Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what you doing for Holidays (Yule, Christmas etc)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: what you doing for Holidays (Yule, Christmas etc)

I just wanted to pop back in & say I'm happy for those of you who are going to be having a good time, whatever it is you're doing

Originally posted by Tylluan Penry View Post
    Whatever Mr Penry does, you can be sure his celebrations will include a bonfire....
    I don't know why, but that particular activity made me immediately think of Beavis (for those not in the know, he's a cartoon character from the golden age of MTV).

Click image for larger version

Name:	846000.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	351594
    The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Originally posted by perzephone View Post
      I don't know why, but that particular activity made me immediately think of Beavis (for those not in the know, he's a cartoon character from the golden age of MTV).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1329[/ATTACH]
      FIRE FIRE FIRRRRRRRE!!! heh heh m heh yeah, fire is cool.
      Children love and want to be loved and they very much prefer the joy of accomplishment to the triumph of hateful failure. Do not mistake a child for his symptom.
      -Erik Erikson

Comment

I don't have anything big planned for the solstice itself. Probably just keep an electric candle going on the altar through the longest night, and get up to see the sunrise the next day.

Going down to my grandparents house the day after that, where it's going to be a whole lot of baking... I think I'm making six kinds of cookies, two cakes, and a pie. I have to make a boat-load of almond cookies because everyone wants to take a bunch home, but I like to do other kinds, too. Also going to cut some some evergreen branches, and make pomanders on Christmas eve. I don't bake mine, just take a little bit of the peel off to make designs, and stud with cloves, and then put them into the evergreens in a bowl. Don't know if the siblings will be around that night, but we usually bake some sugar cookies to decorate if they are. Christmas day is the big dinner, bunch of family comes over for ham and all that, gifts, all the usual stuff.

Then new year's eve is lots of junk food and the NHK new year's special. Traditionally that night I burn a real bayberry candlestick all the way down for luck, prosperity, health, for the family. New year's day is a big one for my family, too, my grandmother and I cook up a bunch of traditional Japanese food and we have another big dinner. Bigger than Christmas usually, more people tend to show up because unlike Christmas day, there's not usually anyone else doing any thing.
        Hearth and Hedge

Comment

Comment

I'm new to this whole thing, so I didn't even know about Solstice when it was happening, much less celebrate it. I sort of feel like I missed out, haha. Oh well, next year, I suppose, and Yule ain't over yet XD My parents are deeply Christian (My Father is a priest, for Christ's sake), but they seem to have come to peace with the fact that my brother and I are no longer a part of their religion. They didn't even try to pressure us into coming to any of the Nativity services this year, which was a relief. But, I am partaking in the more secular part of our celebration; the extended family is coming over tomorrow and we're going to open presents and eat pizza... I don't know why pizza, exactly, but hey, I'm not complaining.

Comment

This is a really interesting thread!

My Solstice is a reflective time, not the festive Yule of some traditions. I put the altar up a few weeks ago and have spent many evenings and early early mornings in the quiet beauty of it, sometimes with just the candles lit, and sometimes with the fairy lights glowing.

I spent lots of time spiritually preparing this year, doing reflective questions etc, and seeking out new rituals. Many years in the past I had a gathering at my house, a prepared meditation, a simple meal of soup and bread, making of lanterns, bonfire, some singing and story telling. But this year it's me alone.

My boyfriend is cross country (we spent Solstice together last year, doing our meditation and ritual by candle light in the snow), this year I am alone.

The highpoint/focus of Solstice for me, is to make an intentional and spiritual committment to take another trip around the Sun. This means I am signing on not just to ride, but to be aware, participate, and accept whatever comes along. Stay engaged, be willing. I seal the deal by sipping...usually wassail, but I've gotten clean and sober so this year I tried out a new drink...milk with honey, orange peel and saffron. YUM!

On the day of Solstice, between candlelit quiet, I went to browse boutiques and galleries of some mountain towns and ended the afternoon snuggling baby bunnies in a pet store.

Winter Solstice is one of my major holy days each year. I also began, after seeing this idea posted on Facebook, a jar where each day I write down something that happened that day (something good is the suggestion) and put it in the jar, then at the end of the year read them all.

Funny, after Solstice I felt more Christmassy. I don't do much for Christmas, but I'm not a scrooge either. No tree, but of course the house is decorated for Solstice, and a friend made a beautiful wreath for me and I hang the Christmas cards I receive.

On CHristmas eve eve, I made a traditional Christmas eve Polish dinner, because that is what I grew up with. I was alone this year, but it was still awesome. On Christmas eve I went to dinner at a friends. Today, Christmas, I will spend in my jammies watching holiday movies and eating chocolate.

If the Sun comes out (it's been rainy) I'll probably go to the cemetery for a walk and to visit the grave of a dear friend. I bought myself a little panetone and great cheese for a meal later.

Christmas is a bit bitter sweet for me, I suppose this entire holiday season is.

My divorce is final after two and a half years of it dragging along. I didn't have any of my kids etc to share the decorations/rituals with. My ex has a girlfriend who will be opening stockings with my family/grandson. Enjoying what used to be my decorations, ornaments, and cooking with my cooking utensils, some brought forward from my own childhood.

I didn't bake this year. That felt funny, but there was no one to cook or bake for. I don't have to rush about visiting families or fufliling obligations, which is awesome.

It's been a really good holiday season.

Comment

Working...
              X