Ugh Auto-Tune

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ugh Auto-Tune

I hate this software so much. As a singer, I know it can make your life easier, but to be honest I'd rather practice a ton and get it right and have my real talent shine through than use it. But it seems so prevalent now.

I'm spending my sunday night catching up on Glee, and while they've always heavily used auto-tune, I can now hear it in the songs with the more experienced singers in the cast. WTF? I know these people can do better. They're good singers. Why not let that really shine?

Re: Ugh Auto-Tune

A-friggin-men!

If it hasn't become sheer laziness it's horrendous sounding to me. It really sounds tinny and muted, as if they're singing into a tin can. When you factor in I may have music-color synesthesia it really adds problems for me.
    my etsy store
    My blog

"...leave me curled up in my ball,
    surrounded by plush, downy things,
    ill prepared, but willing,
    to descend."

Comment

I know that time is money in recording, but seriously people...it's called practice. We've all had to do it for the entire history of recorded music, and before that the entire history of performance. If you can't do the work to go into the art, don't do it.

I'm amazed that they think we can't hear it...

Comment

It reminds me of a show called "The Boondocks". They had an episode where they made a running gag of the autotune where even the crackheads (yes, actual crack addicts) acted as if there was something wrong with the guy for using it.
        my etsy store
        My blog

"...leave me curled up in my ball,
        surrounded by plush, downy things,
        ill prepared, but willing,
        to descend."

Comment

I really dislike it as well. The only time it's acceptable is in electronic music when they make the auto tune obvious.

Comment

Once I heard ALL the ladies on the various real housewives on Bravo use it, I pretty much decided it was the antichrist.
            This is how we die.
            Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
              I know that time is money in recording, but seriously people...it's called practice. We've all had to do it for the entire history of recorded music, and before that the entire history of performance. If you can't do the work to go into the art, don't do it.

I'm amazed that they think we can't hear it...
              Actually I have come to the conclusion that most of the population of the world must be tone deaf as well (I think most people can't hear it to be honest.) It is a shame that you can tell when a performance is actually live because it sounds absolutely terrible. But at least they are trying... I guess... Actual honest vocal talent is just so rare anymore, no one even seems to know what it is....
              http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
              ~Jim Butcher

Comment

It bothers me too. I don't really have an issue with them using it but just so much makes it sound weird. I see bands in concert and theyre still good but there is a noticeable difference. Don't EVEN get me started on these popular pop singers. Their over reliance on auto tune is ridiculous. It's like how do these people even get recording deals? don't you have to be able to sing a little to get a cd made?
                Circe

Comment

You'd think so, seeing as the whole marketing machine behind pop music is basically dead due to illegal downloads. To get signed now, you have to have a significant live following as well as an online presence BEFORE they'll even bother with you....basically they want you to have done the ground work for them, because they're not so likely to take risks anymore. I suppose some people do have the online presence to a high degree.

Comment

Working...
                  X