Spiritual Laziness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wait what??

This whole thread really confuses me. I can't bring myself to think of my "spirituality" as being a chore that I have the luxury of being lazy about. It's a part of who I am. It's what I am. It always has been. But for me there are no deities I worship exactly, nor rituals except when magics are called for, and technically I follow no religion. My "spirituality" (sometimes I hate that word because it never seems to fit exactly) is what moves and breathes and creates and pushes me unceasingly forward throughout my life, since I was 9. The idea that I'd wake up one day and be like, "No, man, I think I'll just like, not bother with it" is kind of...confusing and kindasorta offensive to me.

I get totally exhausted sometimes from phases of constant high-level energy work, but quitting is not an option for me; it doesn't work that way. I can't choose that any more than I can choose to not breathe for a few weeks. So none of this really makes much sense from my viewpoint. :wth:

Comment

Re: Wait what??

Originally posted by RainbowDemonic View Post
      This whole thread really confuses me. I can't bring myself to think of my "spirituality" as being a chore that I have the luxury of being lazy about. It's a part of who I am. It's what I am. It always has been. But for me there are no deities I worship exactly, nor rituals except when magics are called for, and technically I follow no religion. My "spirituality" (sometimes I hate that word because it never seems to fit exactly) is what moves and breathes and creates and pushes me unceasingly forward throughout my life, since I was 9. The idea that I'd wake up one day and be like, "No, man, I think I'll just like, not bother with it" is kind of...confusing and kindasorta offensive to me.

I get totally exhausted sometimes from phases of constant high-level energy work, but quitting is not an option for me; it doesn't work that way. I can't choose that any more than I can choose to not breathe for a few weeks. So none of this really makes much sense from my viewpoint. :wth:
      Things are different for different people. Spirituality isn't a one size fits all deal. Most of the threads about spirituality don't make one lick of sense to me at all. Their spirituality is different, doesn't work the same way, and that neither breaks your leg nor picks your pocket, so I wouldn't waste your energy getting offended over it.

Its just different .
      hey look, I have a book! And look I have a second one too!

Comment

Re: Wait what??

Originally posted by Malflick View Post
        Things are different for different people. Spirituality isn't a one size fits all deal. Most of the threads about spirituality don't make one lick of sense to me at all. Their spirituality is different, doesn't work the same way, and that neither breaks your leg nor picks your pocket, so I wouldn't waste your energy getting offended over it.

Its just different .
        That is true. Thank you.

Comment

Re: Spiritual Laziness

I find myself in the same situation. I don't really know how to meditate, I've tried at meditation class but I stopped it before I could learn because I didn't want to go to class on Saturdays. Work (and transportation to and from work) takes up a huge chunk of my time, so when I finally get home, I like to relax with some gaming and napping, I just can't seem to fit in time to develop spiritually. Although sometimes I'll pray for nice weather for when I'm out working.
          What one believes in is infinitely more important than WHO they believe in.

Comment

I think a lot of people forge into religion with a gung-ho, can-do sort of attitude. They feel like they must experience everything right NOW! And if they don't, they feel guilty and start beating themselves up.

Spirituality isn't like that. Sometimes you do get urgency, epiphanies and visions and omens and fireworks and all that, but most of the time it just sneaks up on you. Spirituality is a quiet, dark, underground river. It doesn't burst, it trickles. It wears on certain parts of you like water wears on stone, giving the bedrock of your personality new curves. It grows in your mind and heart like stalagmites and stalactites until connections are made. There's usually no fanfare, no ticker-tape parade - it is eventual.

You don't have to struggle with meditation (although it's a nice way to get to know yourself, it's just one tool in a big ol' toolbox), build a shrine, swear mighty oaths or sacrifice virgins. All you really have to do is open your eyes and breathe.
            The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Originally posted by perzephone View Post
              I think a lot of people forge into religion with a gung-ho, can-do sort of attitude. They feel like they must experience everything right NOW! And if they don't, they feel guilty and start beating themselves up.

Spirituality isn't like that. Sometimes you do get urgency, epiphanies and visions and omens and fireworks and all that, but most of the time it just sneaks up on you. Spirituality is a quiet, dark, underground river. It doesn't burst, it trickles. It wears on certain parts of you like water wears on stone, giving the bedrock of your personality new curves. It grows in your mind and heart like stalagmites and stalactites until connections are made. There's usually no fanfare, no ticker-tape parade - it is eventual.

You don't have to struggle with meditation (although it's a nice way to get to know yourself, it's just one tool in a big ol' toolbox), build a shrine, swear mighty oaths or sacrifice virgins. All you really have to do is open your eyes and breathe.

You're genius.
              Kemetic Blog - http://www.inspiringrainbow.wordpress.com

Bring your grains of Salt.

Comment

Beautiful description, perzephone!
                sigpic
                Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

From my Druidic position Spirituality is like the seasons, especially like summer that is as long as you are sincere in your values. When life gets busy and things heat up, your vision narrows and you fail in seeing the small things going on. But once things slow down, or maybe you're motivated to look, you see things have grown, and changed around you, problems have occurred, and solutions discovered.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies, I really appreciate it!

I am taking one baby step at a time. I realised that half my problem is I was a part of a religion, for 10 years, where they told you what to do when to do it how to do it etc. So it is unchartered territory figuring things out on my own.

I have started with meditation. I did a mini meditation session on Saturday but I kinda got a weird result. I am not sure if people usually see things in medtiation o.O I also spent some time with my cards.
                    There is something pagan in me that I cannot shake off. In short, I deny nothing, but doubt everything. - Lord Byron

Come forth into the light of things, let nature be your teacher. -
                    William Wordsworth

Comment

Originally posted by dgirl1986 View Post
                      I have started with meditation. I did a mini meditation session on Saturday but I kinda got a weird result. I am not sure if people usually see things in medtiation o.O I also spent some time with my cards.
                      You might see things, or hear things or think things. A lot of times when I meditate, I hear a large group of people chanting, or sometimes it sounds like a crowded soccer stadium complete with someone yelling 'GOOOOAAAAAALLLLLLLL!', lol. Just acknowledge whatever your head throws at you and then move it along.
                      The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

I'm currently not experiencing this, since I'm in a fervent state of getting things figured out before I attend (Christian) college. But I know I will. Honestly, I have simply forgotten to do some of the most basic things, and there are times when even eating just seems to be too much effort.

Comment

I am so easily distracted and spiritually lazy like you wouldn't believe. I always want to study, research, meditate, 'pray', etc when I am at work or something like that. As soon as I actually have time at home I either forget, don't much feel like it or get distracted.

How do you overcome spiritual laziness? What are the little things you incorporate into your day to encourage spiritual growth and practice?
                          For me, it was realizing that there's no such thing as spiritual laziness in my worldview. Thinking about it, the reality of death doesn't cease to exist just because I'm watching TV. Birth doesn't cease when I'm washing dishes. The sun rises everyday whether I'm praying or not. Basically, the entirety of the world and experiences around me is spiritual and philosophical and real.

Or, as Kahlil Gibran said so eloquently:

s not religion all deeds and all reflection, And that which is neither deed nor reflection, but a wonder and a surprise ever springing in the soul, even while the hands hew the stone or tend the loom? Who can separate his faith from his actions, or his belief from his occupations? Who can spread his hours before him, saying, "This for God and this for myself; This for my soul, and this other for my body?" All your hours are wings that beat through space from self to self. He who wears his morality but as his best garment were better naked. The wind and the sun will tear no holes in his skin. And he who defines his conduct by ethics imprisons his song-bird in a cage. The freest song comes not through bars and wires. And he to whom worshipping is a window, to open but also to shut, has not yet visited the house of his soul whose windows are from dawn to dawn. Your daily life is your temple and your religion. Whenever you enter into it take with you your all. Take the plough and the forge and the mallet and the lute, The things you have fashioned in necessity or for delight. For in revery you cannot rise above your achievements nor fall lower than your failures. And take with you all men: For in adoration you cannot fly higher than their hopes nor humble yourself lower than their despair. And if you would know God be not therefore a solver of riddles. Rather look about you and you shall see Him playing with your children. And look into space; you shall see Him walking in the cloud, outstretching His arms in the lightning and descending in rain. You shall see Him smiling in flowers, then rising and waving His hands in trees

Comment

I am so easily distracted and spiritually lazy like you wouldn't believe. I always want to study, research, meditate, 'pray', etc when I am at work or something like that. As soon as I actually have time at home I either forget, don't much feel like it or get distracted.

How do you overcome spiritual laziness? What are the little things you incorporate into your day to encourage spiritual growth and practice?
                            This sounds shallow, but the more material reminders I have, the less likely I am to lose my intent over the course of a day. Things on my altar, trinkets in my pocket, necklaces and potions to wear, etc. There's a reason they call it a "practice," you've gotta flex those muscles!
                            No one tells the wind which way to blow.

Comment

Originally posted by Bjorn View Post
                              This sounds shallow, but the more material reminders I have, the less likely I am to lose my intent over the course of a day. Things on my altar, trinkets in my pocket, necklaces and potions to wear, etc. There's a reason they call it a "practice," you've gotta flex those muscles!
                              I agree. My altar in my room reminds me to go over and use it; my pins and tiny things like a rock or crystal can be a potent reminder. It helps me focus when I'm out and about during the day. Since I find divinity in the sun goddess of my path I often just shut my eyes and take in the sun's rays and warmth for a moment. That doesn't take much time and I can do it at any moment I'm within the path of a window or outside. The divine is in the simple things, sometimes.

Comment

I've started putting more things up around the place to help remind me. Like a kitchen shrine.
                                ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
                                Seen the desert and the birds
                                You cut your hair short
                                Like a shush to an insult
                                The world had been yelling
                                Since the day you were born
                                Revolting with anger
                                While it smiled like it was cute
                                That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment