How do you feel about your name?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How do you feel about your name?

I like mine, but it's not particularly original. I tend to go by "Danie" rather than "Danielle." Oddly, the people closest to me (my parents and boyfriend) call me "Danielle" still. Its meaning doesn't really do much for me (God is my judge), but that's not why my parents named me that.

My name isn't common over here. My boyfriend told me that French names ending in "elle" are kind of like stripper names, sort of like being called Candi or Bambi in North America. That made me laugh.

Comment

I live in Be'er Sheva. My name is Gleb and it means- "the God's favourite" or "the one who is protected by God". I love my name and the ability it has given to me.
      Remember- you are unique! Just like everyone in this forum.
      "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

My name means bright fame. I like it.
        Overt optimism and overt cynicism are both equally horrendous to my senses. Having a perfectly balanced view of the world only slightly less so. By goddess have an opinion, but kindly avoid blaring it like a wide-eyed idealist or a suicidal Goth.

Comment

My name is Julia and it means, 'youthful.' but I prefer my middle name, Lindsay. I have never liked my first name. I tried to change my name to Lindsay recently but it became confusing because all my old friends called me Julia and my new friends called me Lindsay. Neither understood who was who and I just gave up. I actually prefer bluewind! So that is who I am here. A place I can be myself.

Comment

The roots of my name, Bojan, are in the Old Slavic word boi, which means war, battle,
            so it makes me extremly proud to have a name like that today, when I am an 29-year
            old adult male, but I did not like my name too much when I was a kid and teenager; I
            thought of it as uncool name (and then I discovered its meaning, three or four years
            ago...)

Comment

My name is Sophia Renee, which means "wisdom reborn". I like it quite a lot, but I didn't used to. I felt like it was boring, and too common, but when I really started to appreciate the meaning I was more okay with it.
              However, I prefer to go by "Po" instead, which comes from the nickname "Poshi" (pronounced po-shee), which comes from my dyslexic friend switching the P and the S in "Sophi", which is yet another nickname. Did that make sense? Who knows...

Comment

Originally posted by Heka View Post
                Same here! I still have the only 4 things we ever found as a kid with my name on it. But my brother has more trouble - His name is Torsten! haha
                Try being named 'Rhonda' in Australia.

Yep.

Comment

Same here! I still have the only 4 things we ever found as a kid with my name on it. But my brother has more trouble - His name is Torsten! haha
                  Okay what's weird about Torsten? It's a very common name where I am from. I've had three teachers and two friends by that name.

Oh and Rae'ya, what does Rhoda mean in Australian English? Or is it merely an uncommon name?
                  Warning: The above post may contain traces of sarcasm.

An apostrophe is the difference between a business that knows its shit, and a business that knows it's shit.

"Why is every object we don't understand always called a thing?" (McCoy. Star Trek: The Moive Picture)

Comment

Originally posted by Rae'ya View Post
                    Try being named 'Rhonda' in Australia.

Yep.
                    I'm a 'Sasha' in Australia. And let's push that out to REMOTE Australia

Haha thinking of Rhonda AAMI adds :P

Originally posted by MoonRaven View Post
                    Okay what's weird about Torsten? It's a very common name where I am from. I've had three teachers and two friends by that name.

Oh and Rae'ya, what does Rhoda mean in Australian English? Or is it merely an uncommon name?
                    Where are you from? What's weird about Torsten is that we live in remote South Australia. Ain't no scandinavians out here. He's never met another. When my granddad (also named Torsten) moved to Australia (to Sydney, mind you) all his mates changed his name to Jim, because Torsten was too strange.
                    ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
                    Seen the desert and the birds
                    You cut your hair short
                    Like a shush to an insult
                    The world had been yelling
                    Since the day you were born
                    Revolting with anger
                    While it smiled like it was cute
                    That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Originally posted by MoonRaven View Post

Rhonda is a very uncommon and old fashioned name in Australia, and no one seems to grasp the concept that there is an 'h' in there. lol.

But what makes it one of 'those' unfortunate names is the Beach Boys song, plus the fact that there is a series of adds in Australia by a car insurance company that ran lately featuring a Rhonda. Google 'Rhonda AAMI ad' and Youtube has them up (there are three or four of them). They have spawned several catch phrases that people throw at me constantly, which wont make any sense if you haven't seen the ads. Of course, everyone who makes a comment always thinks that they are so original and hilarious lol.

Also, there is NOTHING in Australia that has my name printed on it... you know those cups and pens and things that have names printed on them that you get in silly gift stores? I have never in my 27 years seen one with 'Rhonda' on it.

I actually don't dislike my name at all. I'm pretty laid back and I can poke fun at myself. My name is actually more unfortunate when you add in my married surname, but that's a whole other story lol. It's so giggle worthy that I have taken to hyphenating my maiden and married names when I'm at work because there's a reflex giggle when I use just my married name and it's not terribly professional lol. Outside of work I don't mind... I appreciate that it can make someone's day brighter lol

I'm a 'Sasha' in Australia. And let's push that out to REMOTE Australia

Haha thinking of Rhonda AAMI adds :P

Where are you from? What's weird about Torsten is that we live in remote South Australia. Ain't no scandinavians out here. He's never met another. When my granddad (also named Torsten) moved to Australia (to Sydney, mind you) all his mates changed his name to Jim, because Torsten was too strange.
                      Looking hot today Rhonda... like a sunrise! lol

I like the name Sasha. When I was a kid that was the name I always had in games and things. Buy yeah... not very Australian lol. At least you don't have songs and ads and unfortunate rhyming motorbike brands lol.

Comment

Yeah... Hahaha, when we flew into Bali airport there were these three guys will custom shirts saying things like "gonna meet Rhonda" etc...

Rhonda Honda... Tehehe

RIP

You cut your hair short
                        Revolting with anger

- J. Wylder

Comment

I love my real name. A famous and much-loved deceased British Princess had the same name, only I'm older & had it first. Thanks to her, more people got it right, as opposed to the common variant that ends in -e.
                          sigpic
                          Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

My name's Jesse and it's not a bad name but I don't like the fact that it's biblical and means "god exists." My respect for my father is the only reason I won't change it although I have thought about taking my mother's maiden name because my grandfather on my mother's side had three daughters and a son and his son never had kids. He's one of the most respectable people I know and after everything he's done for me I think it would be a good idea to take his name and prevent it from dying out.

Comment

We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
                              It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
                              Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
                              -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

I still have not taken my husbands name. Mostly because I'm sick of people TELLING me to change it. It's making me rebel. Also I don't want to be Mrs ..........., that's his mother and I don't like her all that much, plus I'm a teacher so I would be called that many times a day. And finally because ,y brother and I are the only ...... Of our line left in Australia. I want to hold onto it for a bit more.

RIP

You cut your hair short
                                Revolting with anger

- J. Wylder

Comment