Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gold poop makes everybody an artist

Originally posted by Moody Thursday View Post
    I think everyone seems to walk on eggshells about what they point out as "not art". I guess they don't want to be offensive, or seem like they're not cultured enough to "get" a specific piece, but I think there really is a limit, and I think there's some stuff we can all point that and say "Ooookay, that's not art!" No degrees required ;-) Of course, some are going to disagree. What bothers me is to see, I dunno a funky fork, being held in such high esteem. It's like a slap in the face to every artist in history.

Little rant story:
    I had a friend in UF some years back that was working really hard on an art project. He was spending all this time working on his piece, and when it came time to grade everything, he came home angry as all hell :-p Turns out, he got an A. But... this girl that just put her period blood between two sheets of glass also got an A. She didn't do anything special with it like shape it or have special glass. Just...period blood between two glass sheets. He was furious, because no matter what statement she wanted to make, it was just simply made. I mean, anyone could do that, it's not extraordinary. It doesn't require any artistic talent if it can be done by anyone.
    This actually is understandable and part of the reason I ever became a music critic. It wasn't to take people down a peg, but to help them actually see their potential and not expect a medal because they picked up a guitar and strummed a few chords. Being an artist of any sort requires lots of work and discipline, and a strong understanding of your tools of the trade in order to effectively use them. No amount of gold poop pills will change that.
    my etsy store
    My blog

"...leave me curled up in my ball,
    surrounded by plush, downy things,
    ill prepared, but willing,
    to descend."

Comment

I've never been afraid to say I didn't "get" something. Whether it's a painting, sculpture, fashion, whatever.....there are some things I just think are ridiculous. Like what Kanye West wore in last night's concert. Or gold poop. What Michelangelo did with marble is like what B.B. King or Eric Clapton do with a guitar. THAT is talent/art.
      sigpic
      Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

As a person who dabbles in multiple medias of art, I really only have one thing to say about this subject. And I really can't be bovvered to be nice about it so ill just let your imagination take over on this.
        �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
        ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
        Sneak Attack
        Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

This pill is for someone who takes their Tywin Lannister cosplay a bit too seriously
          "The fire could not be tamed with the wind,
          nor the wind suppressed by the flames.
          As blending the Light with the Dark
          merely results in Grey." -Ville Friman

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
            Kind of like a college town?

P.S. - New York claims to be the center of the art world. So does Los Angeles. And the French believe they always have been and always will be the absolute center of all art in the entire universe...
            London also claims to be the center. I think they're all centers.

Berlin IS like a giant college town. It's cheap, and attracts a lot of students. It also attracts a lot of artists, musicians, etc, but a lot of "artists" (ie people who call themselves that, but never seem to have a concert or exhibition, or do anything at all aside from party and do drugs). I sometimes call Berlin "Neverland" because it has its share of people who never grow up, because the cost of living means they don't really have to.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by XIII View Post
            This pill is for someone who takes their Tywin Lannister cosplay a bit too seriously
            HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAH

Comment

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
              London also claims to be the center. I think they're all centers.
              I think you are right - generally, a certain type or strain of art comes first from a specific location before spreading out. The places where this most commonly happens then considers themselves to be the "center."

When the Harry Who's were popular, even Chicago was claiming to be the center...

...but a lot of "artists" (ie people who call themselves that, but never seem to have a concert or exhibition, or do anything at all aside from party and do drugs). I sometimes call Berlin "Neverland" because it has its share of people who never grow up, because the cost of living means they don't really have to.
              Yeah - I've noticed that about so-called "artists." Berlin sounds kind of like Ann Arbor, where The University of Michigan (one of the two main colleges in Michigan) is located. It looks like a nice place to live - lots going on - but it really is a never-never land for terminal college students. You have people with PhD's in philosophy making change at McDonalds...
              Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Working...
              X