• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Choosing a pantheon

because my ancestors were gauls

Comment

I've always felt a strong connection with the ancient Sumerians particularly the Babylonians and Assyrians. It all started when I first read the Epic of Gilgamesh, then their creation epic. It got to the point where I was actively researching the various gods in their belief system, and I took a liking all of them- a certain goddess of sex, love and war in particular.

Needless to say, I was delighted to learn that on one side of my family, I have a faint middle-eastern decent.

Comment

To me, the gods are psychological archetypes, so when I discover ones that I connect with, it has more to do with my own psyche than anything else.
        Ever since I was a little girl, I've had this deep fascination with ancient Egypt, so I find a connection with many dieties of that culture, especially Ra, Isis, Osirus, and Horus. Still, I shop around, so to speak :P I live up near Yosemite, and when I am in the woods I feel very spiritually connected, so I find myself drawn to forest dieties from many cultures (the climate of Egypt sort of prevented them from creating any kind of forest pantheon, haha), The Green Man and Oshadagea- an enormous eagle spirit from native american myth- are two particularly prominent ones in my own little world. Early Earth based gods and goddesses are pretty significant to me, so I delve into Wicca in this area, what with the horned God and Moon/Earth Goddess. I've been reading the Popol Vuh, and I find myself very drawn to the magical realist, mystical, cosmic, dream like nature of Mayan myths. I really love how they involved their astronomical understandings, and feel very drawn to their Moon Goddess in particular; she is a very powerful archetype to me. The Hindu gods are important to me in more of a philosophical sense, and to me they are symbolic of certain spiritual, cosmic truths. My view of the cosmos and our role in them tends to fall fairly in line with Eastern mystical philosophies, hence my attraction to Hinduism. Shiva is of particular symbolic interest right now.
        So, in short, I go with whatever feels right XD The gods are a way to better understand myself and connect with the world around me.

- - - Updated - - -

I knew that I had this saved somewhere! This is my favorite depiction of Oshadagea, alongside a poem about him:
        Click image for larger version

Name:	OSHADAGEA.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	351614

Comment

I deal mainly with Greek, Roman and Norse deities, but it also depends on which deity is "speaking" to me at a particular time. At the moment I feel I have been nudged by Persephone, and I'm making an effort to get to know her better and perhaps figure out what she is trying to convey to me.
          I also feel that choosing to stick within a specific pantheon is a very personal choice but it must be done with respect and research. I've met some people who seem to think they can just "swap" deities from various pantheons, i.e. Aphrodite=Venus=Freya=Ishtar=Astarte=Bastet... though they had similar places in their pantheons have all got different backgrounds, myths and methods of worship.
          sigpic

Comment

There wasn't really much of an active decision making process for me. While I love mythology from all around the world, there's something about the celtic mythos and pantheons which just clicked with me from a young age. Never been able to put my finger on it, it was just a 'yep, this is me, right here' kinda thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Oden_son View Post
              because my ancestors were gauls
              Does that automaticly means that you don't like Romans?
              I mean, part of my ancestors were Spanish, but yet I'm drawn into Aztec dieties... Well, but that's just me. And I'm a little wierd at that point :P
              ~ flowers are our only garments
              only songs make our pain subside ~

Comment

Originally posted by Sarkana night View Post
                Does that automaticly means that you don't like Romans?
                I mean, part of my ancestors were Spanish, but yet I'm drawn into Aztec dieties... Well, but that's just me. And I'm a little wierd at that point :P
                I sometimes wonder about that, to what extent are people drawn to their ancestors mythologies because of an active desire to explore their history, and to what extent (if any) is there some natural affinity or compatibility at work? Which I guess ties into the greater nature v. nurture argument.

Comment

Originally posted by Aeran View Post
                  I sometimes wonder about that, to what extent are people drawn to their ancestors mythologies because of an active desire to explore their history, and to what extent (if any) is there some natural affinity or compatibility at work? Which I guess ties into the greater nature v. nurture argument.
                  I am completely and utterly uninterested in the Germanic and Celtic deities...despite that being the bulk of my heritage. I mostly work with Greek deities, and I'm not Greek.
                  Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                  sigpic

Comment

Yeah it's obviously not a direct correlation, but if I had to guess I'd imagine that statistically, people lean towards mythologies they descent from, either genetically or culturally.

Comment

I have too many backgrounds myself for this to be too big an issue. When I was young I would ask, and the responses I got from my mother ranged from, English, German, Irish, Scottish, and Native american. None of these are even remotely confirmable however, as I cannot trace any part of my non-adoptive family outside of the US... Maybe thats why I am so drawn to bits of so many pantheons? Ah well, I have stopped looking for a reason. I have decided that it is what it is...
                      http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
                      ~Jim Butcher

Comment

I've never actually chosen a pantheon - I generally let the pantheon chose me...

I work freelance. If a deity wants something from me, he/she/it will tap me for it.
                        Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

I do not have a Pantheon, or any particular deity that I work with. I honor and respect all Celtic Gods and Goddesses by reading, and learning their stories. There are some I feel more contacted to than others, but from day one I have known that the Celtic Gods and Goddesses was where my loyalty's lied.
                          When life hands you lemons make lemonade and find someone else who life handed them vodka and have a party.

Comment

I do not have a real Pantheon either but i'm more interested in african deities. Usually, they are less known, wilder and i can easily link myself to them despite my origins.

it's funny to notice how many of us are more connected to deities that are not from our main culture.

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                              I am completely and utterly uninterested in the Germanic and Celtic deities...despite that being the bulk of my heritage. I mostly work with Greek deities, and I'm not Greek.
                              I'm interested in Celtic fairy tales. Things to tell my children in years to come. Otherwise, the only pantheon's that have ever interested me are Roman, Greek, Hindu.

I'm not a Roman, a Greek, or Hindu.

Mostly art.

Comment

Originally posted by Aeran View Post
                                Yeah it's obviously not a direct correlation, but if I had to guess I'd imagine that statistically, people lean towards mythologies they descent from, either genetically or culturally.
                                Based on the people I know, IRL...I really think its probably about 50/50.

Not everyone cares about their genetic or ancestral cultural heritage.

I think it comes down to what B said:

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                                I've never actually chosen a pantheon - I generally let the pantheon chose me...

I work freelance. If a deity wants something from me, he/she/it will tap me for it.
                                ...though, I think people have leanings, which may or may not sway how open they are to whomever does that tapping.
                                Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X