Upon Waking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upon Waking

I've been working on a simple ritual to do in the morning upon waking. Something that will help me focus a bit and put my mind, body and spirit in a more healthy and mindful state as I begin my day.

I've tried a few but found it wasn't easy to remember and very easy to be lazy about. But I've also found that when I do make a conscious effort to start my day better, the day usually goes better. Amazing how that works, huh?

I'm wondering what others do and would greatly appreciate any advice about this.

Thank you!

Re: Upon Waking

I've found that the best way to start my day is to wake up very, very early in the morning. Usually when it's still dark out, around 4:30-5:00. As soon as I wake up, I write down what I remember from my dreams the night before. Then I light some incense and candles on my altar and meditate for about 30 minutes. Usually some form of Loving Kindness Meditation. I do a short little work out, maybe take a walk around the block. Then I eat breakfast with coffee and tea while I watch/read something that brings my day to a good start. Maybe some Duncan Trussell Family Hour. After that I like to write for a bit.

I'm not the best at keeping up with mine, though :P But I have found that this little routine makes the whole day better and brightens my spirit something fierce. I'm curious to hear about some of yours, though

Comment

There can be quite some time between my waking and getting out of bed, not because I am lazy, but because everything hurts. But my routine - regardless of pain - is to say 'Another day! Great!'

And it works for me every time.

Because really, the alternatives are not that great
      www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

I created a very cheesy but kind of effective morning ritual when I was at university. I made a point of showering every morning, and I would imagine the water was pure cleansing spiritual energy and all the unnecessary negative gunk in my aura was being physically washed off me. I'll have to quickly grab my BOS from the time to remember what I used to chant, (I wrote it myself and I'm no poet, so don't expect much)

Here we are! I would say, *clears throat* (I hope I did write this and it doesn't turn out to be from Silver Ravenwolf or something.. I'm pretty sure this is a Jembru original, but...);

I call upon the ancient power,
        To cleanse my spirit as I shower,
        Sparkling water, running clear,
        Wash away all hate and fear,
        Lord and Lady hear your daughter,
        As I stand in running water,
        May all negativity be washed away,
        So I'll stay positive throughout this day.'
        I loved it at the time, until I proudly told my High Priestess from the Fellowship of Isis about it, who told me that it's not such a good idea to attempt to remove all negative energy and emotions as they sometimes serve a purpose. When I was doing my second degree, this same idea came up and I spent a lot of time exploring the value of so-called 'negative' energy. Since then I've tried to use the terms, 'harmful energy' and 'beneficial energy' but I often forget.

I'm a lover of cheesy witchcraft and relish in reading fluff. There was a book called 'Magick for the Wild Woman' that I borrowed from the library years ago. This had a really cute morning ritual where you used the act of making your cup of tea as though you were brewing up a potion of good luck for the day. I have a slightly re-written version in this same volume of my BOS.

The thing that makes both of those rituals so good, is that they are incorporated into activities you'll be doing as part of your morning routine anyway, so they don't require any extra time to be set aside.

I also always used to do a prayer at my altar in the morning. In fact, I think for about 3 solid years, not a single day went by where I failed to do my morning devotion. Then I started to slip until I no longer did it consistently. Since returning to paganism after losing my faith, it's something I never adopted again. I don't think it helps that I work nights though. My ritual on waking these days, is to catch up with my flashcards on Anki (flashcard program for language learners), which isn't very witchy at all.. :s
        夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

I do two things...I meditatively drink a cup of tea (nearly every morning), and we do a mini-ritual as a family (most mornings, but if not, something similar at the end of the day for the end of the day)--If I remember, I'll post it later when I'm home.
          Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
          sigpic

Comment

I've become quite a slacker in my morning "ritual" since it's darker now and I have a much more difficult time talking myself out of bed. What I generally do though is a 15-30 minute meditation with some incense and then 30-45 minutes of yoga. I found it a great help to me when I was doing it everyday and I started out the morning on a much more positive note.

Comment

What about incorporating some kind of affirmations while drinking your morning tea or something similar?
              "The doer alone learneth." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

Pretty much anything that you do can be done with intention so that it has meaning beyond the physical. There are things that you do every morning, so find ways to make these intentional acts. An example might be brushing your hair -- visualize it as removing negativity at the spiritual level. That may not be a great example, but it is good enough for you know whether it is the sort of approach that could work for you. You may be a guy who shaves his head slick, but shaving could be a metaphor as easily. Choose something that is removed during the morning routine and process it as a removing something undesirable at a spiritual level, then choose something that is added during the morning routine and visualize it as adding something desirable at the spiritual level.

"No, no, you're not thinking; you're just being logical." -- Niels Bohr

Comment

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
                  I'm a lover of cheesy witchcraft and relish in reading fluff. There was a book called 'Magick for the Wild Woman' that I borrowed from the library years ago. This had a really cute morning ritual where you used the act of making your cup of tea as though you were brewing up a potion of good luck for the day. I have a slightly re-written version in this same volume of my BOS.

The thing that makes both of those rituals so good, is that they are incorporated into activities you'll be doing as part of your morning routine anyway, so they don't require any extra time to be set aside.

I also always used to do a prayer at my altar in the morning. In fact, I think for about 3 solid years, not a single day went by where I failed to do my morning devotion. Then I started to slip until I no longer did it consistently. Since returning to paganism after losing my faith, it's something I never adopted again. I don't think it helps that I work nights though. My ritual on waking these days, is to catch up with my flashcards on Anki (flashcard program for language learners), which isn't very witchy at all.. :s
                  I must admit I am also a lover of the fluffy side of the craft and I pretty much do as you do of a morning.

The very moment I open my eyes I am thankful that I am looking at a roof and a bed (and my fur babies) as many wake up in a desert, without food or a in imprisonment or not at all. The greatest direction/ritual I can give myself each day is that of appreciation to the God/Goddess/Universe for the wonderful gift I have been given called life.

I drink a cup of rose and vanilla tea with vanilla oat milk each morning. Yes, because I love the taste but also because of the sacred meaning of the rose and the connection with so many culture and brotherhood wisdoms, particularly the Rosicrucian order. As I am OCD about hygiene, showers are a big part of my life (along with house cleaning)... I utilize showers for cleansing of negative energies from the day before (if any at all) from my own body. In my shower I have back jet rocks carved with gold emblems of water (Goddess) and candles around the place. I actually enjoy housework to balance the energies in my home. I live in a very 'hedge' and symbolically decorated 'pagan' home and the visionary stimulation while cleaning is very comforting.
                  My posts are generally sent from my cell fone. Please excuse my brevity, and spelling/grammar errors.

Comment

Thank you for sharing your personal rituals. I'm beginning to realize that I need to find something that has meaning for myself and how I want my day to progress.

I'll be honest and say that right now I'm on a path to re-examine and correct certain things in my life. And for me, that starts with spiritual matters first.

I think I understand what needs to be done. But it's my experience that the spirit guides in my life will always help me correct and adjust them as I go along. I am so fortunate in that regard!

Thank you, everybody!
                    Last edited by Terrabus; 24 Sep 2013, 21:11. Reason: grammar

Comment

Originally posted by Terrabus View Post
                      Thank you for sharing your personal rituals. I'm beginning to realize that I need to find something that has meaning for myself and how I want my day to progress.

I'll be honest and say that right now I'm on a path to re-examine and correct certain things in my life. And for me, that starts with spiritual matters first.

I think I understand what needs to be done. But it's my experience that the spirit guides in my life will always help me correct and adjust them as I go along. I am so fortunate in that regard!

Thank you, everybody!
                      Good luck to you on your journey!

Comment

My morning routine is far from the same every morning. Whenever I happen to wake up, I do a ritual for Ganesha, and that sometimes happens by myself, other times I'm carrying a toddler on my hip while I sing Ganesha's mantra. Sometimes I have the time to do the full 108 recitations, but usually I don't.
                        It's not perfect but it's what I can manage right now!

Comment

I've started doing yoga in the mornings, just 10 min. I'll see how it goes...
                          ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
                          Seen the desert and the birds
                          You cut your hair short
                          Like a shush to an insult
                          The world had been yelling
                          Since the day you were born
                          Revolting with anger
                          While it smiled like it was cute
                          That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment