Death of Pets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Death of Pets

In July my family lost a yorkshire terrior/maltese mix. She had lived for 14 years and would have been 15 in December. She had a sister that we had to put down a few years earlier due to a tumor. Fortunately she died naturally in bed with my parents. If you have read the rainbow bridge poem, you know one day we will join our pets wherever we go. I believe I will see all of my dead pets when I die. I am sorry for your loss and hope you recover. It takes a while to recover from a loss. Luckily I have three other pets to be with, however, Dixie (the yorky/maltese mix), will still be in my heart and you have to remember that. Your pet would want you to be happy not sad. He or she would want you to remember them. I hope that helped. Again, I am sorry for your loss.
    Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

Re: Death of Pets

It leaves a gap when we lose our animals, and yet most of the animals with whom we share our lives have shorter lifespans than we do. We know it going into the relationship, and yet how can we not? Gandalf still grieves for his brother who died last Christmas, and he has acted "old" ever since. He would not eat for a long time, but is OK now. I have yet to remove the box of ashes and paw print from a place of honor even though it is reaching a time frame where it could be seen as strange, but *shrug*. It was a help for my son and daughter to each adopt a kitten this past summer because it brought new life into the house, but they in no way replace my Albus, who really was my heart. Like your pet, he died suddenly from very aggressive cancer, though I had the privilege of knowing him for 10 years. It does get easier, though I feel the sadness again writing this.

Your boyfriend may have a tougher time of it because so many people do not understand how individual, loving, and unique a snake can be, so he may not receive the emotional support that someone losing a dog, cat, horse, etc., would. That may be why he was being restrained in his grief. It is good that you are there to understand and give him permission to feel what he feels.

If you are not ready to invite a new friend into your home, maybe you could volunteer to to help with animals who need care, at a rescue or a shelter, or just pet sitting for friends. Keep your hearts open, even in grief.

"No, no, you're not thinking; you're just being logical." -- Niels Bohr

Comment

Working...
      X