Aesop's Fables

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aesop's Fables

So early this morning when I was rudely awoken by my mother's tantrum, I'm not sure how exactly it came to happen but the phrase Aesop's Fable came into my head. Now this happens every so often phrases pop into my mind and I've got no idea what they mean and I'll look them up. Most of the time I get gibberish but Aesop's Fables are apparently a real collection of stories written by a greek slave. Now before googling I had no idea who Aesop was or that he wrote fables. I am curious to know why the universe/deity/aliens decided to put dear old Aesop into my head. I was wondering if anyone else had any thoughts or experiences similar to this or any idea why someone wants me to read fairy tales?

Since it said "fable" as in singular I'm concerned as to which one since theres like 700 of them.
    They moaned and squealed, and pressed their snouts to the earth. We are sorry, we are sorry.
    Sorry you were caught, I said. Sorry that you thought I was weak, but you were wrong.
    -Madeline Miller, Circe

Re: Aesop's Fables

I love Aesop's fables!

Can you tell us a little of what you're going through right now? That will help me get an idea which fables might apply.

Given it happened during your mother's tirade, I wonder if it's not the ones about "the nature of the beast".

There's one where a scorpion is trying to cross a river. A turtle comes along he he's about to swim across. The scorpion begs for a ride, the turtle (being halfway intelligent) refuses, stating that the scorpion will just sting him and kill him. The scorpion begs and wheedles and promises. The turtle (being only HALFway intelligent), finally agrees. Halfway across, sure enough, the scorpion stings him. The turtle cries out to him and says, "why did you do that? now we'll both die!" The scorpion's answer? "I couldn't help myself, it's my nature."

Then there's another along the same lines... where it's a farmer who finds a viper dying in a field. He takes it to his bosom and warms it. The viper bites him and the farmer says, "why would you DO that??" and the viper says, "I couldn't help myself, it's my nature."

The warning is, of course, obvious. You don't trust a scorpion or a viper (not even of the human variety). But there's another lesson there, which is that sometimes our parents do stupid s*** just because of human nature. It's not that they're necessarily vipers or scorpions, it's just that.. sometimes it's human nature to screw the pooch in some things.

Comment

My dad tells that scorpion story all the time... it's like his personal motto. My life at the moment is annoying to say the last. My mother is irrational as always, entire family (including me) is sick and I'm having relationship and school problems.
      They moaned and squealed, and pressed their snouts to the earth. We are sorry, we are sorry.
      Sorry you were caught, I said. Sorry that you thought I was weak, but you were wrong.
      -Madeline Miller, Circe

Comment

These may help explain some of the behaviors in the people around you:

You probably know a dancing monkey: http://www.aesopfables.com/cgi/aesop...DancingMonkeys

You may also know a dog in the manger: http://www.aesopfables.com/cgi/aesop...DogintheManger

Sometimes it's best to keep your thoughts to yourself, for in the right hands, knowledge of who and what you are can become a weapon: http://www.aesopfables.com/cgi/aesop...gleandtheArrow

Courtesy only goes as far as the other allows. If they won't allow you to be courteous, you may need to take stronger measures: http://www.aesopfables.com/cgi/aesop...erandtheCranes

Remember that, while you live in another person's home, you must (for the time), do as they bid you (and this, too, shall pass): http://www.aesopfables.com/cgi/aesop...r&&fisher2.ram

Sometimes accusations come from the accuser's nature, not from your own: http://www.aesopfables.com/cgi/aesop...xandtheBramble

Sour grapes... for people, hating what they can't have feels better than wanting it: http://www.aesopfables.com/cgi/aesop...oxandtheGrapes

Here's the master list. It would be fun for you to just read through. Aesop's fables are all quite short and sweet, so it's not like you'll be reading a huge novel each time. They're almost like haikus, lol. Very short and fast.

This Collection of Aesop's Fables is the largest online exhibit of Aesop and other Fables, on the net. There are 656+ fables, indexed with Morals, Fairy Tales, Mythology, Stories, Real Audio, Images, Search engine, Message Forum, and more being added all the time.

Comment

Those work well for my situations. I found that website when I googled Aesop's fable. Thankyou for that. I'll attempt to read through them.
          -Madeline Miller, Circe

Comment

Just a Note: Aesop's Fables are more than a simple collection of children's stories. Each of them had a very specific moral that would exploit a certain characteristic of human nature. They were more like parables, really, since consequence is always a lingering foreshadow.

I am not trying to be rude here, but I AM trying to give my honest opinion so: you sound awfully irritated at your parents. From 'rudely awakened' to top it off down to 'irrational as always,' you have some bitterness and anger that needs direction. Perhaps YOU are the sour grapes, never wanting to pretend like you want her approval since she always withholds it, whatever. You're tired of doing that stupid fucking dance to get those grapes and so instead you sulk. Again, I'm not trying to attack but to tell you what popped out to me as I read this thread. You probably have every right to be upset, but remember that without a calm head, you'll just wind up making yourself look like a jerk. Then you martyr the exact people you want to oust!

Anyway, I'll stop now because I really hope I have not spoken out of place. Just food for thought.
            No one tells the wind which way to blow.

Comment

You would be surprised how many sayings are morals from Aesop.

Comment

Originally posted by Bjorn View Post
                < snip >
                I pretty much agree with you and acknowledge it but regardless it is not appropriate for a 40 something year old woman to act like a five year old and throw a tantrum, something she frequently does. Personally I feel I have a right to be irritated and you're right I am tired of doing that stupid little dance because I've tried being calm and in all honesty getting pissed works so much easier in my house. I reference the story with the cranes SPhoenix was so nice to link to above. I respect your opinion Bjorn and I think that about me you're entirely correct. It probably is a problem for me in the long run but I shouldn't have to babysit the person that's supposed to be helping to provide for me.
                -Madeline Miller, Circe

Comment

Originally posted by Corvus View Post
                  I pretty much agree with you and acknowledge it but regardless it is not appropriate for a 40 something year old woman to act like a five year old and throw a tantrum, something she frequently does. Personally I feel I have a right to be irritated and you're right I am tired of doing that stupid little dance because I've tried being calm and in all honesty getting pissed works so much easier in my house. I reference the story with the cranes SPhoenix was so nice to link to above. I respect your opinion Bjorn and I think that about me you're entirely correct. It probably is a problem for me in the long run but I shouldn't have to babysit the person that's supposed to be helping to provide for me.
                  Something to consider... is it possible that she has some imbalances in her hormones? Estrogen overload has become an extremely common problem for women, as well as calcium deficiency (which can cause early onset menopause symptoms).

Also, perhaps she has experienced something horrific in her childhood that she hasn't been able to deal with.

I'm not saying these things to excuse her, simply saying them because it might help you to forgive her--for your own sake and sanity.

Sometimes even adults can find it difficult, if not impossible, to overcome their pasts. Maybe she is still haunted by, or hurt by something. That doesn't make it okay, nothing does. But at least if you know that she suffering and struggling, it can be easier to forgive. When you can forgive the other person, you will find yourself happier and at greater peace--even if she keeps on being an (insert bad word here).

Forgiveness is for your own sake, not hers. Remember that.

Comment

Working...
                  X