Autumn equinox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Autumn equinox

I don't know much that I can do. Maybe i'll figure something out. We'll probably eat spaghetti, it's a rare treat for us, yummy! *drools at the thought* I know spaghetti isn't mabon-ish food but...whatever. I can't eat many mabon foods for medical reasons I'll observe it in some way, even if it's just a thought and little meditation or something.

Comment

I read somewhere that in the days when battles were fought in summer, with only the highest profile prisoners taken, and in winter food was scarce, Madron was a time for releasing those prisoners so they could return to their families before winter set in and so the tribe/clan didn't have to feed extra mouths. I also read that a modern interpretation on that is to try and release all our emotional "prisoners" - our doubts and fears, things that have been troubling us, old regrets and arguments, pay off debts (financial or in kind) etc. as part of our Madron "celebrations" and to try to make amends where we can, so we're ready for a new start in the new year when it comes.

I'm making this part of my Madron celebration, although I see it more as an ongoing thing that I will try to actively do from now until Samhain.

I also tried making a Harvest wheel from apples, although that hasn't gone as well as I'd hoped.

Comment

We celebrated on Sat, so L could participate. Couldn't afford to do much, but we had red meat for the first time in a few months...that was a very big deal to my kids! Apples and cabbage, too. We ended up talking about the story of Idunn being stolen and the Aesir losing her and her apples. We also talked about what at equinox is, and how we can keep balance in our lives. That was as much as my seven year old could handle.
        Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

Originally posted by Dez View Post
          We celebrated on Sat, so L could participate. Couldn't afford to do much, but we had red meat for the first time in a few months...that was a very big deal to my kids! Apples and cabbage, too. We ended up talking about Pomona and where "the Baby Sun King" is on his yearly journey (and that he's not really a baby right now). We also talked about what the equinox is, and how we can keep balance in our lives. That was as much as my six year old could handle.
          Changed to reflect what we did...

Also, I'm reading a book called Nature and the Human Soul, and while I think some of it is BS-y, some of it is quite good, and we are trying to incorporate some of his ideas into our WoTY
          Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
          sigpic

Comment

It just won't end!! I started celebrating on Saturday, when I kicked off the weekend with a formal ritual, then I went out with my Japanese friends on Mabon itself, which had significance because I'm celebrating my success in language learning, as my 'harvest' this year so going out and chatting with my friends in said language, was a fitting way to celebrate (in fact, I kind of viewed that day as bringing in the harvest, or 'taming the dragon' to use my other metaphor for learning Japanese). Then yesterday, I continued to celebrate by meeting with my dad. We drank wine and played the QI board game (a question about imbolc came up, weirdly enough, as well as one about dragons blood resin!). I thought it was all over, but I'm in a witchy mood today, so I'm sitting here listening to the pagan playlist I made for myself on Youtube. It inspired me to invite my mum and niece over for a few hours tonight, while JP is working late. It will be the first time my niece has celebrated a sabbat with me, so that will be nice. I'll put out a little spread of party food I think, and maybe give her grapejuice or non-alcoholic wine.

This Mabon doesn't know when to quit, but I love it! I've always really loved this time of year anyway and this year I feel like I have little twinkling pentagrams in my eyes!

(Return to Innocence is playing, and it's on JP's PC. which runs via our TV. Dolly is staring at the screen, watching the video, it's so cute..)
            夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
              Changed to reflect what we did...

Also, I'm reading a book called Nature and the Human Soul, and while I think some of it is BS-y, some of it is quite good, and we are trying to incorporate some of his ideas into our WoTY
              Buahahaha...did you also have issues getting your little guy to pay attention to anything?
              Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

Working...
              X