X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Being a Godly Wife. Your thoughts?

Originally posted by Malflick View Post
    So.... I'm not being tolerant because I refuse to roll over and agree with you? If you can take it why are you complaining that I am being honest in saying I think how you think about women is horrible? I accept the fact that you're here, and that you have a right to say what you want. I haven't given you negative reputation, or denied your right to say what you think.

Get off your high horse. You're not being crucified or persecuted for being a misogynist, you're just being confronted about it. Having people disagree with you isn't persecution, and it isn't being not tolerated. I'll gladly talk with you again on many more topics, but that doesn't mean I'm going to sit by and let your statements stand unchallenged. That's what a debate IS.

I will definitely agree this thread is going in circles. We're getting no where.
    Did I say *you* specifically? By all means, debate away.

I was just pointing out that I came along, didn't spout the status quo...and after a few pages of I'm a misogynist...lets just close the thread because we can't bully, intimidate or shame him into our way of thinking.

Comment

Originally posted by Monster View Post
      Did I say *you* specifically? By all means, debate away.

I was just pointing out that I came along, didn't spout the status quo...and after a few pages of I'm a misogynist...lets just close the thread because we can't bully, intimidate or shame him into our way of thinking.
      No, close the thread because reading all this is making me face palm.

and no, I can't just stop reading it, the highlighted bit doesn't go away unless I read it haha
      ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
      Seen the desert and the birds
      You cut your hair short
      Like a shush to an insult
      The world had been yelling
      Since the day you were born
      Revolting with anger
      While it smiled like it was cute
      That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Behave. Everyone. Get back on topic, or I'll lock the thread.

Mostly art.

Comment

Originally posted by Thothur View Post
          I know you said that you didn't care about anyone's particular opinion on this topic, however I'm trying to understand your thought process here and thus will share my thoughts on the matter.

I really don't know how such a thing could be a 'hot' button for a man to WANT to have his junk sexually mutilated. That is, unless they are a highly religious Jew or Muslim, and if they are, there's likely no talking reason into them in this matter, because 'God wills it.' Otherwise, I honestly can't understand why a man would want this for his son. Not unless there is a rare medical history of problems with uncircumcised men in his family. There are rare disorders in that kind of thing, but they are very rare indeed.

Your position was that you vehemently disagreed. You likely researched what it really is and what it really does. I'm a circumcised male. I had my organ mutilated at birth, without my permission. I asked my parents why they did it (I grew up Catholic) and they said "Oh, well, everyone was doing it at the time, so we didn't think anything of it." Wow, that's informed consent. It's also interesting to note that my father was NOT circumcised, nor was HIS father, all the way back into antiquity. But felt it was OK to do it to his son, just because that's what was the current 'trend'. They just let the doctor basically make the decision for them.

This isn't a decision about something such as to paint the baby's room blue, grey, or pink. It's something that will affect the poor little fellow his entire life, including possibly leading to sexual dysfunction. (That's kinda what happens when they cut part of your stuff off including tens of thousands of nerve bundles!)

These idiotic mutilation practices need to end, and religion isn't an excuse anymore. We aren't controlled by a high priest upon pain of death or being outcast. We can think for ourselves and say NO.

The one who needs to have the 'authority' in the relationship is the one who knows their arse from a hole in the ground on a subject. Sometimes that'll be your hubby, sometimes that'll be you.

You can't get tired of arguing and just give up when you know it is a topic that is woefully wrong. Some people think it's OK to feed their kids chemicals and GMOs. Others do not. If something was proven harmful for your child, and you knew that, would you give in and give it to them anyway just to make your husband happy? Even though you KNEW he was totally wrong?

If my wife is right about something, and she knows she's right, she never gives up. I love that about her, and I respect her all the more for it. The easy route would be for her to give it and just go with the flow.

I've had to argue on various and sundry points to get the reason why I wanted to do or not do certain things several times, and I didn't give up until that point was realized.

I see it like this, when it comes to non-religious topics, the truth is the truth. Fact is fact. It is independently verifiable by anyone. Most oft the reason an intelligent individual will come to another conclusion is that they don't have all the facts. So getting them all the facts is the key. If they STILL can't see the truth staring at them, then there's a disconnect somewhere.

My wife and I disagree upon very little these days. It's not that I or her have undue influence, it's that we both naturally come to the same conclusion when exposed to the same information. And that makes everything a whole lot easier!
          A quick reply to this and then I'm done here. My hubby had valid reasons. Not medical reasons, necessarily, but that doesn't make it any less valid. He had one friend in high school who wasn't cut. One kid in the whole school. It's extremely common in the USA, even today. He didn't want our child to face the prejudice that kid faced for not being cut. Practically none of the girls would date him because the idea that it is disgusting is so deep rooted here. He also knew that the medical complications a small portion of the population faces by keeping the foreskin could lead to more severe, more likely damage later, if something like that were to happen. And there is a slightly higher risk for infections as they get older. If it's done when they are a baby, they have no memory of it. And there aren't many valid studies that actively give a good reason not to, especially with the more recent tools developed to quicken the process and make it more accurate. Obviously, I'm sure you are aware of my arguments against it so I won't list them.

And, I did mention the topic last night in relation to this post and his response was, "I think we'll wait until their old enough to make the decision. That should be up to them." THIS is how the vast majority of the conversations we have that do reach this point end, with some sort of compromise. The hubby isn't unreasonable or unwilling to compromise. But there isn't a tie breaker here. It just doesn't work that way for us.
          We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
          It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
          Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
          -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

Since no one has actually answered my questions of there being a good or valid reason for keeping it open, I'm going to lock it.

Not that I have to, but here are some reasons why I'm closing it:

1. Everyone's talking in circles. I haven't seen any new bit of information in the last 5+ pages. Stagnant discussions don't get anyone anywhere. It's beating a dead horse, more or less.
            2. Several people, including the OP, have said to close it. Since the OP was among them, I will oblige by the request.
            3. There has been some very good conversation here and lots of interesting points from both sides. Honestly, I'm happy that it made it 13 pages without any direct flame wars. But I have been around this place long enough to know that it's only going downhill. Replies are starting to get more and more personal, which is counterproductive to a debate. People get defensive - some have been from the get go - and I am trying to prevent any more butthurt and infractions from happening.

Whether anyone agrees or disagrees with my listed reasons for closing this topic... well, you can PM me about it if it really bothers you that badly. But I have deemed this topic done.

However, if there are any side topics that sprung up in the conversation that people would like to discuss, feel free to open a new topic about that specific topic. But this one... this one's done.

Thanks for participating. Enjoy the cookies.
            �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
            ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
            Sneak Attack
            Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

Working...
            X