Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Convenstead territorial pissings; or a funny way of seeing things.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Convenstead territorial pissings; or a funny way of seeing things.

Hello again, friends.
    Today, I was invited by meetup to attend an Ostara ritual being held at what they called on their meetup page their "Covenstead." That being the case, my house lies well within their league radius (3 miles). I almost instantly found myself feeling very territorial. Normally, I can be a fairly aggressive person, but I genuinely have no idea where this is coming from. i don't even know these people, or the coven that calls that place their 'stead, all I know is I suddenly feel very off being within their "boundary lines".

Re: Convenstead territorial pissings; or a funny way of seeing things.

Maybe you should ask them to describe what "covenstead" means.

Comment

Originally posted by Ljubezen View Post
      Maybe you should ask them to describe what "covenstead" means.
      I actually did that. Waiting for their response.

Comment

Well be sure to post their response! I'm curious now too how that would work.

Comment

Well, I'm wondering too because I plan on doing a Hunt in an area certainly within the traditional covenstead boundary lines.

Comment

See it sounds (on the most superficial level) as if they've somehow claimed an entire region for only their workings. Which is... legally and realistically impossible, so I don't think that's the definition they're utilizing (I hope not anyway).

It could be that they only do anything within that region so members know what kind of traveling circumstances they're looking at if they become involved, which seems like the more logical definition.

Or I could be missing it entirely. I have to admit that my cold and the dayquil overdose isn't doing my cognitive functioning much good today. ^^

Comment

Well, I hope they're not using that definition either. I still haven't received a response but I posted to their forums about it so it might be a while. If they've claimed this area for their use only, I don't mean to sond mean but they may have a bit of a problem on their hands. I do not believe anyone has hunted the park I will be this year, either.

It looked, from pictures, as though they do most everything at their house, or a camping sight up in the mountains.

Comment

I would think they simply mean that that area is where they do their events and practices; not meaning they actually own the right to what happens in that area.

Comment

Originally posted by WinterTraditions View Post
                  I would think they simply mean that that area is where they do their events and practices; not meaning they actually own the right to what happens in that area.
                  I would be inclined to assume the same. A covenstead is generally just the place a coven most often meets, they don't necessarily own rights to that area.
                  http://thefeministpagan.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Like I said, legally and realistically impossible. :P

Comment

It may be! I'm trying not to assume the worst, even though the whole thing has put me in an off state of mind when I think about it. I don't know why that is, the whole thing is making me feel a little.. stifled. Smothered, even. Like rubbing a brillo pad against my psyche and I don't know why.

Comment

They may have just worded it in a less-than-representative way. That's my guess. Online communication can be a mite fuzzy.

Comment

No doubt, Ljubezen. That's why I'm trying to make sure before I express any of these negative feelings. I may not even express them in any overt way. Like I said before, it's just this.. weird feeling about them and living so near to them, or the idea that they're claiming where I live as their covenstead.

But that's getting ahead of myself.

Comment

It's worth remembering that people can claim whatever they like, but that doesn't make it true. And you don't have to accept their claims either. As others have mentioned, it may just be poor communication on their part, but if it makes you feel uneasy then it's certainly worth checking out exactly what they had in mind.
                            www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

I wouldn't worry about it myself. A covenstead is just an area that is used as permanent ritual space. Perhaps they have a number of locations in that area. Or perhaps they use that general area as their landbase (just like my personal landbase is about 5 city blocks long of beachfront). Either way, in all likeliness, its no biggie or bearing for you.
                              Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X