Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Crash

Originally posted by ChainLightning View Post
    Heh. Most of what I could add to the conversation isn't really *public*.

Except (with "secrets" in parens):
    • Danrak was still an active member when I joined.
    • RoknRol purchased the forum, supposedly, at the urging of one RunicWarrior, just under two years after the forum's inception. Danrak had other sites to tend to but he and Rok had an arrangement that left all of the PF hosting up, on his [Danrak's] own server... which is what failed us, in the Big Crash.
    • The negotiations, to purchase the site from Rok, actually began before my daughter had passed away. So, they began in 2008. But because of the insanity, that I was dealing with, in Alissa's final days and weeks, all of the talks were put on hold. After which, the forum banded together in it's 6th, I think it was, fundraiser for a forum member. Rok received better than $1500 of donations to put toward that fabulously personal headstone of Alissa's, that is ultimately... perfection. Some forum members added a far more personal touch, by making one-off pieces of joy that are, even now, still with Alissa. (I will be forever grateful to Co-Owner Juni and Master Corbin, specifically, for their wonderful hand-made gifts to a young lady they never met, or even spoke to.)
    • When negotiations started to come back up, with a bit more urgency, I put together a group of volunteers, that consisted of the entire staff, at the time, that resided in the US. Most notably, those folks currently missing from the Owners Bench are MoonstoneOpal and ThorsSon, though Rafe and Kijani/twisted/Kakure/pick-a-name were also part of the negotiations. (Negotiations that both Juni and I put money toward, under another member's name, to try to keep them part of the Owners' group.)

When I say I put the group together, what I mean is that it was put to the entire staff, at my request. Rok intended to sell the forum. And he really wanted to sell it to me. I didn't want the sole responsibility, I wanted a committee. I wanted others in on it. There are days that I second-guess that decision but SERIOUSLY all I have to do is look to all of the work that Thalassa has accomplished, in creating, almost seamlessly, a working facsimile of the HOME we used to have. And the simple fact that Juni is in control of our site hosting and financial needs is an immeasurable blessing. We wouldn't HAVE our PaganForum, if it weren't for these two spectacular ladies!

And that's a fact. A fact I am DAMN proud of. I am far too hot-headed and fickle. Well-meaning but vulgar. I watch out for our guests, our members and friends, but I also have high standards - that I can never even hold myself to.

Now, IN that, I want to be able to do special things for people that help the forum out with their donations. I want to salvage anything and everything I possibly can from the old database. I want to give back to people the kind of joy, comfort and, in fact, love, that they've shown me. And I'm a cynical old bastard, that's very stuck in his ways, in an ever-evolving community.

Old PF or new. This community is my home. It has been for nearly ten long years. I hope it remains so for another ten.

K. Now, I'll shut up.
    sigpic
    Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

• RoknRol purchased the forum, supposedly, at the urging of one RunicWarrior, just under two years after the forum's inception. Danrak had other sites to tend to but he and Rok had an arrangement that left all of the PF hosting up, on his [Danrak's] own server... which is what failed us, in the Big Crash.
      • The negotiations, to purchase the site from Rok, actually began before my daughter had passed away. So, they began in 2008. But because of the insanity, that I was dealing with, in Alissa's final days and weeks, all of the talks were put on hold. After which, the forum banded together in it's 6th, I think it was, fundraiser for a forum member. Rok received better than $1500 of donations to put toward that fabulously personal headstone of Alissa's, that is ultimately... perfection. Some forum members added a far more personal touch, by making one-off pieces of joy that are, even now, still with Alissa. (I will be forever grateful to Co-Owner Juni and Master Corbin, specifically, for their wonderful hand-made gifts to a young lady they never met, or even spoke to.)
      • When negotiations started to come back up, with a bit more urgency, I put together a group of volunteers, that consisted of the entire staff, at the time, that resided in the US. Most notably, those folks currently missing from the Owners Bench are MoonstoneOpal and ThorsSon, though Rafe and Kijani/twisted/Kakure/pick-a-name were also part of the negotiations. (Negotiations that both Juni and I put money toward, under another member's name, to try to keep them part of the Owners' group.)

When I say I put the group together, what I mean is that it was put to the entire staff, at my request. Rok intended to sell the forum. And he really wanted to sell it to me. I didn't want the sole responsibility, I wanted a committee. I wanted others in on it. There are days that I second-guess that decision but SERIOUSLY all I have to do is look to all of the work that Thalassa has accomplished, in creating, almost seamlessly, a working facsimile of the HOME we used to have. And the simple fact that Juni is in control of our site hosting and financial needs is an immeasurable blessing. We wouldn't HAVE our PaganForum, if it weren't for these two spectacular ladies!

And that's a fact. A fact I am DAMN proud of. I am far too hot-headed and fickle. Well-meaning but vulgar. I watch out for our guests, our members and friends, but I also have high standards - that I can never even hold myself to.

Now, IN that, I want to be able to do special things for people that help the forum out with their donations. I want to salvage anything and everything I possibly can from the old database. I want to give back to people the kind of joy, comfort and, in fact, love, that they've shown me. And I'm a cynical old bastard, that's very stuck in his ways, in an ever-evolving community.

Old PF or new. This community is my home. It has been for nearly ten long years. I hope it remains so for another ten.

K. Now, I'll shut up.
      Wow. This place... Well I already knew it was special. I really like it here, a lot, and I've been surprised how much time I spend here on a day-to-day basis. The people here have been ridiculously kind and accepting in general, and its good to be here.

But I see its been that way for a long time.

Thank you, ChainLighting, and all the rest of you who run this place, for making it what it is. You've done good.
      hey look, I have a book! And look I have a second one too!

Comment

Ahh the days when I was a mod.
        It's much more relaxing to be on of the little people instead
        Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
          Ahh the days when I was a mod.
          It's much more relaxing to be on of the little people instead
          LOL but very true!

I gotta ask, were you here when they had that shadowstarwolf whatever, with all the flowery special characters in her name, was? She and Rok were kinda like enemies, or something, right from when he joined the forum - to troll a vampire thread, if memory serves.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

K. Now, I'll shut up.
            Nyaw Chain! I was already glad that I joined, and kinda ahhh that I'm addicted, but now I feel special that I am even here, and even remotely accepted!

When clearly the special one is you! Love love love love love Chain! x

Originally posted by Malflick View Post
            XD Indeed, and she'll learn our secret handshakes and then where would we be?

That's pretty crazy she was here! There's no one here I've met in real life that I know of
            We went to school together, kinda stated the whole Wiccan thing together, joined the same forum together (well she joined first, her dad was a tech-y person, so she knew what a forum was) but we kept secrets. We want to be individual dark snowflakes.

And that's why I will NEVER tell her about our special handshakes!

Though to be honest, she probably wouldn't want to join, cos I was here first, and she'd feel that she couldn't make her own place here cos of me, which is sad I guess, but I'm the winner! tehehehe!

Originally posted by Malflick View Post
            Wow. This place... Well I already knew it was special. I really like it here, a lot, and I've been surprised how much time I spend here on a day-to-day basis. The people here have been ridiculously kind and accepting in general, and its good to be here.

But I see its been that way for a long time.

Thank you, ChainLighting, and all the rest of you who run this place, for making it what it is. You've done good.
            Yeah spanks guys!
            ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
            Seen the desert and the birds
            You cut your hair short
            Like a shush to an insult
            The world had been yelling
            Since the day you were born
            Revolting with anger
            While it smiled like it was cute
            That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Cripes, I'm just overly self-conscious, lacking in confidence and too self-effacing. Money aside, I didn't feel at all comfortable with having to "do it all". MaskedOne jokes about his tyrannical actions. My tyranny isn't a joking matter. Someone else has to run it - or things would deteriorate rapidly. This situation forces me to back off of situations that I would otherwise DIVE straight into.

I've said it before. I just plain assumed that I was going to be banned, in no time, when I joined. Instead, I was secretly added to the administration team, solely for the purpose of coding, fixing, maintaining and improving the forum software. After a year or two of that, I finally came out of hidden category and started sporting an Admin tag. I still felt that I'd be kicked off the site, at some point, because of my eagerness to jump IN to conflicts, heated debates and that. I sorta thrive on that turmoil, I come alive and think fast (which is offset, here, by slow typing - the two finger approach.)

Also, to clarify another bit of ambiguity, the other members that I tried to keep on board, as new owners? I did not pay Thal's way, I didn't mean for it to sound like that. I put in money under MoonstoneOpal's name, chiefly, as well as Rafe's. I've heard tell that Juni had done something similar but it's not my place to say who or what. If she wants to spill that "secret", she will. I won't. And I apologize for insinuating that Thal may not have officially bought her own share of the forum. (That is to say, the three of us paid out significant funds to buy this place, and ultimately save it from possible/probable extinction.)

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

Also, to clarify another bit of ambiguity, the other members that I tried to keep on board, as new owners? I did not pay Thal's way, I didn't mean for it to sound like that. I put in money under MoonstoneOpal's name, chiefly, as well as Rafe's. I've heard tell that Juni had done something similar but it's not my place to say who or what. If she wants to spill that "secret", she will. I won't. And I apologize for insinuating that Thal may not have officially bought her own share of the forum. (That is to say, the three of us paid out significant funds to buy this place, and ultimately save it from possible/probable extinction.)
                I certainly was not offended! I totally admit that I probably contributed the least of the three of us, money-wise (which will hopefully change soon--new job squee!)...though, I think all three of us did plenty-o-werk getting her up an running again.

It was funny, because at the time, we were all so bummed, we ended up having massive cam chats on tinychat...
                Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                  It was funny, because at the time, we were all so bummed, we ended up having massive cam chats on tinychat...
                  Oh, holy cats! Hell yeah! I'm near brought to tears, remembering how overwhelming it was, then. What a prolonged and nigh impossible feat, trying to get back up after we lost everything. Danrak was completely unreachable - I thought Juni was about to slide, irreversibly, into my kind of contempt and cynicism, there. Plus, bringing in the new software, the hosting nightmare, the nuts and bolts of how the forum was *supposed* to look...

All of it without all that much thought given to, 'will the forum still be... home?' It was just simply stuff we had to do. The only question being who's doing what bit, "I'm on this, can you get that?" Funny, in a Keystone Cops sort of way, while at the same time being terribly disheartening, frustrating and painful.

I hesitate to call it all a nightmare because, under those same circumstances, I'd jump right in and do it again. Ya don't think about it, you just do it. It's all about the community. The family we have all come to be part of. What an honor it is!

I thought I was gonna shut up. Apparently not.

Comment

I miss TinyChat, kinda. I hate being on cam, but I enjoy *talking* to the other PF members. I usually just pop up my desktop, lol. Sometimes, if people pay attention, they can see me dink around int he AdminCP, lol.

*secrets*secrets*
                    �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
                    ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
                    Sneak Attack
                    Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

Originally posted by Juniper View Post
                      I miss TinyChat, kinda. I hate being on cam, but I enjoy *talking* to the other PF members. I usually just pop up my desktop, lol. Sometimes, if people pay attention, they can see me dink around int he AdminCP, lol.

*secrets*secrets*
                      Tinychat party at the end of the month once I'm out of camp? (no voip in camp, sorry!)

Mostly art.

Comment

LOL but very true!

I gotta ask, were you here when they had that shadowstarwolf whatever, with all the flowery special characters in her name, was? She and Rok were kinda like enemies, or something, right from when he joined the forum - to troll a vampire thread, if memory serves.
                        Nope. I was here for that Alabaster dude who was a racist. And I was here when that lord Karuma had to be banned because he was stalking me. He e-mailed me letters about wanting to marry me and we were meant to be. Dumuzi had to step in and help the guy out. He was seriously creepy. I also remember the big feud we had with that other site. I think it was the Cauldron..no something all green. And I got banned. And all hell broke out between us and them.

Good times!

Comment

Nope. I was here for that Alabaster dude who was a racist. And I was here when that lord Karuma had to be banned because he was stalking me. He e-mailed me letters about wanting to marry me and we were meant to be. Dumuzi had to step in and help the guy out. He was seriously creepy. I also remember the big feud we had with that other site. I think it was the Cauldron..no something all green. And I got banned. And all hell broke out between us and them.

Good times!
                          Oh, yeah! Geez, that was back when we were still kids and shit. LOL

Gimme a few, I might be able to come up with the name of that place. All that comes to mind, just now is Pagan Path, and I don't think that was it, either. There was a Wiccan site, too... Wiccan Way? Ugh. I'll have to think on it for a bit, memory banks have way too many fuzzy spots.

Edit: Thrice Taboo!!!
                          Last edited by ChainLightning; 12 Jul 2013, 21:16.

Comment

Rok's friend was on there. The really nice guy who was super peace dude.

- - - Updated - - -

GypsySeaWitch! That was her name. She was a mod there and a member here. Very nice woman.

Comment

GypsySeaWitch! That was her name. She was a mod there and a member here. Very nice woman.

Wasn't Gypsy, she still comes around. The woman's nick was SeaMyst. She and her husband owned the place. It was actually more filled with information, articles and other useful stuff, like soap-making guides etc, and the forum was just this small sort of diversion, that wound up being kind of the only piece of the site to actually see any traffic. It's all gone now but I still talk to her once in a while, on fb.

Comment

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
                                Tinychat party at the end of the month once I'm out of camp? (no voip in camp, sorry!)
                                You have my vote. And my axe!

Guys I remember everything you are talking about. Does the following picture ring any bells

[4:82]

Comment

Working...
                                X