Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Favorite Bible Versions!

Continuing from the discussion in "Questions about the Trinity"

What are your favorite translations of the Bible?

- - - Updated - - -

In response to Winter Traditions:
    I'm pretty sure the Catholic Bibles would have been "New American Bible" or NAB, that's at least what we used in Sunday school lol.
    hey look, I have a book! And look I have a second one too!

Re: Favorite Bible Versions!

I feel special x,D A new thread was made for my question~ <3

I'm not so sure. See, we have something called Public Catholic Schools here. I can understand Church/Sunday School/Private School having NAB, but it might be different seeing as we're public. Heck, I think they're even different depending on the teacher. My grade 9 books were red and smaller. Grade 10 was... Black? Blue? Something like that.

Comment

Originally posted by WinterTraditions View Post
      I feel special x,D A new thread was made for my question~ <3

I'm not so sure. See, we have something called Public Catholic Schools here. I can understand Church/Sunday School/Private School having NAB, but it might be different seeing as we're public. Heck, I think they're even different depending on the teacher. My grade 9 books were red and smaller. Grade 10 was... Black? Blue? Something like that.
      o_O public Catholic schools? We do not have those in America that I know of.
      That's... Huh. Well then. I wonder what they were?

Comment

Yes! Public Catholic schools. Yeah, you're not the first to hear that and be surprised. lol It's interesting, but really nice. We go to the connected church (Which is really nice!) for mass maybe four times a school year, and they don't force students to pray. A little devotion is said in the morning, but nobody is offended if you don't do the cross over yourself "In the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit".

The only 'have to' is a Christian Ethics course for one term every grade. It's pretty darn insightful and good. My last teacher was extremely thought-provoking. He knew his stuff. And when you posed something he didn't know, he took his own time in finding an answer for you. (We discussed the Book of Enoch for an entire hour one time, and nearly two hours about exorcism and possession!)

Goodness. I think I have this chronic illness where I always seem to change the topic. lol.

I should be able to figure it out tomorrow. If not... I get to wait two months! xD

Comment

Yes! Public Catholic schools. Yeah, you're not the first to hear that and be surprised. lol It's interesting, but really nice. We go to the connected church (Which is really nice!) for mass maybe four times a school year, and they don't force students to pray. A little devotion is said in the morning, but nobody is offended if you don't do the cross over yourself "In the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit".

The only 'have to' is a Christian Ethics course for one term every grade. It's pretty darn insightful and good. My last teacher was extremely thought-provoking. He knew his stuff. And when you posed something he didn't know, he took his own time in finding an answer for you. (We discussed the Book of Enoch for an entire hour one time, and nearly two hours about exorcism and possession!)

Goodness. I think I have this chronic illness where I always seem to change the topic. lol.

I should be able to figure it out tomorrow. If not... I get to wait two months! xD
          This is still basically on topic sort of XD. We only just started talking.

That is pretty neat, though its bizarre its allowed at all. Religious schools in America are all Private, at least as far as I've ever seen or heard of. But you seem to have learned quite a bit, you've certainly come off more knowledgeable on Christianity than, as I said, many Christians. And that teacher sounds quite awesome. I wish more in most subjects were like that.

I don't think I've ever discussed exorcism and possession. To be honest I don't think I really ever took it seriously outside when it was Jesus doing the expelling.

You might want to get diagnosed. Maybe there is a pill for topic changing lol

Comment

Haha! You make me blush. I'm still very young, but I love religious study of all sorts. I could have gone to a regular public school, but I opted for waking at 6AM for a Catholic School simply because it was a way of gaining religious information. The more you know, the less ignorant!

Fudge, maybe it's ADD. Half-way through writing this post, I suddenly looked over to my window, grabbed my taper candle, and started picking off the drippings. lol what.

ANYWAYS. Bibles. Bibles are nice. Mine's all fancy and hardcover and black. Sleek and beautiful ;3

Comment

Haha! You make me blush. I'm still very young, but I love religious study of all sorts. I could have gone to a regular public school, but I opted for waking at 6AM for a Catholic School simply because it was a way of gaining religious information. The more you know, the less ignorant!

Fudge, maybe it's ADD. Half-way through writing this post, I suddenly looked over to my window, grabbed my taper candle, and started picking off the drippings. lol what.

ANYWAYS. Bibles. Bibles are nice. Mine's all fancy and hardcover and black. Sleek and beautiful ;3
              Damn skippy the more you know! One of the reasons I'm here !

Bibles are nice. Mine is... Cheap, paperback, and the kind they give you for free when you go to CRU club at college XD. Yours is much nicer lol....

Comment

Originally posted by Malflick View Post
                Damn skippy the more you know! One of the reasons I'm here !

Bibles are nice. Mine is... Cheap, paperback, and the kind they give you for free when you go to CRU club at college XD. Yours is much nicer lol....
                lol, I'll show you my Bible if you show me yours *Nudge nudge*

Oh, and I totally forgot to comment on the whole possession thing.

From what I remember of what we discussed (Which was four months ago!) There are four levels of diabolical possession:

Temptation
                Infestation
                Obsession
                Possession

From least powerful, to most powerful form... In case it was of interest, that's a little tid-bit xD

Comment

I prefer YouBible. It's online, and you can access several translations, and even lay two translations side-by-side and compare them.

Comment

lol, I'll show you my Bible if you show me yours *Nudge nudge*

Oh, and I totally forgot to comment on the whole possession thing.

From what I remember of what we discussed (Which was four months ago!) There are four levels of diabolical possession:

Temptation
                    Infestation
                    Obsession
                    Possession

From least powerful, to most powerful form... In case it was of interest, that's a little tid-bit xD
                    Huh... Thats interesting. I didn't realize there was a scale! I'll have to look into that.

I need to go to sleep, I'm very tired lol, but I'll post a picture of my Bible tomorrow. Its not that exciting lol.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Chessa View Post
                    I prefer YouBible. It's online, and you can access several translations, and even lay two translations side-by-side and compare them.
                    I like the internet bibles as well, especially for research purposes, but I like having a physical book for curling up and reading for pleasure

I hadn't heard of You Bible though, I'll have to look at it.

Comment

Huh... Thats interesting. I didn't realize there was a scale! I'll have to look into that.

I need to go to sleep, I'm very tired lol, but I'll post a picture of my Bible tomorrow. Its not that exciting lol.

- - - Updated - - -

I like the internet bibles as well, especially for research purposes, but I like having a physical book for curling up and reading for pleasure

I hadn't heard of You Bible though, I'll have to look at it.
                      I could be remembering wrong, but I think the Official Churches that perform exorcisms use that specific scale. There are other scales that you can find around the internet based on demonology and whatnot.

Is it weird if I'm excited to see it? XD It's like show and tell!

Personally, I'm uncomfortable with internet bibles simply because I like my sticky notes (Normally I would use a highlighter, but I felt dirty when I went to go use one on the pages lol)

Oh, and the Bible and other Christian text totally throws off visitors when they see them surrounded by fluffy fiction and Paganism. XP

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Image22.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	351805

"The best part of waking up, is showing off your Bibles to Paaaagaaaaans!" (TM)

Comment

Oh my! That's awesome, Malflick! And thank you very much for giving me a wholesome smile, this morning!!

Been a while since I had anything decent to smile about. (Usually, it's quite IN-decent, what gets me smiling.)

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1825[/ATTACH]

"The best part of waking up, is showing off your Bibles to Paaaagaaaaans!" (TM)
                            hehe lol, made me giggle today!
                            http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
                            ~Jim Butcher

Comment

Originally posted by ChainLightning View Post
                              Oh my! That's awesome, Malflick! And thank you very much for giving me a wholesome smile, this morning!!

Been a while since I had anything decent to smile about. (Usually, it's quite IN-decent, what gets me smiling.)
                              Originally posted by Maria de Luna View Post
                              hehe lol, made me giggle today!
                              You're very welcome ^_^.

Comment

Working...
                              X