Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Goodbye, Pope Palpatine...

Originally posted by Raphaeline View Post
    The Pope does not involve my life in any way and therefore I have no feelings.
    I admit, though, that I didn't realize it was an option. I suppose if I'd stopped to think about it, it wouldn't seem to strange, but who the hell QUITS being Pope? Who is just DONE like that? Isn't the point of being Pope... like, a huge deal?

*wanders off, confused*
    Yeah, this is kind of true for me too. The only effect it has on my life is that I really enjoy making the Pope Palpatine references. How will I mix Star Wars and religion now? HOW?

Apparently in parts of Germany (not here), it's bad news to make fun of the pope. Glad I don't live there...

On a side note, if you speak German, this is funny: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDiBKBk_UXo

Comment

Originally posted by Raphaeline View Post
      The Pope does not involve my life in any way and therefore I have no feelings.
      I admit, though, that I didn't realize it was an option. I suppose if I'd stopped to think about it, it wouldn't seem to strange, but who the hell QUITS being Pope? Who is just DONE like that? Isn't the point of being Pope... like, a huge deal?

*wanders off, confused*
      This pretty much sums up how I feel about it to. My first comment when I heard the news was 'I didn't even realise the pope could resign?!'

Obviously there is precedent for it but 600 years is a pretty big gap even within a religion as old as Catholicism, which suggests, at least to me, that there has to be more to it than is being discussed.
      http://thefeministpagan.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

If it's true that he's in ill health, etc., I think it's a good idea to resign. 600 years ago, the Pope wasn't expected to jet around the world and do the things they're required to do today. I've often wondered what would have happened if President Reagan had suffered a fast drop into Alzheimers while holding office? (I digress, but there is a similarity as both offices are world powers.) There'd likely have been one conspiracy theory after another. Pope JP II wasn't capable of running an empire towards the end of his life. Let them go with some dignity. In other areas of work, people are expected to, if nor forced to, retire at certain ages - but not the leaders of the world!
        That having been said, I personally believe there's a LOT more to it than his health. Time will tell - let's see who gets elected. Interesting times we live in....
        sigpic
        Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

In Reagan's case, the 25th Amendment could have been invoked by the Vice President and Cabinet in such a scenario and power would transfer.

In say, Teddy Roosevelt's case....
          Constitutional cluster-frak with a side order of insanity.

The Constitution has had a line from the beginning saying that power goes to the Vice-Pres in event of death, resignation, impeachment or disability. The problem is that people forgot to put the precise method of determining disability and removing power due to it. The 25th Amendment solved that issue in 1967.
          life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

From what I understand, before he was even considered to be the next pope, he had promoted the idea that a pope should resign rather than rule in ill health or poor mental state, etc. But I can't find it anymore, since Google is taken up by the news stuff.
            Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
              In Reagan's case, the 25th Amendment could have been invoked by the Vice President and Cabinet in such a scenario and power would transfer.

In say, Teddy Roosevelt's case....
              Constitutional cluster-frak with a side order of insanity.

The Constitution has had a line from the beginning saying that power goes to the Vice-Pres in event of death, resignation, impeachment or disability. The problem is that people forgot to put the precise method of determining disability and removing power due to it. The 25th Amendment solved that issue in 1967.
              By law, and in theory. My faith in due process and real justice remains low. Hopefully that power of removing a sitting Pres. won't ever be tested, or abused! But, as far as the Pope's concerned, we'll see what happens over the next few months. I think it will be interesting!
              sigpic

Comment

Well, there are a handful of disturbing pieces of fiction about using the 25th for causes never intended but trying it without just cause isn't something that should be pulled unless one just needs to control things for a few days. The President can contest the issue and Congress can overturn the decision. Barring cataclysm, they're supposed to handle such conflicts pretty quickly.
                life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

My money's still on it being tied to the sexual abuse crises. That shit just keeps getting bigger every year...so much covered up in so many major diocese.

Wondering when the investigations will spread to other ultra-conservative groups secretive about their finances and power structure.
                  Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

my bet is that he heard that they were casting for the new Star Wars movie.
                    "Don't ever miss a good opportunity to shut up." - Harvey Davis "Gramps"

Comment

I believe the health thing...I just think that its happening now to get someone like him into play for longer than he could have held out.
                      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                        I believe the health thing...I just think that its happening now to get someone like him into play for longer than he could have held out.
                        I'm with you, here. I really, highly, doubt that it has anything to do with any of the various controversies.

I think I might start updating my resume, though.

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
                          Well, there are a handful of disturbing pieces of fiction about using the 25th for causes never intended but trying it without just cause isn't something that should be pulled unless one just needs to control things for a few days. The President can contest the issue and Congress can overturn the decision. Barring cataclysm, they're supposed to handle such conflicts pretty quickly.
                          Star trek (original series) "Patterns Of Force". Gene hit the nail on the head once again. This is what I'm talkin' about. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pattern..._(TOS_episode)
                          sigpic

Comment

"It seems that with his resignation announced, the Pope, whose given name is Joseph Ratzinger, has a meeting with the Italian President, Giorgio Napolitano on February 23 to beg for immunity against prosecution for allegations of child sex crimes. Apparently, this hastily arranged meeting, and likely the resignation as well, are the result of a supposed note received by the Vatican from an undisclosed European government that stated that there are plans to issue a warrant for the Pope’s arrest. This letter was allegedly received on February 4, and Ratzinger resigned a week later. Now, there’s no way people can ignore how fishy this is. "

Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

Originally posted by Dez View Post
                              "It seems that with his resignation announced, the Pope, whose given name is Joseph Ratzinger, has a meeting with the Italian President, Giorgio Napolitano on February 23 to beg for immunity against prosecution for allegations of child sex crimes. Apparently, this hastily arranged meeting, and likely the resignation as well, are the result of a supposed note received by the Vatican from an undisclosed European government that stated that there are plans to issue a warrant for the Pope’s arrest. This letter was allegedly received on February 4, and Ratzinger resigned a week later. Now, there’s no way people can ignore how fishy this is. "

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2013/02...ore-resigning/
                              Catholic priests and children. What's up with that, anyhow?

Mostly art.

Comment

Forgive my ignorance... how does the Head of State (which the Pope is, until the end of the month) of a sovereign nation (which Vatican City is), beg the Head of State, of ANOTHER nation, for immunity and protection? Why not give it to himself? (especially if he truly is God's emissary)

Something about that article seems a little off, to me.

I don't know if it is true, but, it feels a little "conspiracy theory-y" to me.

If all of this is true, it seems that it would behove the Pope to maintain his position as Grand Poobah of Vatican City, rather than risking the head of another country denying his protection. Whatever "anonymous European government", the article speaks of, that is threatening to put out a warrant of arrest, will only be given easier access to Mr. Ratzinger as a German citizen, than they would have as the dictator of Vatican City.

As Joseph Ratzinger, the police show up at his door, knock, present warrant and take him into custody. As Pope Benedict XVI, they must invade a sovereign state and commit, essentially, an act of war.

Again, I'm not saying that the claim of the article is not true. What I am saying is, if the article IS true, Pope Palpatine's actions make no sense... but, then, since when did the Catholic Church make sense?

Comment

Working...
                                X