• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anglish

How very fascinating.

It even has its own wiki.

Here's the entry for the country of the United States:

The Banded Folkdoms of Americksland (BFA) is the most indwelt land in the landstretch of North Americksland. The land's upmake is that of an evenly banded rike, with three branches of rike: the Leaderly, Lawmootly, and Rightready branches. The land's foremost tongue is English, though some Spanish is spoken there also.

Americksland, the land's shortened name, has the greatest landgeld and warband in the world, and is thought to be the world's lone overrike, since the fall of the Band of Workermootly Kithish Commonwealths (BWKC).

Americksland was banded with England until the Americkish Uprising, which began with the Saying Forth of the Selfhood of the Banded Folkdoms of Americksland in 1776. Americksland has since fought other wars, namely: the War of 1812, its war with Mexico, the Americkish Kith War, its war with Spain, and the two World Wars.
    There once was a man who said though,
    It seems that I know that I know,
    What I'd like to see,
    Is the I that knows me,
    When I know that I know that I know.

Re: Anglish

Hmm,

"The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and riffle their pockets for new vocabulary."

sums up my opinion on the purity of the English language as in normal use. Regarding what the hypothetical construction of a purer English, not seeing a need right now. Purity in language isn't useful to me unless it has a direct positive influence on communication.
    Life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Re: Anglish

I havent read the links, however im gathering from what MaskedOne has said its about preserving the "purity" of the English Language.

IMO theres too many variations of the English language to preseve, not only do you have the British, American and Australian English (im sure there are plenty more but im tired and those are the main ones i can think of) which vary LOADS in terms of words that are used, you also have regional variations, and slang words that have become common use.

And again like MaskedOne said, the English language steals from other languages, there technically isnt such thing as pure English because of all the vocabulary we have that's originated from France or Germany or India etc.

I'm firmly of the belief that change governs language, without change the English language wouldn't be able to grow.

Comment

Working...
      X