Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Q & A on Jehovah's Witnesses

Thank you for your answers.

In spite of the fact that they always manage to knock on my door a half hour after I've fallen asleep (I work graveyard), the few Jehovah's Witnesses I've known in person seemed to be some of the more sane and reasonable Christians I've met. They've at least been able to explain why they believe as they do, and it's not always, "Because that's what the Bible says". The rationality behind most of the beliefs have given me a lot of respect for the people I've met who are JWs.
    The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Yes, it's sad that the humble, kind and good-natured ones sometimes get overshadowed by the controversy that the few popping Xanax, Perphenazine and/or Lithium make.

[color=red]My friend's mom - "What's the name of that movie with Mel Gibson and the ailiens?"
      My friend- "Passion of the Crist"
      Me= *ROFLMGAO*

Comment

Hmm...well they don't know I am a Satanist. They do know I was interested in becoming a Muslim at one point. Then again Laveyan Satanism doesn't involve spirits, the dead or demons.
        Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

[quote author=Medusa link=topic=341.msg4707#msg4707 date=1287480046]
          Then again Laveyan Satanism doesn't involve spirits, the dead or demons.
          [/quote]
          To a JW, Satanism is Satanism. Unfortunately. Just as the belief that everyone that isn't JW is worshiping a false God. Which in their eyes, isn't as bad as actually worshiping Satan; but just barely. :/

[color=red]My friend's mom - "What's the name of that movie with Mel Gibson and the ailiens?"
          Me= *ROFLMGAO*

Comment

JW stopped by my house once a few years ago. I told them I was a Shaman. We exchanged some friendly words, questions were asked both ways and I haven't seen them since. Not sure if they still stop by. I was working a night shift at the time.

All in all it wasn't unpleasant but it's not something I would tolerate once a week.
            �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
            ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
            Sneak Attack
            Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

[quote author=Thaleia Chara link=topic=341.msg4861#msg4861 date=1287506124]
              To a JW, Satanism is Satanism. Unfortunately. Just as the belief that everyone that isn't JW is worshiping a false God. Which in their eyes, isn't as bad as actually worshiping Satan; but just barely. :/
              [/quote]
              Interesting. I guess JW should do some research about Satanism. I do not worship any god. Oh but I can't remember, but I am pretty sure they turn off the lights for Halloween so we get no trick or treaters.
              Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

I've known jws all my life; we are neighbors. They are very nice people who haven't "forced" their religion on me. But now I have a problem. About a year ago I agreed to study with a friend of theirs. It was part religious curiosity and partly just to get said person to stop asking me at every party. Now I've come to the pagan path and want to stop studying. Trouble is I don't want to damage the relationship; especially with the neighbors, but the friend too. I decided to wait til the end of the study book, but that end is fast approaching. Any advice?

Comment

[quote author=Evergreen link=topic=341.msg5194#msg5194 date=1287580399]
                  Now I've come to the pagan path and want to stop studying. Trouble is I don't want to damage the relationship; especially with the neighbors, but the friend too. I decided to wait til the end of the study book, but that end is fast approaching. Any advice?
                  [/quote]

Well, this is sort of a tricky situation. If they even get the slightest whiff that you're practicing or even studying pagan religions, they'll pull back faster than lightning. If you say that you just wanted to do the book study for curiosity, they'll keep either insisting till you give in or they might just move on to other studies and leave you alone, but don't expect the warm fuzzy treatment anymore. :/

Especially now a days when HQ (the Watchtower) in Brooklyn, NY has been eager to get new members due to the "End Times" being so near.(again... O_o) Each active Witness receives 50 invitations to give out to their studies or anyone interested to attend the district assemblies. If they can't distribute all 50 by 2 months before the assembly they have to give the remaining stack to someone who can. I found this out from the last assembly my mother and sister went to.

So right now, their focus is to get you to start coming to Kingdom Hall and the assemblies, and if you're undecided after a period of time, they might as well just move on. Tread very carefully and choose your words wisely when you tell them you want to stop studying. If I were you, I wouldn't get my hopes up. Even if there is no big falling out between you guys, unfortunately, the relationship will suffer.

If you like you can tell them that you gave the religion a chance but there are things that you don't agree with. Whatever you do don't mention anything about any other religion or path. (Sometimes I think they would rather someone tell them that they are atheists than admit they follow pagan paths.) Whatever you choose, you need to be adamant about your decision or they will keep on insisting in the future. Good luck.

Me= *ROFLMGAO*

Comment

So what is the logic for not celebrating holidays?

Do the JWs have any rites like communion etc?

Also is there any way to put yourself on a do-no-knock list so to speak? I get hit up by both the local LDS and JWs and it makes me crazy. I rent a room from my father and he's a militant atheist whereas I'm a Druid and either way I resent the evengalists repeatedly showing up. /rant

Comment

Working...
                    X