Questions about the Holy Trinity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Questions about the Holy Trinity

I'm confused as to why it is that you are bothering to abreviate yahweh. Why does your god care so much about people worshipping him according to specific rules. My Goddess just goes with the flow of the chaotic universe.

Comment

Originally posted by Diogenes View Post
      I'm confused as to why it is that you are bothering to abreviate yahweh. Why does your god care so much about people worshipping him according to specific rules. My Goddess just goes with the flow of the chaotic universe.
      YHWH is not an abbreviation. It's the God's Hebrew name.

Second, it's only polite to capitalize "Yahweh" when you capitalize "Goddess", just as you capitalize "Christian" and "Pagan".

Comment

Originally posted by WinterTraditions View Post
        YHWH is not an abbreviation. It's the God's Hebrew name.

Second, it's only polite to capitalize "Yahweh" when you capitalize "Goddess", just as you capitalize "Christian" and "Pagan".
        Polite to whom? You don't even believe the guy exists. Even though I do believe in Goddess, I capitalize it because I do. Capitalization is something that no one but fervent followers with nothing to do care about. goddess is immortal and autoerotic. she needs nothing from mortals much less capitalization.

Comment

Polite to whom? You don't even believe the guy exists. Even though I do believe in Goddess, I capitalize it because I do. Capitalization is something that no one but fervent followers with nothing to do care about. goddess is immortal and autoerotic. she needs nothing from mortals much less capitalization.
          Do not assume simply because of what I call myself on the 'sneak peek' on the sidebar. I believe that Yahweh exists, as well as every deity and entity that has ever been thought of and worshipped.

Actually, I care about capitalization also because I am a writer, and it is proper grammar in this scenario.

Comment

Winter Traditions already covered it, but yeah, YHWH is YHWH's name, Yahweh is a guess on how you'd pronounce it some guys made up. Its not the only guess, and you're not actually supposed to be able to pronounce it anyways.

Why do you need to confront how my God acts? I am not trying to make anyone else worship YHWH here. I believe in and love YHWH, I don't need you to tell me how to worship he/she/it.

Why does my God care about that? You might as well ask "why does my God go with the flow of the universe?" the question is itself the question of what the deity is. You don't have to worship YHWH. I do. YHWH wants a covenant with me, and I follow it. Its my choice, and it makes my life better. You can follow your path, one that is suited to you, and if it is bringing you joy, then good. It is the right path for you. But neither of our paths are the path for everyone.

And it is nice to show respect to other people's God(s), Goddess(es), and beliefs. Its just common courtesy.
            hey look, I have a book! And look I have a second one too!

Comment

Do not assume simply because of what I call myself on the 'sneak peek' on the sidebar. I believe that Yahweh exists, as well as every deity and entity that has ever been thought of and worshipped.

Actually, I care about capitalization also because I am a writer, and it is proper grammar in this scenario.
              Why does the existence of these entities imply that it would be polite to them if we capitalized their names. You've still not answered why these Gods and Goddesses give any damns about what we do in terms of grammer. Mr. Biblical Flood's fragile ego can't handle his name in lower case letters?

Comment

Why does the existence of these entities imply that it would be polite to them if we capitalized their names. You've still not answered why these Gods and Goddesses give any damns about what we do in terms of grammer. Mr. Biblical Flood's fragile ego can't handle his name in lower case letters?
                I never said that the entities are bothered by grammar.

Yahweh's "Biblical Flood" was a way of getting rid of the Nephilim and those who had created them. 'Evil' or 'negative' beings. Noah happened to be the only human left who did not have Watcher or Nephilim blood. (That's what I understand when it comes to the event. I could be corrected, however.)

Comment

Yahweh's "Biblical Flood" was a way of getting rid of the Nephilim and those who had created them. 'Evil' or 'negative' beings. Noah happened to be the only human left who did not have Watcher or Nephilim blood. (That's what I understand when it comes to the event. I could be corrected, however.)
                  So if Deities don't care about grammar then it must be someone who believes in that particular diety whose feelings are hurt when you don't capitalize their diety's name (for whatever reason). If this isn't the case either, then you seem to have proven the point that capitalization of deity names is irrelevent.

Comment

You are pretty much correct, with the addendum that the rest of Noah's family (his Sons and their wives) also didn't have Grigori (Watcher) DNA. I'm glad you know this, its so often totally missed in reading that part of the bible, even by most Christians lol...

Comment

So if Deities don't care about grammar then it must be someone who believes in that particular diety whose feelings are hurt when you don't capitalize their diety's name (for whatever reason). If this isn't the case either, then you seem to have proven the point that capitalization of deity names is irrelevent.
                      Pardon, I think you missed something on one of my previous posts. I said that it was proper grammar to capitalize it. Why? That is because Yahweh is a title/name, just like Goddess, Gaia, Kelsey, Josh, Bob...

And my apologies for hijacking this thread. I think I will leave it be now, as I have nothing more to 'discuss'.

Comment

to the OP:
                        My father actually recommended this to me as an explanation of the Trinity when I mentioned I'd been trying to explain it:

Its the Athanasian creed, which was a creed written about the Trinity (by Athanasius, of course ^_^)

Comment

Originally posted by Malflick View Post
                          You are pretty much correct, with the addendum that the rest of Noah's family (his Sons and their wives) also didn't have Grigori (Watcher) DNA. I'm glad you know this, its so often totally missed in reading that part of the bible, even by most Christians lol...
                          I'll take that as a compliment, so I will say thank you? xD I was not raised Christian, but I do have my own Bible that I page through and study/research. The passage about the Nephilim and Grigori was taken from the Book of Enoch, if I'm not mistaken. Too bad the rest didn't make it into canon. It's an interesting read, and has quite a bit of insight into angels and fallen angels.

Comment

Just a word of caution, as I am noticing things were getting kind of heated in here a moment ago. It seems that it may have passed but just in case... The topic of capitalization and/or abbreviations of people's deities is probably suited to either be a discussion of it's own in another thread OR to be taken into private messages. In either case, I ask that you be courteous to the person you are discussing the topic with. Remember, it's the idea not the person you're discussing.
                            �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
                            ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
                            Sneak Attack
                            Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

I'll take that as a compliment, so I will say thank you? xD I was not raised Christian, but I do have my own Bible that I page through and study/research. The passage about the Nephilim and Grigori was taken from the Book of Enoch, if I'm not mistaken. Too bad the rest didn't make it into canon. It's an interesting read, and has quite a bit of insight into angels and fallen angels.
                              You're welcome XD. Yeah, its from Enoch. I... Still don't get why Enoch isn't in the Bible, so much of it makes so much more sense after you've read it.

Comment

Originally posted by Malflick View Post
                                You're welcome XD. Yeah, its from Enoch. I... Still don't get why Enoch isn't in the Bible, so much of it makes so much more sense after you've read it.
                                I can absolutely agree with that!

I'll pose my own question, and you'll have the joy of embarrassing me if it's been asked already; what version of the Bible do you have? If you have multiple, which one is your favorite/most used?

Comment

Working...
                                X