Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The relationship between Emotions and our magick power.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The relationship between Emotions and our magick power.

Just something I thought I should throw out here.

I've noticed in several occasions that me and my few "students" tend to be able to focus more effectively and be more powerful/efficient during spellwork when we are really happy or angry/sad/jealous or whatever other strong feeling or emotion. However, during a moment of emotional neutrality, we become weaker. Not weak, just weaker than when we are going through a moment of extreme hardship or joy.

My theory is that deep, powerful emotions make our intent stronger. This would explain our abilities, even for simple things as divination, more accurate or effective.

Has any of you noticed something similar to this? Do you have any other theory to explain this?

Check out my blog! The Daily Satanist

Re: The relationship between Emotions and our magick power.

I would agree with that in some ways. I think occasionally it could help inspire a stronger focus and determination to complete something, but I think in other instances it could be exceptionally distracting and take away focus. Honestly, I would think it would depend. The stronger emotions you are feeling, the more energy you have focused in that direction, making it easier to complete your goals, but if you cross a certain line, when does it become too much to handle and focus in a certain direction?

Comment

I haven't found any problem when extreme feelings are used in spellwork, though, so I wouldn't know.

Comment

I am not a big proponent of magical working during heightened emotional states, I agree they can be more powerful, but they can be less focused as well, and as someone who has had a magical working go very badly, heightened emotional states leave you open to unclear thinking and unfocused thinking. which can lead to powerful unwanted or even regretted results. If you already have a clear focused purpose working yourself into a heightened emotional state seems more advisable as long as you can control it...
        By which I should clarify that I mean experienced before trying something like that, or it should be done under the direction and supervision of a more expierienced practitioner.Emotions can also strengthen focus, but we don't always have complete control over where that focus goes. So emotions can help, but they can be hard to reign in if they are running too hot. It takes practice and it stands to reason that if you are well versed in said practice, you will get better at it...
        http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
        ~Jim Butcher

Comment

I've found intense emotion problematic when working magic. My guess is that it isn't that emotional states of mind are innately more difficult to work magic in, so much as that when we are in such states our minds tend to be more chaotic, shifting and in flux. As far as my state of mind goes, I've found the single most important thing when working magic is to be able to maintain a lucid state which is entirely focused on the working and it's goal, on will and intent, and strong emotion tends to drag my attention away to other matters tangential to the actual working.

Now the flip side is that I expect that if the emotion could be maintained, kept stable and focused, it would probably be a powerful boost to any particular working, but so far I've found that I have trouble doing that personally. I have trouble enough with concentration and attention without bringing strong emotion into the mix

Comment

When you spell from an emotional standpoint, you're locking yourself into a reactionary frame of mind, which, personally, weakens the intent with which spelling draws its power. Emotions are not intended to be the fuse itself, but the initial spark that sets the spell on its path, so to speak. Emotions are fickle, petty, unreliable, and often, selfish and illogical. When you spell, I think you need to harness your emotions with rationality or else you sound like little more than a lamb bleating for help in the giant, cosmic swirl of the universe.

Emotions are limiting and distracting. If you're trying to get real work done, a cool, steady, compassionate magician's mind must be put to the task. Everything else is selfish distraction -- spiritual masturbation, if you will.
            No one tells the wind which way to blow.

Comment

Originally posted by Bjorn View Post
              When you spell from an emotional standpoint, you're locking yourself into a reactionary frame of mind, which, personally, weakens the intent with which spelling draws its power. Emotions are not intended to be the fuse itself, but the initial spark that sets the spell on its path, so to speak. Emotions are fickle, petty, unreliable, and often, selfish and illogical. When you spell, I think you need to harness your emotions with rationality or else you sound like little more than a lamb bleating for help in the giant, cosmic swirl of the universe.

Emotions are limiting and distracting. If you're trying to get real work done, a cool, steady, compassionate magician's mind must be put to the task. Everything else is selfish distraction -- spiritual masturbation, if you will.
              I will have to disagree. Emotions are the purest of intents. Selfishness is as powerful as selflessness, and not necessarily illogical. Harnessing the emotions with rationality is the way to channel them. But it's still the emotions that are the fuel.

Spiritual masturbation? That does sound like something powerful, not petty :P

Comment

Originally posted by SeanRave View Post
                I will have to disagree. Emotions are the purest of intents. Selfishness is as powerful as selflessness, and not necessarily illogical. Harnessing the emotions with rationality is the way to channel them. But it's still the emotions that are the fuel.

Spiritual masturbation? That does sound like something powerful, not petty :P
                Emotions are too easily influenced, which is why I do not fully trust them when it comes to bothering the Universe. One moment, I might feel something very intensely only to later discover that the circumstances have now changed and I no longer feel that way. This is what I mean by emotions locking you in a reactionary frame of mind. If all you do is use emotions then you're essentially allowing the world to dictate what you feel and how strongly you feel it. What if you want to get something else done, something that didn't come from your emotions but came from your mind, or the deep, strong, sad, and beautiful place inside -- something that didn't have to do with you at all? Something greater, you know?
                No one tells the wind which way to blow.

Comment

Thinking on this today, I really thought about what makes a good prayer to me and how my emotions might influence.

Some of my best prayers have been through song. When I'm singing, I become the song. Every word, every breath, every voicing and every pluck of the string takes on meaning and subtly communicates. I'm in a highly emotional state and I achieve my goal. However, too much emotion and I can't stay on track anymore and the whole working becomes impotent. It's left hanging and half done.

However, I don't think the prayer's power depends exclusively on how much of my emotions and effort I pour into it. I think the spiritual world is carrying me, at times. Sometimes not, but in very special times, something extra is evident in my song. Then at other times, it's very evident that I'm being carried and the power of my song is not at all because of my own abilities. There are times too, when I feel nothing at all but I just make my prayers in faith. It's pleasant and encouraging to me when those prayers are honoured.

I think there's an interplay between our prayers and the spiritual world that we don't always fully grasp or have control over. Sometimes, I think of myself as more powerful than I actually am. The word 'balance' continually meets with me. An appreciation of the balance between responsibility of personal effort and responsiveness of deity might fit well, here.

I'm not convinced the power of a prayer is in its might, rather than in the strength of bond between deity and the person praying.

I don't purposely conjure emotion when I pray, rather its an organic response I feel in the presence of my deity. The emotions that flow from these encounters are a natural outworking of the topics within prayer. I think that kind of honesty is appreciated and reciprocated.

I really like the idea of having enough personal power and transparency before my deity to simply state what I mean without feeling the need to put extra weight on my words through personal effort and have it resonate within me that, yes, I have been heard. I haven't achieved this yet, but I would really like to.

I would be interested to hear what MaskedOne had to say on this topic, actually. (**Am I allowed to do this?!) He strikes me as someone who is level-headed with oodles of personal power

Comment

Emotions are too easily influenced, which is why I do not fully trust them when it comes to bothering the Universe. One moment, I might feel something very intensely only to later discover that the circumstances have now changed and I no longer feel that way. This is what I mean by emotions locking you in a reactionary frame of mind. If all you do is use emotions then you're essentially allowing the world to dictate what you feel and how strongly you feel it. What if you want to get something else done, something that didn't come from your emotions but came from your mind, or the deep, strong, sad, and beautiful place inside -- something that didn't have to do with you at all? Something greater, you know?
                    Emotions are too easily influenced, which is why I do not fully trust them when it comes to bothering the Universe.
                    Emotions are easily influenced in weak people. People with issues such as low self-esteem, depression, anger management problems. Although it's not always the case, that's for sure. And I think any serious practitioner, when faced with emotions that he can't channel completely, is mature enough to know he should not do something he can regret.

One moment, I might feel something very intensely only to later discover that the circumstances have now changed and I no longer feel that way.
                    That's how it works for every emotion. I don't see how that is a bad thing. Nothing human is ever eternal. It's the intensity that can be harnessed by a tool (by those who can) that's useful in the practice.

This is what I mean by emotions locking you in a reactionary frame of mind. If all you do is use emotions then you're essentially allowing the world to dictate what you feel and how strongly you feel it.
                    That's what we are. Reactionary. It's part of our nature, there's nothing bad with being reactionary. And technically, it's impossible to act, we all just react, because to any action, there is a cause, and a consequence (which is the reactionary sequel).

And only by knowing how the world wants us to feel, we can know if we agree with that feeling, or change the world to make us feel differently. Changing our surroundings is one of the many ways to change what we feel. Let's say you're in a relationship with an abusing partner. This partner mistreats you and makes you feel horrible. You dump them, move out, find a new place. And suddenly you start feeling differently. I'm oversimplifying here, I know. But I'm sure you get my meaning. Changing your surroundings is a way to change our feelings.

What if you want to get something else done, something that didn't come from your emotions but came from your mind, or the deep, strong, sad, and beautiful place inside -- something that didn't have to do with you at all? Something greater, you know?
                    I believe that the secret for powerful magic is in the heart, soul and mind to become one. So the most powerful magic comes from the synchronization of those three. How can something that has nothing to do with ourselves be beautiful.

I think there's nothing greater than ourselves.

Comment

I think there's nothing greater than ourselves.
                      When you say this, it makes me think you mean there's nothing greater than yourself, or the power within yourself. Be welcome to say otherwise. When I see that statement, I think there's nothing greater than the whole. Power within self being just a part of the whole.

Thinking over this a little more while cooking dinner...

Maybe responses to this topic will vary depending on how a person views emotions are to be used. Thinking over the function of emotions, (and this ties in with my previous post) I view their function as relational.

I try not to display my emotions in such a way that I compel others to do my will. Instead, I try to use them as an inner gauge to determine my outward/inward responses to circumstances around me. Of course, there are times when I do display my emotions to try to get what I want- just ask my husband! However, always, always it is not conjured, but an honest representation of how I am feeling. But again, what gives weight to my emotional outburst is the value of the relationship. Emotions are not a currency, but a flavour.

I think you're right. Emotions have the potential to add potency when properly used as part of a whole.

Comment

Originally posted by Azvanna View Post
                        When you say this, it makes me think you mean there's nothing greater than yourself, or the power within yourself. Be welcome to say otherwise. When I see that statement, I think there's nothing greater than the whole. Power within self being just a part of the whole.

Thinking over this a little more while cooking dinner...

Maybe responses to this topic will vary depending on how a person views emotions are to be used. Thinking over the function of emotions, (and this ties in with my previous post) I view their function as relational.

I try not to display my emotions in such a way that I compel others to do my will. Instead, I try to use them as an inner gauge to determine my outward/inward responses to circumstances around me. Of course, there are times when I do display my emotions to try to get what I want- just ask my husband! However, always, always it is not conjured, but an honest representation of how I am feeling. But again, what gives weight to my emotional outburst is the value of the relationship. Emotions are not a currency, but a flavour.

I think you're right. Emotions have the potential to add potency when properly used as part of a whole.
                        Yep, I truly believe the human potential is infinite. We can all be as powerful as our Gods or the whole itself. Not necessarily by becoming a part of it. Why be a part of something, when you can be the whole of yourself? That's what I ask myself.

Originally posted by Azvanna View Post
                        I try not to display my emotions in such a way that I compel others to do my will.
                        Why not? Sheep are to be led, after all :P
                        Last edited by Sean R. R.; 02 Aug 2013, 03:53.

Comment

Yep, I truly believe the human potential is infinite. We can all be as powerful as our Gods or the whole itself. Not necessarily by becoming a part of it. Why be a part of something, when you can be the whole of yourself? That's what I ask myself.
                          This, for you, might be what defines ascension? Mine is similar: Being one with the whole. I think the two would look much the same.

Comment

Yes, it is my view on ascension.

Comment

I just saw your update! It's interesting that you say 'Sheep are to be led!' I have been told this a lot in church and I wonder if it's true.. but it takes a relationship to lead sheep! A good shepherd spends time among the flock, is there at births and becomes part of the flock in order to lead it ;o)

Comment

Working...
                              X