Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Faith, how do you define it and how important or nessecary is it to you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Faith, how do you define it and how important or nessecary is it to you?

Im not sure if i stole this from someone, or made it up, but this is the phrase i use: faith is belief in the absence of evidence, not belief in spite of evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by Heka View Post
      And he'll probably grab your arse when you go for a photo with him... *sigh*
      Donald Duck actually did that. :=L:
      Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

As others have said, I think of faith as believing in something that can't really be proven, at least when talking about it in a spiritual/religious setting. However, I sort of take this in a broader sense as, to me, also includes things like personal experiences, and scripture that can't be proven without pointing to itself. As an example, someone mentioned the Bible, but since the claims of the Bible (as a whole) can't really be proven without pointing to the Bible much of the time, then there is faith involved. Someone may believe in their personal spiritual path because of experiences they've had, but since those experiences can't be proven to others - even if they work as proof to the self - then there is faith involved.

So, for me, even though I have personal experiences, and my own little personal proofs, since I can't actually use those as proof to others, I'd say there is some faith involved there.
        Hearth and Hedge

Comment

Originally posted by Bjorn View Post
          Faith is a choice. You either choose to believe something or you don't. Since absolutely NO specific religion, path, or spirituality can proven AT ALL, faith is a tool for those who follow a path with hard rules. Without it, how else could you justify continuing down that same path, never once wavering?

I am much less defined. I have HOPE that the path I walk isn't utter horseshit but I have FAITH that, no matter what, I'll always put one foot in front of the other on the way towards the light. The shoes I wear and the map I follow are immaterial.
          Well put!
          Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
            Donald Duck actually did that. :=L:
            Clearly a prick.
            ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
            Seen the desert and the birds
            You cut your hair short
            Like a shush to an insult
            The world had been yelling
            Since the day you were born
            Revolting with anger
            While it smiled like it was cute
            That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

To me there are perhaps to kinds of faith that I focus on: Faith based on gut feelings, and faith inspired by proof but also requiring confidence. I will give an example.
              I have faith (even though I sometimes have my doubts from time to time) that many scientists are wrong when they say I (my consciousness) will cease to exist once my neural activity has completely ended. I have no definitive proof to back this up, but my gut tells me that I will live on and that eventually I might even reincarnate.
              The faith inspired by proof comes from the things that I have done successfully; casting successful spells, accurately translating documents, giving sound advice to my friends, etc. However, there are times, even with this proof, when I second-guess myself. I wonder if I can actually do these things on a consistent basis. It is at times like these that I have to have faith in my experiences and my abilities, believing that if I was successful before, I can and will be successful again. This is just one person's view of course.

Comment

As a rule, I have very little faith, at least by one definition. I have never had the blind certainty that many religious people seem to have. I have, however, sometimes had experiences that made me consider a spiritual world to be a very large possibility. That personal estimation could be considered a kind of faith, but that's the extent of it for me. Provided that the divine does exist, however, I have a very strong leaning towards a certain interpretation of it- although even then, some beliefs are much more tentative than others.

I've noticed I'm plagued by uncertainty more than many of my pagan friends, and it can be a downer. Often, I feel like I'm the only one at a ritual who can't just open myself to "feelings", because I don't trust my own imagination. Every now and then though, something gets through. Maybe I'm lucky in a sense that I can keep both feet on the ground most of the time, but still get a nibble of that religious inspiration.
                If you want to be thought intelligent, just agree with everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Yazichestvo View Post
                  I've noticed I'm plagued by uncertainty more than many of my pagan friends, and it can be a downer. Often, I feel like I'm the only one at a ritual who can't just open myself to "feelings", because I don't trust my own imagination. .
                  sames

/10char
                  ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
                  Seen the desert and the birds
                  You cut your hair short
                  Like a shush to an insult
                  The world had been yelling
                  Since the day you were born
                  Revolting with anger
                  While it smiled like it was cute
                  That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment