Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ethics what's your take?

My take -

"Bad" = what harms the person using the word. Example: My cat is bad - she pee'd on my shoes.

"Good" = what benefits the person using the word. Example: My cat is good. She keeps my lap warm when I'm not wearing pants.

"Evil" = very bad, expressed in such a way that one isn't allowed to argue. Example: Killing is evil. Therefore, anybody who kills is evil.

My personal ethics -
    Avoid bad, steer for good. Don't trust people who use the word "evil" as if evil is a real, solid, concrete thing - they may not realize it, but they're playing you.
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

A fall more in the vicinity of Corbin's than I do the 10 Commandments. I've argued for the Nine, at various times in the past, but the truth of the matter is that I feel a sense of being manipulated, in their use, much like the Commandments.

Ethics to me aren't as solid as, say, integrity. I can fudge a little, with ethics. Or a lot, if the case may call for it. Since it's a personal matter, though, ethics don't play that much of a part in living my life. It's more like an assessment, of looking back on what I've done.

That is to say, by anyone else's standards, I fully expect to be considered immoral and unethical. I'm simply honour-bound to maintain my integrity, not other people's judgements.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

I don't have a strong moral/ethical code of any type. I don't go in for intangible qualities, like honor or integrity. Most of my ethics are mainly good manners.

I try not to take more than I absolutely need.

I try not to inflict my will onto other living creatures beyond what is necessary for my survival. One could point out that I share my space with two ball pythons who would probably want to be out in the wilds. However, if you've ever seen them 'set free in the desert', they come crawling back to me in a hurry, watching the sky the entire time. They were broken when I got them, I just try not to break them more. My dog has no prey instinct. She's retarded. My husband has no prey instinct, either. And he crawls back faster than the snakes whenever I try to set him free.

Just because I don't like someone doesn't mean I can't be civil. If you are civil to your enemies, they will eventually let their guard down.

I will fight back if provoked. I think it's ok to be angry. It's ok to defend oneself and ones space/loved ones/belongings.

I will do almost anything to continue having indoor plumbing and electricity, including but not limited to killing people in foreign countries.

I let old and disabled people get on elevators & in line before me. Old people don't have much time left & shouldn't have to wait in longer lines than absolutely necessary. I hold doors open for people with their hands full, and look behind me before letting a door close when I pass through it. I stand a few feet away from the elevator when I'm waiting for it, so people can exit.

I make noise when I walk or move things. It's rude to disturb scorpions and bears and other living things without advance warning. I usually walk around things instead of moving them out of the way.

I try not to poke strangers in the eyes. It's a struggle for me, the not-poking thing.

I say 'thank you' after sex.

Stealing, lying and cheating are not necessarily bad things, as long as they are done with class and in good cheer. Some of my best recipes begin with 'First you steal a chicken...'
        The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

OK. I am definitely into integrity because, for me, this means knowing and being true to oneself. I do not consider this a code of ethics, though.

As far as ethics, it pretty much comes down to "be kind." No need to get angry or hateful to do what needs doing.

For the record, I am still working on it.

"No, no, you're not thinking; you're just being logical." -- Niels Bohr

Comment

I've never really thought of setting out a code (I'm assuming the Gibbs rules don't count) I pretty much go with, if it feels wrong don't do it. I suppose when I start raising a family I'll have to think more deeply about the nature of good/bad.

Also, for some reason this brought an old saying to my mind. "Be good. If you can't be good, be careful. If you can't be careful, remember the date." Not really anything to do with the topic at hand, but it always amused me.
            ~J

"The very young do not always do as they are told."

Comment

Working...
            X