This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Minecraft Thread of Mining and Crafting

It amazes me that they're able to stay in character even when things get crazy and they panic. I like Gamechap and Bertie, but there's a limit to how much I can take!.

Anyway, has anyone had a peek at the planned updates for vanilla? OMGs, it is bloody beautiful. It's mostly focusing on improving biomes as far as I can tell. They've made it so the landscape fills more of the vertical axis, so that extreme hills, are extremely, extreme and villages can spawn on hills to pretty cool effect (houses like sky-scrapers!). The new biomes are amazing too, with a lot of nice detail added in. I think some people will hate the updates, but I think they'll make the world even more breathtaking than it was before! I can't wait!
    夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

I'm excited for the redwood forest biome. It looks sooo pretty. It does seem like they're going to make things more realistic too which would be nice. I don't really like the way mesa looks, it's too dark in my opinion but I'm sure I'll eventually like it.
      Circe

Comment

Hey hey my fellow blockheads!!

I have free time again now! Soo.. I've decided I'm going to build myself a nice little home with stables and lots of lovely ponies! I think I'll make a kind of country cottage thing. I'll probably still do my other ideas, like the towns that worship various mobs, but not until I have my cottage!

I just need to decide if I want to do this in my own world, or on the shared server. On the shared server, JP could help me, so we could build up cool stuff much faster than I could alone. He's very much inspired by Sjin's Let's Builds and has learnt some pretty cool techniques. His current build in our shared server is an underwater cylindrical construction built of glass. It's pretty cool.

Actually.. if you have a few hours of your life to waste, you should really check out some of Sjin's work. I want to share his 'evil fortress' but the first few episodes are just him laying down the foundations so they're not that impressive (but worth watching if you're interested in building in a serious way). I've chosen a later episode so you can see a bit more of what he is capable of.. He's got such a nice voice too, I could listen to him for hours... oh wait.. I have! ^^

Watching these just makes me want to build build build...
        夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Well, I finished the roof today. Still so much to do, but here's my first ever proper build as it looks so far.. (sorry, I only found out you need to press F1 to clear the screen AFTER I took these! I'm still learning. :P

I cheated a bit.. the roofs over the stable blocks were copied from a lets build I saw on youtube. I did everything else myself though.

I'm probably going to change the wooden steps on the roof so it's all nether brick, but I want to finish building everything else first, before I come back and start tweaking things.

Inside the stables

The stalls are separated by gates and I have to walk all the horses in through the back doors, because of course, the front doors don't actually open. I've had to use regular doors at the back so they'll open and close. Maybe we'll get stable doors in minecraft one day!

I haven't done much inside yet. Well, I've almost finished the downstairs. I just haven't done much upstairs yet, besides fit a glow stone ceiling.

Well, that's it really. I still have so much to do. I've started laying down coloured wool to mark out where the indoor arena is going to go, but as I'm right next to savana, I'm having to clear huge sand dunes to make way for it, and it's taking ages. I wish I had world edit!!

Well, I'm quite pleased with it so far. I'm a very clumsy builder, so it takes longer than it should. I can't place steps without putting blocks under where they'll go and then deleting them, although I'm sure people on youtube seem to be able to. Everything I do, is done the long way and I can't even build walls without falling off, so this has taken me almost 10 hours of building (8 of which were done on the first night, and I spent 2 hours finishing the roof and laying the foundations of the arena tonight). I'm sure I'll get faster at building with practice though.

Gods, having time for hobbies that aren't studying Japanese is BLISS!! I'm loving this.

Comment

your house looks beautiful! I've been doing some "dream house" things myself lately but nothing this nice
            Circe

Comment

I did a bit more today. I was on JP's PC so I have no idea where the screenshorts were saved. I'm much happier with the interior now. I put some plants around the place, added detail to the furniture and switched the coloured wool for proper carpet.

I don't know how much others bother with horses. They're still so buggy, but, has anyone else had problems with the leads randomly vanishing and horses wondering off? I was playing on JP's PC, as he's out tonight and it's his machine that runs the server and not only did I ruin his tracks because I spawned in the minecart going round in circles and being attacked by a baby zombie (why does it always put you back in survival mode even if you saved the game in creative?), but I also noticed twice that his horse was lose and re-tethered it only for it to eventually vanish altogether. It happened to mine twice too.

I finished the indoor arena tonight. Well, there's the roof to finish but it's HUGE and I'd already built a glowstone ceiling. I was starting to go cross-eyed so I decided to go and work on something else (namely, a bridal path that joins my home with JP's and cuts through a mountain!).

I hope you'll be willing to share some pics when your dream house is finished. I actually came back to this thread earlier today and checked out the images you and Gardenia shared here. I'd forgotten how good they were actually. Now that I've had a go at building myself, I appreciate the work that went into them all the more!

Comment

The tethers do randomly disappear so I wouldn't rely on them too much. They can also break if they get knockbacked too far. Fences are buggy too. Animals can randomly escape from them so it's safer to use double layer of fence/nether fece or put them in a pit, though for aesthetics that isn't great.

It's good to spread your work around, doing one thing gets monotonous and irritating. I usually have several builds I'l work on at once.

I actually have never had it switch my game mode after saving. It always stays on what I have. This might be because I run a cracked version but it's odd.

I'm almost done with this house I started. Just have to finish the roof/second floor area. I might move around and build a few more things too. I started a new world and it's sorta awesome with tons of different biomes along a long river. spawn in taiga, north ice plains, south swamp, forest and desert.

You could switch modes when you start. go into peaceful so nothing attacks while you switch to creative, unless you're using hostile mobs for decoration (I've said it before but I love keeping witches as shop keepers or in the jail and it's a pain to put them all back when I forget and go into peaceful)
                Circe

Comment

Okay! here's my lovely home all finished. The spot where I spawned was real pretty I thought so I built it right there on the river bend.
                  Spoiler!

max allocated images reached so I'll post the upstairs and basement after someone else posts or it lets me post again.
                  Circe

Comment

Maximum allocated images per post reached so I'll continue here
                    Spoiler!

- - - Updated - - -

I made a barn (well I'm going to call it a barn) .
                    Spoiler!

- - - Updated - - -

Oh I repeated one image of the house and left out the front door one. Here's that.
                    Circe

Comment

Woah! I LOVE those! Where do I start? I'm very impressed by the way you've done the inderiors. That dining table! ^^ If I ever make a building big enough, I'm so stealing that idea. The detail you put into the exterior is impressive too, it really adds time to the build, but the end product is definitely worth the effort. Haha, I like that you can have a snow golem indoors when you build a house in snow zones. Too bad I'm in swamp. It was always my plan to live in swamp though. I think I'll build my shrine to the Enderman god and a temple where I can brew up my potions, on the otherside of the lake to my cottage.

I've been pondering over how to do the roof on my riding arena. I think as it's a similar shape, although mines a bit smaller (35x23) I might do something similar to your barn now that I've seen it. I was going to make it flat so I could build a mooncatcher like Sjin did on his fortress (I don't know if you've ever seen that, but I'm sure 'sjin evil fortress mooncatcher' in a youtube search would take you right too it if you're interested. It's a cool idea), but seeing how it looks on your barn, I've made up my mind!

My cottage is very small, so there's not much I can do in terms of decoration, but I like what I've come up with. I've had to ask JP to upload the images to my photobucket profile as I'm at work. I seem to have only taken images of the upstairs,or JP has only uploaded those, so I'll have to come back when I'm not at work and update with the downstairs.

I think I'll steal your spoiler bar idea..

Spoiler!

Not much to look at, but here's the inside of my riding area:

Spoiler!

This isn't mine, but it seems JP has uploaded an image of his sandstone bridge (he made a huge railway.. he's always wanted a trainset ^^).

Spoiler!

Too bad his giant robot isn't here...

- - - Updated - - -

Wait.. looking at your builds again... why on earth didn't I use cauldrons as water buckets for the horses? I'm SOO doing that when I'm next playing. Oh, that'll be so long now, I'm on 4 back to back nights

Comment

Wow that bridge is amazing! I like the cabinets in your house. Using frames was a cool idea. You'll have to take a pic of the robot some time. You told me about it before and it sounds awesome. The riding arena looks cool. I like the glowstone ceiling.

If you live in a swamp you could keep a snow golem if you wanted to. They only melt in the "hot" biomes (desert, jungle and the nether) but snow proofing everything is a pain. On the upside my house could be pitch black and still safe since mobs dont spawn on half blocks and snow proofing involves making everything half blocks. Snow golems have pretty low health and they die (melt) when they come in contact with fire or water (including rain) or wander into a warm biome. Since they attack hostile mobs and don't do damage they're also rather suicidal, however they are immune to fall damage so that's something. I used the pressure plate idea a few times in my old creative mode houses but I had to remove them on this one because my wives kept escaping (that sounds so wrong out of context..). I don't really know how to help with your hostile mob issue I'm usually playing on creative because I usually just build so it's rarely a problem for me.

The tiniest slimes don't do damage with their attacks so if you rename them with a tag you can keep them as pets. since they're still technically hostile mobs though you can't tether them and they'll still try to attack you though. Since they're native to the swamps it makes more sense than snow golems. You could use an iron golem too but it's size might make it difficult for it to move around inside.

The moon catcher looks kinda cool but I think it looks a bit awkward to have a giant stone circle just sitting there. I might try to think of something to do with that later because I do like the idea.

I'm glad you liked my builds! I'm kinda just playing around since I dont really know what else to do now. I built the barn because it felt weird keeping animals in my basement. I explored the world some more and I've found every biome except ocean and mushroom in it pretty close by so there's lots of possibilities. I've been using cauldrons as sinks because it's so much easier and better looking than making a ringed water block for a sink. Plus it's safer since water kills my snow golems (hence why the bathroom is the only room with a door, though I guess that makes sense regardless of the snow golems or not).
                        Circe

Comment

Hey, I didn't know that about baby slimes. I've slashed down a few of the blighters lately and never noticed the babies don't harm you.

JP tamed some zombies recently.. I wish I could remember their names. They all ended up wandering into lava though. I told him about your fish tank idea, but he said he wanted them there for protection.

I'll see if I can convince him to photograph the robot. It was the first thing he ever made, so I think he's embarrassed.

I'm sure I won't be the first person to make bedroom furniture that way, but I was pleased that I thought of it myself. I added trapdoors to the kitchen units downstairs, the same way you did on bookshelves to make a TV unit (I was very impressed by that BTW). I don't have a sink actually, maybe I should add one.

I had a little giggle when I was reading your post, because you kept saying, 'we have...' Like, you were including your wife in that. I also liked her name. I don't know if you knew this or not, but the Japanese will use 'hime' in the sense of 'a diva' or 'spoilt brat', like, a female who stamps her feet and gets angry when she doesn't get her own way. So I imagined her this way!

Comment

thats exactly like she is! always ignoring me and jumping up on the counter (the only spot in the house not snow proof) whenever I get near her and we're in the kitchen. Sometimes she just stands in a corner or other times hides behind things and peaks out and stares at me. Snow golem behavior is ... interesting.I actually didn't know that the Japanese used it in that way though. I only knew it meant princess or goddess so I combined it with yuki because I'm horribly unoriginal. Long story short she's a cold shrew. I didn't even realize I was saying "we" nice catch XD.

Zombies as protection from what? .-. the only thing they would attack is you or other players. Maybe a trench filled with zombies or an inner wall area that you have to pass through to get into the place? you could rig some pistons to make a cage type thing to open to release the zombies on intruders.

I didn't come up with the trapdoor thing myself but I rather like it too. If you put them on a two stack of iron it's like a fridge. I didn't have space in my kitchen after I'd thought of it. Plus I live in a taiga biome so I could stick things outside to freaze them. I might copy your furniture at some point because I like the way it looks. if you put glowstone or redstone lamp (on) behind a painting the light shows through, which is a nice touch if you want to make a tv unit.

- - - Updated - - -

I was rereading earlier posts and you talked about mob worshiping villages and I suggested imprisoning a wither for skeleton village but couldnt figure out how to. Well if you turn off the mob griefing rule it can't break blocks so you could just cage it (this also stops creepers and ghast explosions from breaking blocks). Alternatively you could use bedrock. I don't think it will despawn if you dont name it but it will try to kill anything it can see that isn't undead. If Jp wants protection nothing like what's essentially a god for that, aside from the whole it's trying to destroy all life thing

- - - Updated - - -

I think my next project might be a giant christmas tree. I've still got tons of ice plains/taiga land
                            Circe

Comment

Sorry I haven't replied here for a while. Work has been mad crazy because 3 people have transferred to a different service and we have 3 new people, but they're not fully trained, meaning the usual staff are picking up extra shifts.. All great fun ^^

I have all kinds of minecraft news. I've taken screen shots of the downstairs of my cottage, but I'd rather upload those when I have other things to share too.. like the enderman statue.

I wanted to ask if anyone has experienced bubbles yet? I mean in the ocean? We'd never seen them before and a quick google didn't find anything about them, but they definitely exist. Little rectangular chunks of the ocean where you can breath if you enter. The world looks so weird through them too.

JP is building a tadis. He can't make it very well at the scale he is working. I made a nice-ish one, but it has to be giant. JP wants it to scale, so there's no choice but to make it ugly and barely recognisable. What it looks like isn't the important part though. He's set it up with a command block so that when you walk inside the narrow blue box, you are instantly teleported to the control room (which isn't finished: I just spent 2 hours in the server with him, clearing out a mountain!). He eventually plans on making several of these boxes.. more and more as long as we play, that take you to various different worlds, ancient egypt, Edo era Japan.. various alien worlds. All built within the same world of course. Although he hasn't done it yet, he THINKS he can make it so you flip a button and it randomly changes where the teleport takes you. If you went to the wrong place, you can just turn around, walk into the tardis you teleported in front of, and instantly be taken back to the control room. It's an ambitious project, but sure beats his model railway!

Finally, I really wanted to share these. There are some great mods out there, but these are by far my favourites. They are just oozing with win..

Also, if the spawn rate was a bit lower, like it was meant to be, maybe as low as Enderman, this would be the best mob ever.. there are better spotlights, but I'm the Yogscast's b*tch.. I just love these guys, the whole bloody team! So I'm sharing this version:

- - - Updated - - -

Oh there was more.. I forgot. Has anyone seen the 'super secret settings' button on the menu screen? JP clicked it when trying to help me with my settings this morning and everything went crazy. My vision went upside down to begin with, then the image went negative, then there was like a TV screen boarder and the picture looked black and white.. how long has this feature existed?

Comment

There was EVEN more. I forgot that I wanted to share this.. now, I love Minecraft music videos at the best of times, but this one just sends shivers up my spine.. it is so well animated. I've loved it for a while, but this morning, JP found the sequel to it. You need to see both of course...

Then the sequel, just as epic..

I LOVE MINECRAFT!!! Everything about this universe just has me in awe. I could so easily lose myself in the world of minecraft and never return.

Comment

Working...
                                X