This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

General Petraeus Affair

Hopefully you've been watching news. Well us Americans have. For those not in the know (because I don't think other countries take this as such a news story to be honest. France comes to mind)
    CIA Opperative General Petraeus had an affair with his biographer. And with that he stepped down from the CIA. Though so far no leaked secrets of the CIA were mentioned. Do you think he should have stepped down? Does an affair affect a work position? Technically he was still following military code of conduct where adultery is still a crime. So what are you thoughts on this?
    Satan is my spirit animal

Re: General Petraeus Affair

I don't think adult consensual sex is a reason to be vilified, no matter what position you hold or what you do or don't do for a living. If you 'cheat' on your spouse, that should be between you, your spouse, and your sexual partners, not you, your spouse, your sexual partners, the government, the media and the World News Weekly.

But, since Petraeus violated the terms of his employment, he did the graceful thing by bowing out. Of course, no one is going to let him step down gracefully - they're going to ride his ass from now until he dies.
    The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Originally posted by perzephone View Post
      I don't think adult consensual sex is a reason to be vilified, no matter what position you hold or what you do or don't do for a living. If you 'cheat' on your spouse, that should be between you, your spouse, and your sexual partners, not you, your spouse, your sexual partners, the government, the media and the World News Weekly.

But, since Petraeus violated the terms of his employment, he did the graceful thing by bowing out. Of course, no one is going to let him step down gracefully - they're going to ride his ass from now until he dies.
      My brother is ex military. He says if an affair is found out it's a big no-no. No doubt it came out at the right time.

Comment

A friend emailed this quote, but I don't know who said it: "We have too many generals taking orders from their privates."

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Ula View Post
        My brother is ex military. He says if an affair is found out it's a big no-no. No doubt it came out at the right time.
        A friend in the service went to Leavenworth because he got caught with a married woman; he was not married, but she was. He was lower enlisted, though. I'll bet the generals don't go to jail.

"No, no, you're not thinking; you're just being logical." -- Niels Bohr

Comment

So we're likely never going to say the words, "President Patraeus" - big effin' deal. His chance to run for that is ruined. I'd have been mixed about that idea anyway.

Beyond that, I'm not sure I care about his sex life. He even managed to keep national secrets a secret with his sleeping around?!

Yes, he's a scumbag for cheating on his wife - if she consented to it, I withdraw that statement - but he's a scumbag with a unique set of skills that are incredibly useful for our nation. You know what? We've put up with much worse before for decades - starting with ye olde "Manhattan Project", in one instance.
          "A true initiation never ends"-Robert Anton Wilson
          http://www.hermetic.com/crowley
          "Reality has become a commodity"-Stephen Colbert 1/29/07
          http://www.chaosmatrix.org/
          "Sometimes, when you can't breathe, there are people there to breathe for you" - Aesop Rock
          http://upholdingmaat.wordpress.com

Comment

CIA guys very good. We like them. They can do whatever they want. America number one.
            *locks door, wears tinfoil hat.
            [4:82]

Comment

Originally posted by perzephone View Post

General Petraeus was a fairly decent general, yes he had sex and it was not with his wife, well that happens, I do not like it but I do not personally feel as though this is all that evil... That said, adultry is against the Uniformed Code of Military Justice, MrPetraeus knew that, it is not a big secret that they spring upon the unwary, everyone in the military knows it, (and many of them choose to ignore it.) As for the other crap, whether he was forced to step down, whatever, there will always be conspiracy nuts. I don't know if there is anything to the other crazy allegations, but I do know that Mr. Petraeus knew that this was always a possibility when he did what he did... It is what it is I suppose...

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Dumuzi View Post
              CIA guys very good. We like them. They can do whatever they want. America number one.
              *locks door, wears tinfoil hat.
              Tinfoil is not nearly as effective as alluminum found in the bin... covered with a bit of cooking oil, extra barrier...
              http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
              ~Jim Butcher

Comment

Working...
              X