Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Oh jeez, another school shooting

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
    The Province, BC's newspaper, posted a picture on instagram about this. They posted a pic of a google search for "Canadian mass shootings" and then "American mass shootings" and posted the Google pingback results. America, obviously being much higher than Canada, which was the point of the image.

But I found it in incredibly poor taste.
    I saw someone else saying something along those lines earlier today, which sort of confuses me because, you know... the population of California (the most populated state) alone is more than the entire population of Canada. We've got a lot more people living here, so when you consider that along with the numbers, the results (from what I'm seeing on google, anyway) really don't seem all that shockingly different.

I've been seeing a lot of things like that. Another person saying it's not okay to bring mental illness into it for any reason, because it gives them a pass/excuse... but then they turn around and blame society instead, because violent media and social networking sites cause all this... All the little facebook things I've seen being passed around, they're not even thought out, they don't make sense, it's just become another excuse to bring out the soap box for whatever issue.
    Hearth and Hedge

Comment

I think people switch to standing on soap boxes or following political agendas in tragedies like this, because it's just too wild and horrifying for them to grapple with something like this. Little babies died - 20 innocent children gone. And lots of traumatized little survivors who are asking, "Can we have Christmas?". They're in for a life that will never be the same, most likely plagued with a lifetime of battling psychological scars. And that just too much for some, so it's easy to jump to "who's the blame?" mode or "what is the problem that we need to fix so this never happens again?", trying to grasp some tangible answer to something that we'll never understand the real reason WHY this has happened.

My mother and I didn't know of this story until yesterday, because our internet was out and we missed the shit-storm on Facebook. Or reading the reports on New York Times online. My sister was the one to tell me about it and I relayed it to my mom... she cried. I was sad. But I admit, that in that moment I did wish that all guns were banned like they are in the UK. And it was because I feel so hopeless and so sad that so many children died, who was happy and waiting for Christmas before this, and I just want all the children to be safe. I don't want another child to ever have to be taken away from their family and siblings ever again. And I know, that's an unrealistic want to have in this world... u_u
      But people deal with things like this in different ways, is my point. I can ignore the rants, the political shouting, the overly religious who say "it was God's plan!" (the hell it is, imho), because they're just people trying to self-soothe themselves about something that's so senseless and beyond any reason.
      My everyday wacky blog

Comment

I agree with River. Things like this make us sad, which makes us angry and triggers a need, a normal psychological process that aids our survival 'this went wrong, what would prevent it in future'. That's just what human brains do. So we look for causes, which translates to looking for someone or something, to blame. Those who aren't on their soapboxes, are directing their anger at those who are.. 'I hate the way when something like this happens people get on their soapboxes' is kind of a soapbox itself.. lets let people grieve and cope however works for them, even if that means shouting about how bad guns are, or how society is to blame.

I have nothing to say about th incident. It is too upsetting and I just.. I can't.
        夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
          I agree with River. Things like this make us sad, which makes us angry and triggers a need, a normal psychological process that aids our survival 'this went wrong, what would prevent it in future'. That's just what human brains do. So we look for causes, which translates to looking for someone or something, to blame. Those who aren't on their soapboxes, are directing their anger at those who are.. 'I hate the way when something like this happens people get on their soapboxes' is kind of a soapbox itself.. lets let people grieve and cope however works for them, even if that means shouting about how bad guns are, or how society is to blame.

I have nothing to say about th incident. It is too upsetting and I just.. I can't.
          Aw, Jembru! Hugs! I know how you feel! I cried while writing my response above, it is just too much. u_u
          But I agree and I don't mind that people get on their soap boxes about the people on their soap boxes either. That's my whole point, we're all in shock, rattled to the core, and don't know how to really react to this...
          My everyday wacky blog

Comment

this is what I just wrote on my blog about it...

Like most parents, I was shocked and saddened to hear what happened in Connecticut. My first reaction was to get my kids and squish them until they'd had enough of that and rebelled. My second reaction was to put it away and stop thinking about it--how can any of us even begin to fathom what it would be like to lose a child like this? I've lost a child, and I can't even begin to wrap my head around losing a child like this. ...Finally, after I actually got to squish my kids (because by then, The Hubby and I had gotten to discuss it in the car, and we'd picked up the kids), and I was on the computer, my third reaction was to turn my damn computer off (since we don't have cable, the internet is my news). The only thing that I've read that made any sense (and didn't piss me off) was this:
            Flip on the news and watch how we treat the Batman theater shooter and the Oregon mall shooter like celebrities. Dylan Klebold and Eric Harris are household names, but do you know the name of a single *victim* of Columbine? Disturbed
            people who would otherwise just off themselves in their basements see the news and want to top it by doing something worse, and going out in a memorable way. Why a grade school? Why children? Because he'll be remembered as a horrible monster, instead of a sad nobody.
            CNN's article says that if the body count "holds up", this will rank as the second deadliest shooting behind Virginia Tech, as if statistics somehow make one shooting worse than another. Then they post a video interview of third-graders for all the details of what they saw and heard while the shootings were happening. Fox News has plastered the killer's face on all their reports for hours. Any articles or news stories yet that focus on the victims and ignore the killer's identity? None that I've seen yet. Because they don't sell. So congratulations, sensationalist media, you've just lit the fire for someone to top this and knock off a day care center or a maternity ward next.
            You can help by forgetting you ever read this man's name, and remembering the name of at least one victim. You can help by donating to mental health research instead of pointing to gun control as the problem. You can help by turning off the news."
            Morgan Freeman
            I only have one thing to say about about this incident, beyond remembering these children, their teachers and other school staff whose lives were taken, their families and friends, and their community--I don't care what your religious opinion or your political bent is, your position on the lack of accessible mental health care, or your stance on gun control, etc. Keep it to yourself, your ego has no room in their tragedy. Let them grieve, have some empathy for their families, and grow some compassion in your own life. I get that it is natural to feel anger about something that we fear, and fear something that we have no power over, and to seek to control whatever it is that we can control to cope with events like this. If you need to, be angry tomorrow. Right now, remember these families and go home and play with your children or call your parents, visit with your neighbors and friends...and maybe by reaching out (not just today, but every day), we can bring the world in, and make it something better, gentler.
            I haven't posted it yet, but...its my opinion on the subject, an the only one anyone is going to get. Because otherwise, I will probably start koshing skulls together
            Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
            sigpic

Comment

Riversong, Jembru, others whom it may concern,

Please don't presume that this event's effects on you are universal. I'm not rattled to the core and I'm not sufficiently generous in my opinions of mankind to believe that everyone taking to a soapbox right now is. Maybe some of them are, maybe even a lot but not all.
              life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

It is truly heartbreaking and my thoughts are with everyone who has been affected by this tragedy. I cried as I read through the newspaper articles and I am still crying now at the lose of so many innocent lives.
                http://thefeministpagan.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by Jembru View Post

Agreed. I think the whole "ban guns" thing is out of pure shock. It's not about pushing some sort of liberal agenda....it's about being severely shocked by the incident and trying to stay rational by thinking of how it could be prevented in the future. Sort of like if there were an earthquake with massive damage, people would be calling for stronger buildings right away.

I mean, people are screaming "ban guns" over here, and guns are already more or less banned. They just don't know what else to say or make of it.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post

Please don't presume that this event's effects on you are universal. I'm not rattled to the core and I'm not sufficiently generous in my opinions of mankind to believe that everyone taking to a soapbox right now is. Maybe some of them are, maybe even a lot but not all.
                  That's the thing though...you can't expect the effects on YOU to be universal either. Everyone copes in their own way. Some people need some space and alone time, some people need prayer and social support, some people go into problem solving mode, and some people need to sort of distance themselves and rationalize things. Everyone is different. Rather than being offended by the reactions and coping mechanisms of others, can't we all just realize that we're all in shock and we all feel a bit differently about that?

Comment

I may have been a bit bias in my remark too, being that I just lost my nephew last night to being gunned down and killed in his car. I kid you not, I'm still in shock over it. And I may have been feeling for the family in my own way, as I am feeling for mine at the moment. The "ban guns" thing wasn't just some liberal agenda thing, as I'm agreeing with DaniMarie on this one, but simply out of shock. But also pain, grief, and trying to put some reason to what has happened to those families and the loss of my own nephew. My nephew was not a child, he was age 24, and I can only guess the level of grief and pain of the parents and loved ones of those children. I can't possibly know what it's like to lose a child, no matter what age they are either. I can only guess to what I feel in the moment in relation to losing a loved one to gun violence. Though... I didn't want to add this to the debate... I'm tried and still in shock... and wasn't sure where exactly I could vent this to. u_u
                    My everyday wacky blog

Comment

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
                      Agreed. I think the whole "ban guns" thing is out of pure shock. It's not about pushing some sort of liberal agenda....it's about being severely shocked by the incident and trying to stay rational by thinking of how it could be prevented in the future. Sort of like if there were an earthquake with massive damage, people would be calling for stronger buildings right away.

I mean, people are screaming "ban guns" over here, and guns are already more or less banned. They just don't know what else to say or make of it.

- - - Updated - - -

That's the thing though...you can't expect the effects on YOU to be universal either. Everyone copes in their own way. Some people need some space and alone time, some people need prayer and social support, some people go into problem solving mode, and some people need to sort of distance themselves and rationalize things. Everyone is different. Rather than being offended by the reactions and coping mechanisms of others, can't we all just realize that we're all in shock and we all feel a bit differently about that?
                      I didn't presume that my reactions are universal. If you read the post you quoted, then I explicitly stated that some maybe even many of the people taking to soapboxes are doing so precisely for the reasons suggested by Riversong and Jembru. I'm opposed to the idea that all of them are. Sorry, I'm really not the most heartless being on the planet and if I can take a school shooting in stride then other people can take it in stride and try to use it to their advantage.

Originally posted by RiverSong View Post
                      I may have been a bit bias in my remark too, being that I just lost my nephew last night to being gunned down and killed in his car. I kid you not, I'm still in shock over it. And I may have been feeling for the family in my own way, as I am feeling for mine at the moment. The "ban guns" thing wasn't just some liberal agenda thing, as I'm agreeing with DaniMarie on this one, but simply out of shock. But also pain, grief, and trying to put some reason to what has happened to those families and the loss of my own nephew. My nephew was not a child, he was age 24, and I can only guess the level of grief and pain of the parents and loved ones of those children. I can't possibly know what it's like to lose a child, no matter what age they are either. I can only guess to what I feel in the moment in relation to losing a loved one to gun violence. Though... I didn't want to add this to the debate... I'm tried and still in shock... and wasn't sure where exactly I could vent this to. u_u
                      I don't necessarily have a problem with your logic on this matter in many cases. There will be people reacting roughly the way you expect. That doesn't guarantee I'm going to give them infinite leeway. I don't do that but the theory makes sense as long as it's not applied universally.

I am sorry for your loss. Blessings upon you and your kin in the days ahead.
                      life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Comment

Oh, and I want to make clear that I didn't share to start something either. I just wanted to explain where my mind is at and why I am sufficiently generous towards those on a soap box, because I see that sometimes people can wind up with one, because they've been through a similar situation, can't handle tragedies like this, or for some other personal feelings of "this may happen to my family". I'm sure not ALL the soap box people are like this, but I refuse to believe that most aren't. Grief and death hits everyone differently, is my point. And, I should get some sleep now...
                        My everyday wacky blog

Comment

See, there's my problem. Some of the people I know are truly upset, and that's one thing - but a lot of the people posting these things aren't that upset (people I know and have talked to about this) and they're just using it as an excuse to go on about whatever they're going on about. That bothers me.
                          Hearth and Hedge

Comment

I didn't presume that my reactions are universal. If you read the post you quoted, then I explicitly stated that some maybe even many of the people taking to soapboxes are doing so precisely for the reasons suggested by Riversong and Jembru. I'm opposed to the idea that all of them are. Sorry, I'm really not the most heartless being on the planet and if I can take a school shooting in stride then other people can take it in stride and try to use it to their advantage.

I don't necessarily have a problem with your logic on this matter in many cases. There will be people reacting roughly the way you expect. That doesn't guarantee I'm going to give them infinite leeway. I don't do that but the theory makes sense as long as it's not applied universally.

I am sorry for your loss. Blessings upon you and your kin in the days ahead.
                            And I see what you mean, you have a right to not apply it universally and it's your choice. Like I said, people react differently to these kinds of tradgedies.

Thanks. I'm sure that we'll be okay, we're a strong family. We're just circling the wagons here a bit. :-)
                            My everyday wacky blog

Comment

Didn't think you brought up a personal anecdote for nefarious purposes RiverSong. I'm not quite that cynical.

Regarding the rest of humanity, ermm,

*MaskedOne gags internal cynic, throws it into basement and locks door.*

No comment at this time.

Comment

Didn't think you brought up a personal anecdote for nefarious purposes RiverSong. I'm not quite that cynical.

Regarding the rest of humanity, ermm,

*MaskedOne gags internal cynic, throws it into basement and locks door.*

No comment at this time.
                                Nah!!! I didn't think that you were that much of a cynic, no worries! I know the type well, you don't give off that vibe.
                                No, my other reply was to my own realization that it might sound overly "convenient" that I blurted that out here in the midst of a debate. I'm usually much more poised than this... it's been a really rough day. ;^_^
                                My everyday wacky blog

Comment

Working...
                                X