Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Woden/Odin/Cerrnunos/Herne/Horned God - are they all the same or what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Woden/Odin/Cerrnunos/Herne/Horned God - are they all the same or what?

Good start. The poem was transcribed most likely by Christian clergy/monks, long after the period when England was supposed to have converted. So first of all, we have to ask ourselves why Woden was not only included in the charm but is actually named. Obviously there is no single answer to that, but we do know that Woden was particularly loathed by the early missionaries and also that he was very difficult to eradicate. So his appearance here is hardly surprising.

You also picked up on the spear - well done! For the Spear was one of Woden's symbols, and you will find it in unlikely places. For example, there is Bede's account of the conversion of Coifi, who throws a spear into a heathen temple. And there is the heathen King Penda who cut up the dead bodies of his defeated enemies after battle and displayed them on stakes/spears.

The Christianisation of the charm is a bit ambiguous... when you get a line such as 'These herbs the wise Lord created,' bear in mind that it was not necessarily Christ who was being referred to. Likewisse, look at the line : 'Holy in heaven, while hanging [on the cross]' the use of square bracket means that these words do not appear in the original AS text. In other words, the scribe/translator put them in because he thought they belonged there. But actually they're not part of the charm at all. Now re-read and you will be probably surprised how different it seems.... and of course this is one good example of a link with Woden aND Odin, because of the Norse stories of how Odin hung on the windswept tree.... was there a link? We can't be sure.

Hope you can see (there is a huge amount more in this charm that we can look at if you wish) that Anglo-Saxon heathenism hides discreetly in the shadows, just waiting to be tempting back out again!
    www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

thanks for the interesting reply,

now, I'm fairly sure that Odin, Woden and Wotan are one and the same - the same archetype at least, as conceptualised by the people of the day in their respective regions.

a glance at a 'Roman God conversion chart' shows that the Greeks/Romans used the concept of Mercury to be Woden, whereas the Celtic Irish used Lugh.

Lugh is interesting here because he is widely revered in Wicca and Druidry - so seems as if Woden can also be part of these systems (to me at least)

Comment

Originally posted by westwoden View Post
        thanks for the interesting reply,

now, I'm fairly sure that Odin, Woden and Wotan are one and the same - the same archetype at least, as conceptualised by the people of the day in their respective regions.

a glance at a 'Roman God conversion chart' shows that the Greeks/Romans used the concept of Mercury to be Woden, whereas the Celtic Irish used Lugh.

Lugh is interesting here because he is widely revered in Wicca and Druidry - so seems as if Woden can also be part of these systems (to me at least)
        Obviously you must believe what appeals to you, but a 'Roman God conversion chart' is extremely misleading. See my other lengthy reply on the other thread you started about gods for better examples of this.

If you insist on syncretising everything however, then the Romans (and some earlly Christians) believed that Odin, Woden and Wotan were the same as Mercury. Funny though, very few people seem to go for that one.

Comment

I"ve just started a thread regarding Goddesses now, so I think some more syncretising and labeling is inevitable , lol.

I seem to have a thing with labels, too rigid perhaps - however, I am open to ideas and possibilities.

Did Woden have a wife, and would the Saxon version be the same as Frigg but with diff. spelling?

Comment

You haven't done any more work on the Nine Herbs Charm? Because there is a load of other information in there... usually, when you want to research something you need to spend some time at it.

Comment

On one hand, yes it depends on your beliefs.

But on the other, it takes some really ridiculous mental acrobatics to make the leap from Odin to Cernunnos. They are two very different beings, with some similar attributes--but mainly because they carry the same role in the culture from which they originate. Flat out, Odin/Woden is not a horned god, and this is the first I've heard of him being referred to as such.

Herne the Hunter is a definably Mediaeval English folkloric figure. He's connected to horned gods due to the iconography and the Modernist comparative religion mindset, which has a tendency to draw connections that aren't really there between mythic figures.

Comment

Odin goes by many names. Each one symbolizes some deed or action he has done. Just as Frau Holda can appear as a young white haired woman or a old crone she is still the same goddess. She is usually doing something fertility related when young and lesson/reward/punishment oriented when old. Woden is usually see as unbending, forceful,direct and even a scary form of Odin. I think they are the same being just different personalities.

Comment

Originally posted by Tylluan Penry View Post
                  You haven't done any more work on the Nine Herbs Charm? Because there is a load of other information in there... usually, when you want to research something you need to spend some time at it.
                  I"m trawling through a lot of material right now, some on the charm and other things such as general deities, ango-saxon history, Jung, etc....

there is just so much to look at but I think I've got the first round dealt with - that is Brigid and Woden as the main pair, but am now stuck on a kind of Druid/Heathen/Wiccan cross (with Druidry the main channel)

Woden just seems to be the real deal for me, hard to explain why in a short paragraph.

any ideas for the next step? thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Ula View Post
                  Woden is usually see as unbending, forceful,direct and even a scary form of Odin. I think they are the same being just different personalities.
                  I like the sound of that, a scary form of Odin - sounds a little Satanic and occultic, another area I would like to expore further.

Comment

Working...
                  X