliefs and leave? Because ...
                YOU want to believe what YOU want to believe.
                But how dare I believe what I believe.

I wasn't actually revering to you.But hell. You just outed yourself.
                You two have been rude to anyone stating they will boycott. I don't have to sit and take anyone being an ass. So yes I outed myself a someone who supports my gay friends being able to get married and not having to listen to anyone tell me I shouldn't.

Don't worry I will be limiting my posting to the whole site to not offend anyone. Everybody get what they want.

Comment

Originally posted by cesara View Post
                  I find it interesting (and kind of puzzling) that people are seeing the boycott as a 'you just don't want them to have an opinion' thing, when, it's not. It's an 'I don't want my money to go to something "I" don't believe in' thing. No one said they can't have an opinion. They are entitled to it, as I am entitled to not go to their restaurant. 'You can't believe that', said no CFA boycotter -- ever.
                  I'll go a step further and say it's very puzzling.

Making the choice to boycott, or not, is one's own decision, and has (or at least should have) nothing whatsoever to do with anyone else's opinion. I feel chagrined that people make so much more out of things than needs be. For instance, my choice to *not* boycott is solely based on my belief that there's a better way to affect changes in policy. That is to say that the next person, that does choose to boycott, probably believes boycotting is the best means...

Where does anyone else's opinion enter into that equation? This is why I'm so adamant that people should decide for themselves and not just blindly follow the [whatever] herd. For those that choose to avoid making that decision? They've still made their choice.

So where's the fuss come from?

-------------------------------------------------

You two have been rude to anyone stating they will boycott.
                  Me?? You are highly mistaken! I have yet to turn rude in this debate - and, really, it is quite unlikely to even happen.

I don't have to sit and take anyone being an ass. So yes I outed myself a someone who supports my gay friends being able to get married and not having to listen to anyone tell me I shouldn't.
                  I support all my gay friends, too! Insinuating that I don't? Who's being rude, here??

Don't worry I will be limiting my posting to the whole site to not offend anyone. Everybody get what they want.
                  That's a cop-out. You walk into a debate and cry foul when someone [me] agrees with you?

Okay. Here's a point that I don't agree with you on: your turning a friendly debate into a victimization and blaming others for having an opinion.

Comment

So let me see...

One group calls for a boycott,
                    Their opponents call for an anit-boycott,
                    The first group then calls for a same sex kiss event,
                    I've lost track of the new counter measure,
                    But I bet it will do little besides increase the general comedy of the whole exchange.

Both sides would be just as effective if they lined up on opposite sides of a ditch and stuck out their tongues at eachother. But this way of doing business is funnier.
                    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

You two have been rude to anyone stating they will boycott. I don't have to sit and take anyone being an ass. So yes I outed myself a someone who supports my gay friends being able to get married and not having to listen to anyone tell me I shouldn't.

So boycott this thread.

Comment

...How are they being rude when they are simply stating their opinion like you? They're not telling you to not support your gay friends at all. They're just in the opinion that boycotting isn't the best option. (?)
                        Wild Witchy Dusk | TwitterMy Art Blog | My Deviantart

Comment

Meh. I would boycott CFA if I could (I'm in Canada) and I don't think anyone has been rude. Chain says 'have at 'er' if you are so inclined but he, personally, thinks there are better ways to go about it. He may be right. *shrugs* And Medusa disagrees with the boycott because she feels it is trying to silence peoples' (CEOs) opinion. I have voiced that I disagree, but I haven't at all felt they have been rude. It could be that I have the benefit of having been here for quite some time and am familiar with their posting personalities.

At any rate, I think you'll miss out on some good conversations and debates if you leave. I have to agree with Chain, a little thick skin can go a long way, here....for the most part, people here are straight shooters and they aren't afraid to express their thoughts and even disagree with others.

sigpic

Comment

I've never eaten at a Chickfila.

I never will.

I just like to trollololol.

Comment

Look, I haven't been eating at CFA for over a year. CFA has excellent chicken. Really, really excellent. Quite possibly some of the best fried chicken ever. To top it off, their customer service is excellent--including someone that will take your tray to your table if you are a parent with their hands full of squirmy kids or someone that is disabled, their restaurants are immaculately clean (including their bathrooms which have complimentary diapers, wipes and feminine products "just in case"), and most of them around here have play areas (while most of the McD's are knocking theirs down) for a rainy day. I can see why someone would eat there, it used to be one of my fave places to take the kids, rather than McD's. But I still haven't eaten there in over a year, because I don't want my money going to the organizations they support.

Quite simply, I consider an adult person's decision to have sex with another consenting adult to be their own damn business, and not that of religious or governmental organizations...furthermore, as biological evidence continues to support that gender, sex, and sexual orientation are not of one's conscious choosing (and even it was not the case), I think that an LGBT (add a letter) person's life and lively hood (and that of their partner) should have the same access to the same rights that the others share should be protected from institutional discrimination...including employment, adoption, marriage, hospital visitation, tax benefits, and death benefits.

For me, that means not supporting a business that uses its profits to contribute to "charities" that practice discrimination (still can't find the damn articles that prompted us to stop eating there in the first place because of all the recent stuff) or seek to allow for the institutionalization of discrimination, that uses its profits to contribute to lobbying groups that tacitly support anti-homosexuality legislation resulting in the death penalty in foreign countries, that uses its profits to help fun so-called "ex-gay" ministries (specifically Exodus International which, until very recently has heavily promoted conversion therapy), and (what most people are pissed off about) that uses its profits to endorse organizations seeking to define marriage for all Americans by their religious standards on the basis of their theological opinion in direct violation to the First Amendment. I might add that because I choose to "vote with my dollars" whenever its fiscally possible, CFA is not the only place (or brand) that I don't eat (or shop at/for). I also don't care if you *do* eat there. What is morally objectionable to me might not matter so much to you.

This is not about freedom of speech...Dan Cathy has the right to his opinion. Dan Cathy has the right to donate his money to the cause of whom ever he wishes. But Dan Cathy should consider being a little more like this guy. Because, at the end of the day, everyone else has the right to their opinion as well. When you use the profits of your corporation (as opposed to personal contributions of the money you personally make from the business) to fund bigotry from your profits (or child slavery and chocolate, or wars with child soldiers and diamonds, or killing dolphins and tuna, or making people sit at the back of the bus because of their skin color), people will eventually notice, and some of them will give a damn. At the end of the day, everyone else has the right to their opinion too, and the right to go to somewhere else to eat. Or to have the opinion not to give a fuck, the opinion just to love chicken sammies pressure fried in highly refined peanut oil of hate (The Hubby says that is what makes them taste so delicious) (that was a joke by the way), or the opinion to consciously and purposefully support said business for their bigotry. I just happen to give a damn about this more than I love their chicken, so I choose to eat elsewhere...but I don't expect everyone else to share my opinion.

Actually, in this whole thing, the people I feel badly for are CFA's employees...especially if they are gay...and in other apparent CFA problems if they are female.

Also, I think its funny that everyone is getting pissy over expressing what is seemingly the same thing...
                              Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                              sigpic

Comment

+1 if I could, Thal.....yes, that!

[edit] Ooo, I CAN +1! Yip ! [/edit]

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X