X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Why Spirits/Gods Speak Our Native Tongue: A Theory,

Here's another thought-
    Concepts= memes
    not in the meaning that grumpy cat is a universal message, but memes as way to describe a concept without using words, that unified group of people that don't speak the same language.
    Maybe men started communicate by concepts between themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by WinterTraditions View Post
      The energies of the universe will match up their message with images within your memory that match what the deities want to bring across.
      I agree with everything you've said though I would change this sentence just a bit. I think its the physical make up of our own mind that matches up the message with our memories and not the energies of the universe (the energies of the universe are the message.)

I'm so glad that everyone here seems to be on pretty much the same page and that my theory seems to have merit, at least as far as agreeing numbers can give a theory merit.
      I'd rather be a could-be if I cannot be an are;
      because a could-be is a maybe who is reaching for a star.
      I'd rather be a has-been than a might-have-been, by far;
      for a might have-been has never been,
      but a has was once an are.

-Milton Berle-

Comment

I'm simple-minded about it.

The Gods speak to us in language we can understand because They can. They are Gods, after all.

I once had an interesting experience while acting as High Priestess in a Norse-centric Wiccan circle. Frigga incompletely possessed me. I walked around & said something to everyone in the circle in another language - it had a German feel to it but I don't honestly know if it was German, Icelandic, Norwegian, Swedish... one guy in the circle could speak German & he said he could make out some of the words (like 'mutter' - mother), but not all of it. The only words in German I can understand are the numbers 1 - 10 and various foods, so I have no idea what the heck I told anyone. I assume it was words of blessing, but that's me putting context on a confusing moment in time. In my interactions with Hades and Persephone, it seemed like Persephone was more likely to speak 'modernized' but formal English, while Hades was extremely formal & seemed to have no indication that ancient Greece was ancient history. I always just chalked it up to Persephone getting out more.
        The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

I figured a while ago that the gods and spirits are filtered through our perceptions--and in some ways they play off our existing preconceptions to make communication faster. For example, a person might have a specific image of Athena in mind; so when Athena contacts that person, she might display herself in that person's pre-existing image of Athena.

It also explains, I think, the differences between the gods as we experience them, and the gods as depicted by ancient societies. Those societies had their own social constructions, their own institutions. The gods were filtered through their lenses and depicted in ways that fit to those cultural concepts. For example, Zeus has associations with kingship and patriarchy due to Ancient Greek society being culturally patriarchal, not necessarily due to him being an ultra-macho paragon of male dominion.

Comment

Originally posted by Louisvillian View Post
            I figured a while ago that the gods and spirits are filtered through our perceptions--and in some ways they play off our existing preconceptions to make communication faster. For example, a person might have a specific image of Athena in mind; so when Athena contacts that person, she might display herself in that person's pre-existing image of Athena.

It also explains, I think, the differences between the gods as we experience them, and the gods as depicted by ancient societies. Those societies had their own social constructions, their own institutions. The gods were filtered through their lenses and depicted in ways that fit to those cultural concepts. For example, Zeus has associations with kingship and patriarchy due to Ancient Greek society being culturally patriarchal, not necessarily due to him being an ultra-macho paragon of male dominion.
            I have thought this as well and agree 100% you word it quite well.
            I'd rather be a could-be if I cannot be an are;
            because a could-be is a maybe who is reaching for a star.
            I'd rather be a has-been than a might-have-been, by far;
            for a might have-been has never been,
            but a has was once an are.

-Milton Berle-

Comment

Working...
            X