Help me name my sword.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Help me name my sword.

Right I think I'm sticking with 'Dusk-Rarity' (Dusk for short) and I've written a little poem:

Dusk-Rarity

Dusk-Rarity
    Disparity
    The Zombie Slayer Sword
    Off with head
    One more dead
    Rest in peace deplored

- - - Updated - - -

Ok my girlfriend thinks that sucks, so back to the drawing board I guess.

Comment

I call my harp 'Cariad' - it means beloved.
      www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Obviously, you should call it Z.O.D.

Zombie Omitting Device.

Kneel before Z.O.D.
        [4:82]

Comment

I'd call it something so mundane that people would be like "WTF"?!?!?

Like Molly or Fred or George or Beatrice.
          Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post

Mundane names have good entertainment value.

Though, of the examples you've given I couldn't use Fred or George for a blade without cracking up laughing. Those names made their way into a DnD game with my sister as split personalities (well fake split personalities but anyway) of a specific wizard and they were sufficiently over the top to be straight parodies. Dangerous parodies that threw fire and lightning or discussed proper customer service while torturing people but parodies none the less.
            life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

I generally name mine after amusing events from their history, like "Ball Slasher."
              Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

I'm naming my new sword... 'Winter'

Originally posted by thalassa View Post

My staff is named Fred after the man who made it.

- - - Updated - - -

Right now that I've named my new sword, let's turn this into a general sword thread. If you own any swords post pictures of them and tell us their names (if they have names and you are willing to share). If you don't own a sword maybe there is one you are eye-ing up or maybe you have some other weapons...

Comment

Comment

These are some of my antiques. As far as I know, none have names, although the ram in the center is named Bertram.

The Kriss (from somewhere in Indo-China, bottom left) might have had a name, once. There's all kinds of juju about these particular swords. The Ethiopian saber (big curvy one on the right side, second from bottom) might have had a name, once, because it's a personal item. All the rest are munition's grade, except the Bedouin scimitar... but I don't know about Muslim sword naming customs...

I'll show you some of my working blades later...

P.S. - nice swords, yours are...
                    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post

These are some of my antiques. As far as I know, none have names, although the ram in the center is named Bertram.

The Kriss (from somewhere in Indo-China, bottom left) might have had a name, once. There's all kinds of juju about these particular swords. The Ethiopian saber (big curvy one on the right side, second from bottom) might have had a name, once, because it's a personal item. All the rest are munition's grade, except the Bedouin scimitar... but I don't know about Muslim sword naming customs...

I'll show you some of my working blades later...

P.S. - nice swords, yours are...

Nice collection, I like the two that are two away from Bertram (both directions) with the black handles best. Sabres (which I believe one of those is) used to be my favourites before I got into medieval bastard swords.

Comment

Originally posted by AL!CE View Post
                        Nice collection, I like the two that are two away from Bertram (both directions) with the black handles best. Sabres (which I believe one of those is) used to be my favourites before I got into medieval bastard swords.
                        Thanks. Those are tulwars, an Indian type of saber. I think they date back to Colonial India, and most likely around 185- . I've seen some weapons like these come on the market recently which had been confiscated after the Sepoy Rebellion.

I really prefer the bastards also. My working blades are a 15xx German Gothic style bastard, and a huge war sword that is definitely intended for two hand use only! I also like to work with pole arms and quarterstaff- there's something inherently soothing in moving with a weapon in your hands!

Comment

I don't have a sword but I did a ritual asking my athame for it's name.

Comment

I am about to buy new katana (Boker Magnum, 1064 high carbon steel) in two weeks time, and I will name it "Kaminari Zanshu", meaning "lightning decapitation".

Comment

My new katana (the upper sword), Kaminari Zanshu, is ready for training and battle I just bought it today.

imageshack.us/a/img855/158/imag0067oc.jpg
                              imageshack.us/a/img651/9828/imag0066ky.jpg

Comment

You have all got to be kidding me. I see the title of this thread, see there are three pages of responses, and I'm sure someone has already made the "Shouldn't this be in the Adult section?" joke...

But no one has?!

Comment

Working...
                                X