Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pagan Version Of The "Holy Ghost"?

Originally posted by Lawtan View Post
    Which brings me to another question, would it be considered insulting to invite spirits to walk with you rather than forming a circle? Not so much to do something, but to offer an ear for them and take a challenge to listen to them (30-10 degree weather, shorts and T-shirt, 2+ miles. Walk, not run. I know to some it would seem nothing and to others nuts. I take the steps to warm up/limber down afterwards). Effects - words, phrases, images, emphasis on certain things, pops in. Sometimes, get a full "waking" dream sequence.
    As a Pantheist, with the underlying theme to be as aware as deeply and as often as possible the connection of everything...I NEVER draw a circle. It's just not in my practice. And I have always done my best meditating while walking. I love labrynths. I hike.

This is my path, what I've learned/developed over time and it is what brings me in contact with...everything. So whatever it is that I am connecting to does not find this disrespectful at all.

Different paths for different people. Different styles and journeys. This is mine for now anyway.

Judging, belittling or mocking the path of another only robs ourselves of an opportunity to learn and connect. I DO think that it is good to correct another when they are factually incorrect. Meaning that if they say "I am doing this ritual, or tradition to connect with Blank" and indeed they are not doing what they say, meaning they are playing fast and loose with an established ritual or tradition, to give them a head's up. There is nothing wrong with doing things their own way, as long as they are not passing it off as something else, or attempting to do something, but out of lack of knowledge, missing the mark.

Over the years I've tried or participated in practices of other traditions. Sometimes having a powerful experience, other times getting nothing out of it. I'm really grateful to the people who've shared their knowledge and practice with me, and those who have respected mine as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Lawtan View Post
      Isn't this connection the point of meditation/meditative walking/shamanistic dance/fasting?
      Personally feel a similar experience during active moments outside (waking with an open mind - still can't completely open it. Fear of people has somewhat turned into fear of everything, so the challenge stands to erase my fear so as to open fully my mind) or sensory deprivative meditation (Cold house instead of sweat house).
      Which brings me to another question, would it be considered insulting to invite spirits to walk with you rather than forming a circle? Not so much to do something, but to offer an ear for them and take a challenge to listen to them (30-10 degree weather, shorts and T-shirt, 2+ miles. Walk, not run. I know to some it would seem nothing and to others nuts. I take the steps to warm up/limber down afterwards). Effects - words, phrases, images, emphasis on certain things, pops in. Sometimes, get a full "waking" dream sequence.
      Circles aren't an omnipresent form of craft. They have uses but there are other traditions and methodologies. Regarding the odds of annoying a spirit, shrug, be polite, leave an offering if appropriate and know who you're inviting in advance. That should cut down on risks.
      life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by RiverSong View Post
        Ah, I see! I have felt that electrical surge going through me too! And yes, my meditations are kind of long, for two hours or more. My prayers are intense, because I do become a lot intense in my wishes sometimes. I feel floating, tingly, goosebumps, a rush of emotions... AND there's this cool chill that runs up my spine, sorta like it does when I'm terrified, but in a very positive way and I'm not frighten! It's all good and is why I can't see myself ever leaving this path and going back to Christian roots. In Church (and I'm embarrassed to say this, but I want to be truthful), I felt bored and sometimes nodded off to sleep. Even when it was my turn to lead a short sermon, I felt hallow inside and detached, my mind having it's own thoughts of "yawn... what time is it? I wonder if I will get back in time to watch Buffy The Vampire Slayer..." u_u
        But in my Pagan path, from the start I felt so engaged and this emotion in worship keeps me coming back! I've never felt, "yawn, this is boring." in anything I do in my worship. I love that! ^_^

And about Vodou, I don't practice it, but I respect it. I really respect and admire the Shamanistic paths, but never feel confident enough to follow one of those paths. I'm very comfortable and content with the Wiccan path. So, it's interesting that ASC happens more with the path I admire greatly from a distance. Heehee. My grandfather's genealogy is part Native American, so I've always had a curiosity for shamanistic religions. Thanks for sharing so much info, perzephone!

- - - Updated - - -

Wow, I must look up Awen more. That's interesting. I know a lot of concepts in Christianity come from older religions, but I've always wondered if there was an equivalent to the Holy Ghost. Obviously, I can't ask my Christian friends about stuff like this. LOL! I'm glad this forum is here! Thanks westwoden! ^_^
        Surely the Holy Ghost is part of a trinity that is preChristian in origin with the trident being a common motif. Christianity excluded the Divine Feminine element, the Goddess, which left a large hole in their theology. This would not seem to be case with Jesus and the more we learn about Mary of Magdala the more we may see her as the Goddess element in the story of Christ. She was the messenger of Jesus in biblical records but as
        latest research shows she was also a large part of the message with strong links to the earlier Goddess traditions. Interestingly the Book of Revelations, the last book of the bible, takes us back to the Goddess and there is little doubt that the concept of an 'end of time' will coincide with her return. If you look at Chapter 1 verse 20 it says ' Here is the secret meaning of the seven stars.....' and this secret meaning had to be discovered and revealed which is now happening and it leads straight to Mary of Magdala and that is a fact.

Comment

Originally posted by truthseeker View Post
          Surely the Holy Ghost is part of a trinity that is preChristian in origin with the trident being a common motif. Christianity excluded the Divine Feminine element, the Goddess, which left a large hole in their theology.
          I know such claims have abounded across the internet, especially in pagan circles. But they have no real basis. Christianity didn't "exclude" the divine feminine. To Christian theology, it never really existed. God was treated as genderless in ancient Judaism, but took on a considerably more male gendered tone even before Christianity. Sure, certain heretical sects and Gnostic-influenced groups gave a strong place to feminine forces, but those weren't mainstream Christianity even when it was just a small sect of Hellenized Judaism.
          What you are doing is trying to shoehorn pagan religious concepts into a different religion. It's not only insulting to Christianity, it also makes us pagans look intellectually dishonest, not to mention intolerant of the notion of a religion existing without a feminine divine. It's just as bad as Christians claiming our gods are merely demons.

Comment

Originally posted by Louisvillian View Post
            I know such claims have abounded across the internet, especially in pagan circles. But they have no real basis. Christianity didn't "exclude" the divine feminine. To Christian theology, it never really existed. God was treated as genderless in ancient Judaism, but took on a considerably more male gendered tone even before Christianity. Sure, certain heretical sects and Gnostic-influenced groups gave a strong place to feminine forces, but those weren't mainstream Christianity even when it was just a small sect of Hellenized Judaism.
            What you are doing is trying to shoehorn pagan religious concepts into a different religion. It's not only insulting to Christianity, it also makes us pagans look intellectually dishonest, not to mention intolerant of the notion of a religion existing without a feminine divine. It's just as bad as Christians claiming our gods are merely demons.
            Christianity is supposed to be about the following of Jesus and the closest person to Christ was a woman, Mary of Magdala. She was his companion, confidant and messenger this is well documented. Some say she was even his wife and that he intended her to carry on his mission. But Christianity did not exist at the time of Jesus and the clear indications are that Jesus was a pagan with a high regard for the feminine and little regard for the Jewish authorities which he clearly annoyed with his teachings. There would be nothing therefore inconsistant with anyone with pagan spiritual beliefs having a high regard and interest in the story of Jesus.

Comment

Working...
            X