X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nbdy
    replied
    Re: "God given right"

Well, yeah, I think the idea of "unalienable rights" sort of falls into the same category as "inherent meaning." Where God comes into it varies with how a person defines "God."

Inasmuch as others cannot entirely control the content of one's thoughts, I suppose there is some "right" to believe what you will.
    Inasmuch as those beliefs become a religious practice that can be apprehended by others, it is not so much a right as having the permission of your society.

Leave a comment:

• Tylluan Penry
    replied

The biggest problem with rights is that the people who usually have the most, rarely want to share with those who have the least.

Leave a comment:

• AL!CE
    replied

Rights are man given. If they were God given then the more religious countries would have better civil rights records than the more secular ones. This is not the case.
    Also rights wouldn't change so much over time if they were decided by some God.

My Goddess is all about people learning, she's not going to dictate rights, she wants the human race to figure out how best to treat itself. She can be cold and hard like the winter and soft and warm like the spring. Does she tell the Wolf how to treat its pack? No she gives it a brain and some instincts and lets him get on with it.

For the record I do believe in evolution but I think it is like a computer programme written by the divine. If you understand the programme and know what you are putting into it you should have a pretty good idea what you'll get out.

Leave a comment:

• Caelia
    replied

I believe in rights, though I don't believe they're god given. I'm pretty sure, though, there are rights we all can agree are inalienable.

Leave a comment:

• Medusa
    started a topic "God given right"

"God given right"

I have a Christian friend who is seriously NOT handling the loss of the Republican candidate. I mean he's on a tail spin of pity fiesta. He made a comment on fb and I let it go because, hey, it's fb. But I figured here is a good place to discuss it.

He stated:
    "We have a God given right to freedom of religion"

My reply:
    "No. That's the Constitution"

Do we really have the right to freedom of religion?
    And more importantly as most of you are deity believers but not of the Abrahamic group:
    Does your deity give you any rights? Are the Abrahamic religions the only religion that have 'god given rights'?
Working...
X